Adaptive Suspension on 2022 Corsair?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Woody45

Hi all...I'm thinking of ordering a 2022 Corsair with Adaptive Suspension and would like some feedback from anyone with knowledge of how, and how well, the system works. Unfortunately, none of the dealers in my area have a car with Adaptive Suspension to test drive.

My understanding is that the system does not have an air suspension and is not informed by a camera (road preview). So how does the system actually adjust the ride? Electronically controlled dampers on the coil springs? Are there different ride quality settings and can you disengage the system? And is the ride with Adaptive Suspension even "softer" than without the system?

Thanks in advance for any information or opinions.

HotrodLinkin

You probably won't find anyone here with answers to deeply specific questions like this. I suggest googling adaptive suspension, and/or visit the corvetteforum.com website. There are discussions in the C7 section. Just enter the search function with your key words.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
I can answer this partially. So with adaptive suspension its typically electronically controlled and allows you a better ride than traditional suspension. It also gives you the ability to adjust it based upon your drive mode. Example is excite (sport) will firm things up while normal or conserve will make it softer for a more pleasant ride. I believe it still has a suite of sensors to adjust based on how the road surface is to give better ride quality as well its just missing the road preview portion. I would highly recommend getting it based on my previous experience with it and to me definitely seems softer.

Woody45

Thanks silverdragon72. So it sounds like the impact on the suspension is not directly controllable by the driver. By that I mean, if you don't like the particular tuning in "normal" drive mode, you can't change it. My experience with similar systems is with Audi's implementation. They have a mode where you as the driver can directly set the suspension firmness to any setting you want.

The challenge for me will be evaluating how soft/firm the suspension is in the different modes without a test drive...and deciding if the option is worth the $1,025. Thanks again.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
Correct with the new mode system its controlled by what mode you are in. It use to be in the previous system which I preferred. Id say its worth the price from what I have seen and from what I can tell you Lincoln biases towards floaty comfort which is hopefully what you are going for. It also makes excite better if you care about such things as it firms things up when you are driving more aggressively.

PaddyH01

Illinois
Thanks silverdragon72. So it sounds like the impact on the suspension is not directly controllable by the driver. By that I mean, if you don't like the particular tuning in "normal" drive mode, you can't change it. My experience with similar systems is with Audi's implementation. They have a mode where you as the driver can directly set the suspension firmness to any setting you want.

The challenge for me will be evaluating how soft/firm the suspension is in the different modes without a test drive...and deciding if the option is worth the $1,025. Thanks again.
It is standard on the Grand Touring models.

marksand

Hi all.

I was reading about this I also considered whether or not I wanted this option. I don't believe it is tied 'directly' to the drive modes, as those modes are in the models without the Adaptive Suspension. The Lincoln website states.

'This technology uses a camera to monitor surface conditions ahead. Advanced computer software calculates the size, shape and position of any obstructions and adjusts the suspension of each wheel to effectively drive over them. It’s just another way your Lincoln gives you the smoothest ride possible and makes your journeys as comfortable as they can be.'

G-628693

They are tied to drive modes as well. Excite makes things significantly stiffer than normal

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
Hi all.

I was reading about this I also considered whether or not I wanted this option. I don't believe it is tied 'directly' to the drive modes, as those modes are in the models without the Adaptive Suspension. The Lincoln website states.

'This technology uses a camera to monitor surface conditions ahead. Advanced computer software calculates the size, shape and position of any obstructions and adjusts the suspension of each wheel to effectively drive over them. It’s just another way your Lincoln gives you the smoothest ride possible and makes your journeys as comfortable as they can be.'
It still does make a difference as the drive modes can affect how the engine/transmission or traction react even though it cant adjust suspension. Good example is Excite will give better throttle response, change shift points, and if you have adaptive suspension will make it significantly more rigid for performance reasons. It is very noticeable in the adaptive suspension and air ride suspension since I have used both as I didn't like the standard suspension.