• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Adaptive Cruise Control

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
A little update. Brakes are great. They smoothed out with some use, so they're now smooth clear through a total stop. At this point, I'll highly recommend them, as long as they hold up to more mountainous driving and abuse.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Thanks for the update. This might be something I might want to do around 25K miles on mine.. (at 19K now but brakes are a just namesake good). With the additional bite in the braking, do you have the ABS kicking in or sounding similar rough like it did on the stock brakes?

I really hate it when it activates the ABS when slowing down from high speeds.. always feels like the ABS kicks in 'too' soon.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
My tires aren't the greatest, but I can't say I have an unusual amount of ABS action. Your issue sounds more like your tires aren't gripping very well. On that note, we've had some pretty lousy weather for a while, so I tend to brake early and gradually. In bad weather, I have noticed the ABS kicks in a little sooner than before, but only because the brakes are biting a lot harder than before, so that's expected.

In all fairness, I can't say for sure if my brakes were original. At 88k miles, it's possible the rears were, but I have doubts the about the fronts. Honestly, I have no clue what was on it.

I will say this about these brakes: you MUST break them in properly. That was one thing I saw discussed numerous times regarding Brake Motive and Power Stop brakes in my periodic research of them. The break-in procedure is listed with the pictures in the listing. The more slow-downs I made, the harder the brakes were biting.

I'll get a better idea of their true performance next weekend, when I take a mountainous trip 150 miles away. That's where drilled and slotted rotors should shine for a heavy daily driver, providing the weather isn't bad, and I'm forced to drive slower than usual.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
My tires aren't the greatest, but I can't say I have an unusual amount of ABS action. Your issue sounds more like your tires aren't gripping very well. On that note, we've had some pretty lousy weather for a while, so I tend to brake early and gradually. In bad weather, I have noticed the ABS kicks in a little sooner than before, but only because the brakes are biting a lot harder than before, so that's expected.

In all fairness, I can't say for sure if my brakes were original. At 88k miles, it's possible the rears were, but I have doubts the about the fronts. Honestly, I have no clue what was on it.

I will say this about these brakes: you MUST break them in properly. That was one thing I saw discussed numerous times regarding Brake Motive and Power Stop brakes in my periodic research of them. The break-in procedure is listed with the pictures in the listing. The more slow-downs I made, the harder the brakes were biting.

I'll get a better idea of their true performance next weekend, when I take a mountainous trip 150 miles away. That's where drilled and slotted rotors should shine for a heavy daily driver, providing the weather isn't bad, and I'm forced to drive slower than usual.
I still have the stock tires from factory. I drive super cautious is snow conditions because these tires are useless (M+S should have said B+S!)

I notice this early ABS kicking in when I drive hard during dry summer weather. I beat on the car a lot.. so when I am around 80-90mph and I have to brake, the ABS kicks in even if I am braking without the sense of urgency, this is something I have been pointing out to the lincoln techs time to time. They beleive the brakes are the culprit which I think would make sense as they are not really great brakes to begin with!

KennyG

Hi KennyG. Lincoln has a 48 month/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Are you also past the 48 month point?
Sorry, didn't see your post until just today. Yes, I am second owner, car was first titled in 12/2014. Currently, it is working just fine. If all the issues the dealer wanted to fix were really the problem, it wouldn't "fix" itself mysteriously. That is what convinces me it is a software issue. I had a new battery installed sometime ago on a weekend when the Lincoln dealer was closed at a Ford "fastlane" service center. I suspect that after installing the battery, they didn't have the proper training and procedures to reflash the computer to assure that no glitches were induced by the battery dying and being replaced. I'm not sure though, I intend to take the car to a reliable non-factory electrical repair place that assures me they have the equipment to diagnose and fix the issue,,,but only if it reappears. As I said, right now, it's working fine.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
I have class 3 towing package as well. I dont think I will be using it anytime soon. I do however plan to attach a bike rack during the summer. BTW, how do you opne and cover for it? I tried to pull it but did not seem to budge easily.
Sorry for the late reply. See attached pictures. There are two knobs that turn at the bottom corners and there are two snaps at the top.

Attachments

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Sorry for the late reply. See attached pictures. There are two knobs that turn at the bottom corners and there are two snaps at the top.
Thanks a lot.! i will give it a try when the weather gets a little better. For some reason this website is not opening anymore on my home network. Opens up just fine at work!

HTML