Adaptive Headlights on 2018 MKX

dongeorge

I traded my 2013 MKX for a new 2018 MKX...on the 2013, the headlight did exactly what the manual said, on startup, they swept left, then right, then centered and when driving around corner, they pivoted. While the 2018 manual says the same thing.....its wrong.....I ordered the expensive stereo/adaptive headlight package assuming the headlight would do the same...NOT. With a lot of conversation at the dealership amongst themselves, the shop foreman printed off the shop manual. Adaptive LED headlights mean that the lights do not move, the outer bulbs brighten in intensity when the steering wheel is turned at night.. To be truthful, I notice no increased brightness. So.....don't expect any difference AND its really too bad the manual writers can"t get their facts straight (I guess they copy the majority of info from the previous years manual, perpetuating the same misinformation)

bbf2530

Hi Sagar. Adaptive LED headlights are not illegal in the U.S. I have them (factory option) on my 2018 MKZ. Perhaps there is some confusion as to what "Adaptive LED headlights" are.

Adaptive headlights or Adaptive LED headlights simply mean that the headlights turn, or brighten, (according to type of bulb) with the direction of the steering wheel (within a limited arc) to give some enhanced lighting in the direction we are turning.

They are relatively common on most higher end vehicles. And while I can't speak for the MKX, I can see the enhanced brightening in the direction I am turning when driving my MKZ.

Hope this information helps.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Hi Sagar. Adaptive LED headlights are not illegal in the U.S. I have them (factory option) on my 2018 MKZ. Perhaps there is some confusion as to what "Adaptive LED headlights" are.

Adaptive headlights or Adaptive LED headlights simply mean that the headlights turn, or brighten, (according to type of bulb) with the direction of the steering wheel (within a limited arc) to give some enhanced lighting in the direction we are turning.

They are relatively common on most higher end vehicles. And while I can't speak for the MKX, I can see the enhanced brightening in the direction I am turning when driving my MKZ.

Hope this information helps.
:

Ford develops smart headlights, but an old law will make them illegal in the U.S.

But, read the latest article which might make it legal soon.

NHTSA proposes to legalize 'matrix' adaptive LED headlights in the US

Also, the headlight switch has to be in "AUTO" position to make the adaptive system work is what remember reading.

bbf2530

Hi Sagar. Yes, I have read those articles previously and am familiar with the technology. The "Matrix Adaptive LED" headlights Ford is developing in that article, which Ford has named "Spot Lighting", are quite an advancement above and beyond current Adaptive LED technology. The "Matrix Adaptive LED" technology will essentially be on high beam all the time, but sense oncoming vehicles, pedestrians, obstructions etc, and dim in specific areas to better illuminate people/objects or avoid glare for oncoming vehicles.

Our cars have the current Adaptive LED technology, which are far more limited, only following steering input to swing lighting left and right in a limited arc, and are legal.

It is a fantastic lighting technology, although I worry that soon, replacing a headlight will become more expensive than a new car. ;)

Last edited:

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Hi Sagar. Yes, I have read thos articles previously and am familiar with the technology. The "matrix Adaptive LED" headlights Ford is developing in that article, which Ford has named "Spot Lighting", are quite an advancement above and beyond current Adaptive LED technology. The "Matrix Adaptive LED" technology will sense oncoming vehicles, pedestrians, obstructions etc, and brighten or dim to illuminate people/objects or avoid glare for oncoming vehicles.

Our cars have the current Adaptive LED technology, which only follow steering input to swing or illuminate left and right in a limited arc, and are legal.

It is a fantastic lighting technology, although I worry that soon, replacing a headlight will become more expensive than a new car. ;)
Its the same thing Audi's in Europe have had for some years now. Also, the next thing to look forward to will be laser lighting even more expensive than Matrix LEDs

bbf2530

Hi Sagar. Yes, the more advanced "Matrix Adaptive LED" technology is legal and available in Europe, but not in the U.S.. We certainly agree on that.

However, just to make the original discussion clear for others who may read this, concerning your statements to dongeorge in post 2 that "Adaptive LEDs are not legal in US" and "The feature is there but its disabled on your car": We already have Adaptive LED headlights in the U.S and they are legal. And his MKX has working Adaptive LED headlights and there are no Adaptive LED or Matrix LED features "disabled" on Lincolns. We don't want people reading this and thinking Adaptive LED headlights are not legal in the U.S. or that we have additional Adaptive LED or Matrix LED features that can be enabled on our Lincolns.

Thanks for the links and good luck. :)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML