Adjusting Camber

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Not very familiar with the 1992 Continental, but the front and rear suspension are independent and so allow camber changes, that may affect toe-in if adjusted.

The front McPherson strut fits into the knuckle and usually has 2 securing bolts. By loosening/removing the bolts the knuckle can be moved inward at the top for more negative camber or outward at the top for more positive camber. When the alignment machine says you have both adjusted to the correct angle then install new bolts and tighten to spec. The machine should then check the toe-in (or toe-out) since it may have changed.

The rear suspension is also air and may be the same/similar strut assembly. I will check and let you know.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I am wrong about the camber adjustment of the front suspension. The McPherson strut fits into the knuckle solidly, no adjustment. The lower control arm is most likely the place where the camber adjustment is. But I have yet to figure how the adjustment is made to lengthen the arm or shorten it. Likely the front suspension lower arm mounting to the chassis has some kind of cam adjustment that will lengthen or shorten the lower control arm to change the camber, but I don't know yet.

Using the 2001 Continental as an example of what the 1992 model is probably set-up as, here is an explanation of the 2001 model. The rear camber and toe-in of the rear suspension are adjusted through the 4 lower control arms. Each side has a pair of the parallel lower control arms that are mounted close to the center of the rear axle assembly. There is a cam in each of the 4 mounting points that can adjust the length of all 4 lower control arms independantly. To get camber adjustment the pair of arms are lengthened (or shortened) the same amount; to change the toe-in each pair of arms is adjusted the opposite way, to lengthen one arm and shorten the other which effectively turns the knuckle. Certainly not a simple job. It appears the cams can be purchased in a kit.

Hope this helps.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My 1992 thru 2002 Continental service manuals will not load to my Windows 10 system and I cannot find a definitive procedure on how to adjust the inboard lower control arm mounting. I did not save any procedures relating to camber adjustment for the front suspension.

So the most likely procedure is a cam or cam bolt securing the front lower control arm to the subframe. So the cams will move the lower control arm inward or outward to change the camber. Sorry I cannot find a more definitive answer.

Attached is the 2002 Continental rear suspension components that I assume is similar to your 1992 model. This relates to my post #3 above on how to adjust rear camber and toe-in.

Attachments

Themax

My 1992 thru 2002 Continental service manuals will not load to my Windows 10 system and I cannot find a definitive procedure on how to adjust the inboard lower control arm mounting. I did not save any procedures relating to camber adjustment for the front suspension.

So the most likely procedure is a cam or cam bolt securing the front lower control arm to the subframe. So the cams will move the lower control arm inward or outward to change the camber. Sorry I cannot find a more definitive answer.

Attached is the 2002 Continental rear suspension components that I assume is similar to your 1992 model. This relates to my post #3 above on how to adjust rear camber and toe-in.
Thank you I will check this out and let you know, may take a while, tools got stolen so.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thank you I will check this out and let you know, may take a while, tools got stolen so.
While you are waiting, you can check that the front lower control arm is a single forged unit (not a wishbone unit) with a stabilizer bar (called lower arm strut) mounted to middle of the lower control arm and angled toward the back and center of the car on the sub frame. The rear suspension should be two lower control arms (per side) mounted in the center of the rear axle assembly and the knuckle below the hub center line.

If that is not your configuration let me know.

Themax

While you are waiting, you can check that the front lower control arm is a single forged unit (not a wishbone unit) with a stabilizer bar (called lower arm strut) mounted to middle of the lower control arm and angled toward the back and center of the car on the sub frame. The rear suspension should be two lower control arms (per side) mounted in the center of the rear axle assembly and the knuckle below the hub center line.

If that is not your configuration let me know.
This is not a wishbone, it's a single unit, half shaft

HTML