Adjusting navigation sound

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

mfjj

The voice navigation is too loud for me. I know I can only adjust it while the sound is on, but I'm having a hard time catching those moments, and when I thought I had done it the setting didn't seem to stick. For example, if I turned down the volume mid-sentence, the sound did get lower toward the end of that sentence, but the loud volume would return at the next turn. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

bbf2530

The voice navigation is too loud for me. I know I can only adjust it while the sound is on, but I'm having a hard time catching those moments, and when I thought I had done it the setting didn't seem to stick. For example, if I turned down the volume mid-sentence, the sound did get lower toward the end of that sentence, but the loud volume would return at the next turn. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Hi mfjj. You adjust the volume of the NAV system with the volume knob, while the NAV system is speaking. So yes, it sounds as though you are attempting to adjust it correctly.

If it is not holding the adjusted volume properly, you should have this looked at by your Lincoln Dealer. Hopefully your vehicle is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty, or an ESP Plan that will cover the costs?

When you bring it in, physically demonstrate the issue to them. Do not just tell them about the problem, hand them the keys, and leave it up to them to find the issue.
By demonstrating the issue and having them experience it in front of you, you can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customer concern" diagnosis.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

mfjj

Hi mfjj. You adjust the volume of the NAV system with the volume knob, while the NAV system is speaking. So yes, it sounds as though you are attempting to adjust it correctly.

If it is not holding the adjusted volume properly, you should have this looked at by your Lincoln Dealer. Hopefully your vehicle is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty, or an ESP Plan that will cover the costs?

When you bring it in, physically demonstrate the issue to them. Do not just tell them about the problem, hand them the keys, and leave it up to them to find the issue.
By demonstrating the issue and having them experience it in front of you, you can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customer concern" diagnosis.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks for the advice! I have a 2022 Corsair GT. I think I'll wait until more issues pop up before I take it to the dealer. Can anyone with the current SYNC update confirm that you do NOT have this problem? My NAV volume seems to always return to "6" after I turn it down.

bbf2530

Thanks for the advice! I have a 2022 Corsair GT. I think I'll wait until more issues pop up before I take it to the dealer. Can anyone with the current SYNC update confirm that you do NOT have this problem? My NAV volume seems to always return to "6" after I turn it down.

Hi mfjj. "6" is not very loud. Just taking a guess here, but perhaps that is the default minimum volume setting, unless you have the system set to mute/no verbal instructions, which I believe gives a simple "Ding" each time a direction/turn is coming up?

Again, just a guess, since 6 is not very loud, at least on my NAV system.

I'll try to remember to check this on my system when I have a chance. But my traveling is minimal at this time, so it may take some time to get back with my observations.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Voidoid

Hi mfjj. "6" is not very loud. Just taking a guess here, but perhaps that is the default minimum volume setting, unless you have the system set to mute/no verbal instructions, which I believe gives a simple "Ding" each time a direction/turn is coming up?

I'll try to remember to check this on my system when I have a chance. But my traveling is minimal at this time, so it may take some time to get back with my observations.

Although 6 might actually be a smidge loud if your car is running silently in electric mode!

mfjj

Ahhh... the system might have a minimum volume setting! That's an interesting concept and does make sense. I just wish it was 3 or 4, not 6. Anyway, this could be another "feature", and not a bug :)

bbf2530

Although 6 might actually be a smidge loud if your car is running silently in electric mode!

Hi Voidoid. Yes, you are correct and that is certainly a possibility. Plus the fact that some people have more sensitive hearing/ears than others. And "6" in a Corsaor may be louder than "6" in my MKZ.

Good luck.

syl

I don't think there's a minimum volume. At least I can say for sure that there isn't one in the 2020 Corsair Standard. I'm not sure where I keep the "Lincoln Lady" volume, but I've had it as low as 4 (maybe even 3?) on some trips, and it doesn't reset by itself. I adjust it to an appropriate level, and it stays there until I adjust again. The volume control on the steering wheel helps get it more quickly while the Lincoln Lady is speaking.

mfjj

I don't think there's a minimum volume. At least I can say for sure that there isn't one in the 2020 Corsair Standard. I'm not sure where I keep the "Lincoln Lady" volume, but I've had it as low as 4 (maybe even 3?) on some trips, and it doesn't reset by itself. I adjust it to an appropriate level, and it stays there until I adjust again. The volume control on the steering wheel helps get it more quickly while the Lincoln Lady is speaking.
Thanks very much for this valuable information! When you get a chance, could you check your SYNC version? Mine is 3.4 build 21194.

I have done some more experiments. I found that when I turned up the volume (to 12, for example) it did stay at that setting. But when I turned down the volume (to 3, for example) it always reverted to 6 when the next voice guidance came up. This seems to support the theory of a minimum volume setting.

syl

When you get a chance, could you check your SYNC version? Mine is 3.4 build 21194.
I'm sure enough that it's the same that I'll say it's the same. It got updated when my dealership addressed the rear-view camera recall, though, so my earlier posted results may in fact have taken place on a different sync build.
I have done some more experiments. I found that when I turned up the volume (to 12, for example) it did stay at that setting. But when I turned down the volume (to 3, for example) it always reverted to 6 when the next voice guidance came up. This seems to support the theory of a minimum volume setting.
Agreed. That might be worth my testing out. Note, though that my car doesn't get out much these days, so I can't promise I'll be reporting back about it any time soon.

Corsair21

I have the same issue. Seemingly there is no way to turn the volume down on the navigation guidance and get it to stay down. Any time I turn it down, it reverts automatically for the next instruction. 2021 Corsair Reserve, updated Sync.

syl

I found that when I turned up the volume (to 12, for example) it did stay at that setting. But when I turned down the volume (to 3, for example) it always reverted to 6 when the next voice guidance came up. This seems to support the theory of a minimum volume setting.
I managed to check that out tonight, and indeed I'm seeing the same behaviour. This is new to me (though I can't claim to know when it started doing this as I don't use the navigation that much, and the volume apparently is usually above "6"). I do recall some trips in the past where I might have had the navigation volume around "4" and it stayed there until I adjusted it again.

mfjj

I managed to check that out tonight, and indeed I'm seeing the same behaviour. This is new to me (though I can't claim to know when it started doing this as I don't use the navigation that much, and the volume apparently is usually above "6"). I do recall some trips in the past where I might have had the navigation volume around "4" and it stayed there until I adjusted it again.
Thanks for checking this! I guess it's an "undocumented feature", then.

bbf2530

Hi gang. Just a thought: Here is one possible reason which I can imagine, for a minimum default volume on restart. In this case "6" if that is actually what it is ( I was only hypothesizing earlier).

My theory: A driver or passenger turns the NAV volume down to "0"...by accident or even on purpose. Now, they want to turn it back up later. But we need to turn it up while the NAV voice is speaking. So if you can't hear the voice, how do we turn it up while it is speaking?

Yes, there are other ways to turn it up in the NAV settings, but let's face it, many owners never bother looking through the settings or their Owners Manual. If they did, this would be a very boring forum. ;)

So...if there was no minimum default volume, now we would have owners here complaining that they turned the NAV volume down to "0", and now can't get it turned up again, because they can't hear the NAV lady talking while it is at "0" in order to turn it back up.
So now they would posting to tell us all what a stupid feature it is that they are now stuck on "0".

And yes, a default minimum could have been chosen that was 1 though 6. But I am not even going to get into that discussion. :ROFLMAO:

Again, just a thought. Good luck.

Last edited:

syl

Yes, there are other ways to turn it up in the NAV settings, ...
You bring up an interesting point here. If this is indeed a minimum, perhaps the minimum is configurable in the settings?

bbf2530

You bring up an interesting point here. If this is indeed a minimum, perhaps the minimum is configurable in the settings?

Hi syl. Possibly. I've never had a need to know, so have never checked/noticed when I looked through the settings.

I will check when I have a chance, if someone else doesn't do it first. My wife and I aren't doing much going out and driving with the current situation nowadays.

Good luck.

mfjj

Hi gang. Just a thought: Here is one possible reason which I can imagine, for a minimum default volume on restart. In this case "6" if that is actually what it is ( I was only hypothesizing earlier).

My theory: A driver or passenger turns the NAV volume down to "0"...by accident or even on purpose. Now, they want to turn it back up later. But we need to turn it up while the NAV voice is speaking. So if you can't hear the voice, how do we turn it up while it is speaking?

Yes, there are other ways to turn it up in the NAV settings, but let's face it, many owners never bother looking through the settings or their Owners Manual. If they did, this would be a very boring forum. ;)

So...if there was no minimum default volume, now we would have owners here complaining that they turned the NAV volume down to "0", and now can't get it turned up again, because they can't hear the NAV lady talking while it is at "0" in order to tuen it back up. And then they would posting to tell us all what a stupid feature it is that they are now stuck on "0".

And yes, a default minimum could have been chosen that was 1 though 6. But I am not even going to get into that discussion. :ROFLMAO:

Again, just a thought. Good luck.
That's an excellent point! Ideally, though, the volume setting should be displayed and even customizable on the same screen where we enable audio guidance. If the driver doesn't hear the sound, that would be the logical place to check.

bbf2530

That's an excellent point! Ideally, though, the volume setting should be displayed and even customizable on the same screen where we enable audio guidance. If the driver doesn't hear the sound, that would be the logical place to check.

Hi mfjj. Yes, some people would certainly check the Audio settings first. Personally, I believe I would check NAV system settings, including NAV voice volume, in the NAV settings.
I don't feel either thought is wrong, but this is also why it is hard to make everyone happy all the time.

But again, let's all keep in mind that we are still only guessing that this is a minimum default volume issue.

I'll check mine the next time I have a chance.

Good luck.

Last edited:

mfjj

Hi mfjj. Yes, some people would certainly check the Audio settings first. Personally, I believe I would check NAV system settings, including NAV voice volume, in the NAV settings.
I don't feel either thought is wrong, but this is also why it is hard to make everyone happy all the time.
The screen I was referring to, where we enable audio guidance prompts, is indeed part of the navigation preferences. So I think we were talking about the same thing. If there really is a minimum guidance volume, this would be the most logical place to display it, and allow it to be adjusted.