• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Advice Please: all-season tire with "three peak" designation

ljrullman

I have a 2014 MKZ AWD 4 cyl with ecoboost, 245/40/19 and looking for an all season with three-peak designation (not a true snow tire but better than regular all season, reportedly). I can't find any on Tire Rack or the Ford/Lincoln sites. Any advice on a tire that would fit or generally on these tires? Thanks.

bbf2530

I have a 2014 MKZ AWD 4 cyl with ecoboost, 245/40/19 and looking for an all season with three-peak designation (not a true snow tire but better than regular all season, reportedly). I can't find any on Tire Rack or the Ford/Lincoln sites. Any advice on a tire that would fit or generally on these tires? Thanks.
Hi ljrullman. It may just be that Severe Snow Service Rated (Three Peak) All-Season category tires are not available or not readily/easily available in the 2014 MKZ's 18"-19" size. For example, there are 4 Severe Snow Service Rated (Three Peak) All-Season category tires in the 17" size. But none in an 18"-19" size.

After taking a look for you, if you really want "Severe Snow Service Rated" tires, I believe you may need to purchase them in the Winter/Snow tire category, instead of All-Season, due to the particular 18"-19" OEM sizes of the MKZ wheels. Or settle for non-Severe Snow Service All-Seasons, if you insist on All-Seasons.

Read this link and follow the instructions which state "You can find Premium Traction (Severe Snow Service Rated) tires on the Tire Rack website by using the "Severe Snow Service Rated" filtering option in search results.": https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=341

You may need to purchase "Winter/Snow with Severe Snow Service Rated" instead of "All-Season Severe Snow rated", due to the particular 18"-19" OEM sizes of the MKZ wheels.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

ljrullman

Thanks for the reply... indeed, I figured that might be the case. If I buy the tires filtered in that way, I fear they may be actual snow tires which means I would need to swap them out after winter, no?

bbf2530

Thanks for the reply... indeed, I figured that might be the case. If I buy the tires filtered in that way, I fear they may be actual snow tires which means I would need to swap them out after winter, no?
Hi ljrullman. It seems that Severe Snow Service Rated (Three Peak) tires are not available in an All-Season tire which will fit the MKZ's 19" wheels. So while you don't have to swap them out, it would make sense to, since they will not handle as well, wear faster and ride rougher than an All-Season rated tire in warmer weather.

Old89TC

I've read that the Toyo Celsius tires are supposed to be as good as snow tires yet they're designed to be used in all seasons. I'm going to post & hopefully get some user opinions.

ljrullman

Thanks to everyone who answered. I learned while there are several all-season tires with the three peak winter symbol for smaller sizes, for the 245/40/19 there is literally only one on the market at present: Vredestein Quatrac Pro (due out in December and replaces the Quatrac 5). I never heard of the tire so researched it extensively - Tire Rack carries it (and nobody locally carries it) and I spoke to them as well. It priced well and the reviews are excellent. It's from the Netherlands, common in Europe for decades, and is new to the U.S. So, the other good suggestions you made for all-season with three peak winter symbol just aren't made in my tire size. I don't want to swap tires on/off every winter. I've not been impressed with the MKZs AWD winter handling (I had a Volvo before this) so I'm hoping this helps a bit. Thanks again.

HTML