About to order the Corsair but concern about the Consumer Report Survey ? Would appreciate the positive experiences from current owners !

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Corsart

My 5000k mi/7 mo. '20 Corsair has been flawless, and flawlessly assembled..and I am very fussy. I read the reports and hear the stores, but cannot account for them based on my own experience. There are many things that go into "Reliability", and there's no way to determine if the unit you might receive will be more or less so.

I tend to take the rantings/ramblings/grumblings/"Expertise" of strangers (and especially online strangers) with a grain of salt. Without knowing the author or the situation or the specifics, it's just a data point that matters mostly to them.

I've owned some fairly "unusual" cars not noted for their "reliability" and not had most or any of the problems described, and then again, I've had close friends who buy primarily bc of perceived "Reliability" and aside from the cappuccino, have had miserable experiences. It's a car, not a child..buy what you like and if it doesn't turn out the way you thought, use your warranty, and look elsewhere for the next one.

I really like my Corsair, it is a unique product in this segment, truly "Comfortable" in that old school way yet with decent road manners and modern style and worth the risk, a least for me. What's the value in buying some generic car that promises mostly "Reliability"?

Eric1GT

Ditto with what Corsart said! I’ve had my fully loaded 2021 reserve, except the sport package about 6 weeks and it too has been flawless. I have only occasionally hit the “press to talk” button on the steering wheel CR complained about but they did help me avoid the 2.3T engine saying the 2.0T was powerful enough. I typically drive in conserve mode so I wouldn’t even notice a major difference much of the time.

Like several on this forum I was also miffed Lincoln deleted the engine cover part. (But not from the manual where it is still pictured.) The most difficult aspect is since it is not supported even the expert parts guys going above and beyond to help me further had trouble locating the little ball stud needed to fully mount the cover. But now that I have it installed properly with the right studs it’s all good. It’s an appearance thing but it also helps a bit on sound deadening and definitely helps keep dirt and debris off the cylinder head and the rats nest of cables and hoses etc.

One main reason I upgraded from a 4 year old Kia Sportage was lately I’ve been interested in a 360 surround view camera. That’s been a huge help parking including the auto-assist parking! and I even use it to help guide me backing into my garage looking at white parking space lines just like a parking lot. Been working spectacularly! Before that I considered just pulling in straight like I had been doing with the Kia despite the convenience of the liftgate closer to my kitchen door for grocery hauling etc. Now I’m all set.

The perfect position seats were also worth every penny and I haven’t been on a long road trip yet where I know it will be nice to fire up the massage seats! Multiple lumbar was just what the doctor ordered as well. It was a wise sales rep who tactfully suggested that if I wasn’t thrilled with the base seat’s lumbar I might enjoy the upgraded seats. Can’t really put a price on that. 😎

I shopped for almost a month looking at Acura RDX, and Infiniti QX50, but I didn’t even test drive Lexus when they told me how great their synthetic leather seats were. Same with BMW X3 but I did enjoy the test drive. Also looked very briefly at Genesis GV70 but like BMW and Mercedes more more money for less features and they still sell Genesis at Hyundai dealerships here in Ohio.

The fit and finish are orders of magnitude better than during the decades Toyota was taking over. I’ve been very impressed with the quality and I got a much better deal than anything else I was looking at when it came time to look at the numbers. My Lincoln dealership is also upscale and more comfortable including the service lanes when dropping off for oil changes and the like.

Lastly on the battery I’ve been driving enough I’ve always got 12.71 volts when I test it. I do see the engine stops and then “randomly” restarts at traffic lights now that the outside temperatures are increasing and I have the AC on more. That concerned me at first before I learned many factors are considered when the engine turns off at traffic lights etc. That mode is defaulted and you must disable it every time you start the car if you don’t like it turning off the engine at traffics lights. It can be annoying and I have to wonder if the jury is still out on extra wear and tear on the engine?

Mature Driver

Ditto with what Corsart said! I’ve had my fully loaded 2021 reserve, except the sport package about 6 weeks and it too has been flawless. I have only occasionally hit the “press to talk” button on the steering wheel CR complained about but they did help me avoid the 2.3T engine saying the 2.0T was powerful enough. I typically drive in conserve mode so I wouldn’t even notice a major difference much of the time.

Like several on this forum I was also miffed Lincoln deleted the engine cover part. (But not from the manual where it is still pictured.) The most difficult aspect is since it is not supported even the expert parts guys going above and beyond to help me further had trouble locating the little ball stud needed to fully mount the cover. But now that I have it installed properly with the right studs it’s all good. It’s an appearance thing but it also helps a bit on sound deadening and definitely helps keep dirt and debris off the cylinder head and the rats nest of cables and hoses etc.

One main reason I upgraded from a 4 year old Kia Sportage was lately I’ve been interested in a 360 surround view camera. That’s been a huge help parking including the auto-assist parking! and I even use it to help guide me backing into my garage looking at white parking space lines just like a parking lot. Been working spectacularly! Before that I considered just pulling in straight like I had been doing with the Kia despite the convenience of the liftgate closer to my kitchen door for grocery hauling etc. Now I’m all set.

The perfect position seats were also worth every penny and I haven’t been on a long road trip yet where I know it will be nice to fire up the massage seats! Multiple lumbar was just what the doctor ordered as well. It was a wise sales rep who tactfully suggested that if I wasn’t thrilled with the base seat’s lumbar I might enjoy the upgraded seats. Can’t really put a price on that. 😎

I shopped for almost a month looking at Acura RDX, and Infiniti QX50, but I didn’t even test drive Lexus when they told me how great their synthetic leather seats were. Same with BMW X3 but I did enjoy the test drive. Also looked very briefly at Genesis GV70 but like BMW and Mercedes more more money for less features and they still sell Genesis at Hyundai dealerships here in Ohio.

The fit and finish are orders of magnitude better than during the decades Toyota was taking over. I’ve been very impressed with the quality and I got a much better deal than anything else I was looking at when it came time to look at the numbers. My Lincoln dealership is also upscale and more comfortable including the service lanes when dropping off for oil changes and the like.

Lastly on the battery I’ve been driving enough I’ve always got 12.71 volts when I test it. I do see the engine stops and then “randomly” restarts at traffic lights now that the outside temperatures are increasing and I have the AC on more. That concerned me at first before I learned many factors are considered when the engine turns off at traffic lights etc. That mode is defaulted and you must disable it every time you start the car if you don’t like it turning off the engine at traffics lights. It can be annoying and I have to wonder if the jury is still out on extra wear and tear on the engine?
Thanks Eric, did you settle for the 2.0 engine in the standard model ? Doesn’t the reserve come with the 2.3 ?

Thanks Eric, did you end up with the 2.0 engine in a standard or reserve edition ? Curious how you have tested other brands that also piqued my interest . Good to hear such positive feedback about the Corsair, which does meet most of my expectations. Very reassuring !

Eric1GT

Thanks Eric, did you settle for the 2.0 engine in the standard model ? Doesn’t the reserve come with the 2.3 ?

Thanks Eric, did you end up with the 2.0 engine in a standard or reserve edition ? Curious how you have tested other brands that also piqued my interest . Good to hear such positive feedback about the Corsair, which does meet most of my expectations. Very reassuring !
Yes, I got the 2.0T reserve. I agree with Consumer Reports that engine is plenty powerful.

The closest I came on another car was Acura RDX. Not as great a deal and less features overall at a similar price point. Also their touch pad to manage the screen and all functions was cumbersome. Possibly distracting during driving.

My brother is a huge BMW fan and has encouraged me for years but I just couldn’t part with more money for less features. You really have to get into the high $60’s or low $70’s to get all that the Corsair has to offer. I really found it insulting they don’t offer natural leather seating at the Corsair price point. But that’s what makes personal opinions. We all have them. 😎

The reserve model MSRP of $45,250 has a lot of features but I also had to snag the Equipment Group 201A for the Co-Pilot 360 Plus package to score the 360 camera. The active park assist plus and adaptive cruise control come with that pkg. also. $4,200 MSRP.

The technology package adds the head up display, phone as a key and the wireless phone charging pad. $3,000 MSRP. The HUD is very helpful and the phone as a key is pretty amazing. The charging pad is mounted vertically inside the center console and needs a USB cable to connect to CarPlay or Android Auto or whatever it’s called… It’s OK but not great. Flat like most on the center console with wireless CarPlay will see me upgrading again likely before I’m ready to. LOL.

The perfect position seats are a steal for me at $1,100. 🤑 I’ve had back and shoulder issues for longer than I’d care to remember so good value for me. My dealer had all that on a great Asher Gray model with black interior. I thought I might like lighter colors but their cashew with coffee interior or some such color scheme model was more attractive to me but it also had the sport package I didn’t want to add to my growing price tag. Out of the dozens of Corsairs on the lot it was only those two that had all the features I was ready to buy.

Definitely a great car and the dealership was outstanding on the sale and parts department.

HotrodLinkin

Don't bother with the 2.3l. The 2.0 is way more responsive than you might expect. Also, in the ride control series there is the 'Excite' mode, which is noticeably faster. Get the 20 inch wheels for great cornering (lower profile tires) and way easier car washing! 😁

syl

I couldn't be happier than I am with my 2020 Corsair Standard, 2.0, plus environmental package and Co-Pilot 360Plus. Quiet, comfortable ride, which is what I was looking for in a Lincoln in the first place, plus the car looks great and lives up to the "utility" in the CUV/SUV category. No reliability issues at all, but let's face it, I have had the car for 3/4 of a year.

I was worried that I would miss having a manual transmission (*every* car I've owned prior, starting with a 1978 Honda, has had a manual transmission), but this car is such a pleasure to drive (in the luxury comfort sense, not in the sports handling sense, of course) that that hasn't happened yet.

If you follow the Consumer Reports ratings, you know that they're very conservative with something like predicted reliability, especially for new models and make-overs. The way I looked at it, Corsair is really a minor make-over from the MKC, and the sibling Escape has been around in at least a few incarnations for quite a while. The wrinkles are really quite ironed out on this.

That said, some folks *are* having issues, with some items (battery, in particular) coming up frequently. What it seems to me, though, from most reports I've seen, is that the biggest problems are at the dealerships and their service departments, not so much with the car. I feel I got lucky that way, with the local dealership (West Island Ford/Lincoln, near Montreal, Canada) being quite excellent in the few dealings I've had with them.

This is the first car I've purchased from them; the first Ford product I've owned, in fact, (third car I've bought new) having migrated loyalty from the "formerly American, by way of Germany, now mostly Italian" automaker, largely because they simply didn't have any vehicle that was a compelling competitor to Corsair (Cherokee Overland was the closest, but it simply didn't measure up in a test drive: Corsair handled driving around a slippery snow-covered corner *better* than a Jeep! for what it's worth, so did Cadillac XT4, which perhaps handled the same corner better than Corsair, but by only a little, and simply wasn't as comfortable overall), and mostly because my previous vehicle from them was proving to be a greater disappointment the longer I owned it, and the more I worked on it.

Only time will tell how happy any of us will be with the Corsair overall, but right now, I'm still elated when I have an excuse to go for a drive.

felixmendel

We have the 2L motor in the reserve model for 12 mos. No reliability issues to report. We are very happy with the car as it is much better than the small MB SUV that we traded in. We find it quiet, lots of good safety features, comfortable, and it looks good. The dealer is much better than the German dealers we have dealt with for the past 15 years (BMW, Audi, MB), the German dealers are not big on customer service.

spikeaus

Thanks for the link. I have the precursor to the Corsair, the MKC 2.0. Drove it 2400 miles from Texas to Maine. Performed flawlessly. The paint and finish has endured very well and I get excellent mileage. So poo poo on the Consumer Report snobs. I had a Mercedes SUV prior to the Lincoln. It was nice, but the maintenance costs were ridiculous. Get the Corsair it’s a beautiful American machine.

Eric1GT

Thanks for the link. I have the precursor to the Corsair, the MKC 2.0. Drove it 2400 miles from Texas to Maine. Performed flawlessly. The paint and finish has endured very well and I get excellent mileage. So poo poo on the Consumer Report snobs. I had a Mercedes SUV prior to the Lincoln. It was nice, but the maintenance costs were ridiculous. Get the Corsair it’s a beautiful American machine.
Outstanding comments!!! The Corsair is my first "American" car, and most definitely the best in many ways. Plenty of features I wasn't specifically looking for that were just a bonus! Like windshield wiper defrosters, and massage seats. Now I have them, I'm glad I was looking for the 360 camera which almost always requires many other "package" features bundled in. I also wasn't looking for autonomous parking assist, but glad I have it. I tried it on parallel parking just to see, and it was simply amazing. Have yet to try the more common perpendicular mode, but I expect the same flawless operation!

Of course the camera helped me see a woman about to back into me as I was ready to back out of a spot, and she kept coming and coming, so I had to stand on the horn! She was almost oblivious and fortunately I barely got a .1 MPH brush of her bumper against mine. Thankfully I can barely see it, and a nice wax buff will make it completely invisible. Not so lucky on my last car, which had a guy try a quick "K-Turn" to get out of a slow moving lane of traffic in a parking lot. Really got on the horn then, but he slammed my 2.5 MPH front bumper pretty good. 978 miles in 4 weeks, and there it was, $1,150 repair required. But the frame was still good as he was only going about 1.5 MPH. Thanks NTSB. I may like the look of new "so called" bumpers, but not as much as body shops.

chrisholland03

I just did an even swap for a '21 Nautilus after the latest rounds of issues with my Nov'19 build Corsair. I continued to have electrical issues, indefinite parts delays, and frustrations. The dealership stepped up and made things right.

Mature Driver

I just did an even swap for a '21 Nautilus after the latest rounds of issues with my Nov'19 build Corsair. I continued to have electrical issues, indefinite parts delays, and frustrations. The dealership stepped up and made things right.
Sorry to hear Chris, fingers crossed. Usually the second year production are improved

Eric1GT

That’s great they took care of you. I had a 2103 VW Passat diesel that was great except for the radio/nav system. The integrated backup camera system was completely lame and typically would not display the image until 15 to 25 seconds on a cold start. I checked it out on the test drive but not a cold start. When the system had been on for a while the camera turned on instantly.

My reason for mentioning it is because VW DID NOT take care of me. The second replacement unit was even an older revision and I surprised the dealership when I told them to forget it. I expected the very latest revision or nothing. Numerous calls and a complaint case with HQ in Michigan we’re no help.

I sold the car back to VW during their diesel EPA scam class action lawsuit that cost them $30B!! Got almost as much as I paid 4 years later.

Moral of the story is they helped me purchase my first American car which is an order of magnitude more superior!

If you miss even one of either product price or service your business will suffer. $30B hit was not good for VW!

Kudos to Lincoln for going above and beyond with your new Nautilus swap! That’s amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.

Melo Fran

Purchased new '20 Reserve full loaded in March. Drove the unit home from Florida to Illinois and have a total of 6200 miles on it so far, with city traffic and farm trips. No issues. 2.3l-T is snappy in city traffic and highway. Electronics have performed as advertised. The driver assist, intelligent cruise is fantastic. The comfort, luxury, tech, and power I paid for have lived up to the price. I did purchase the upgrade to the 10/100k b2b warranty. In Florida warranties are regulated by the state, so only an extra $3k add-on for a piece of mind. If I trade in before then, I will receive a refund for years not used.

HIFIMAN

I'm waiting for the Grand touring PHEV model. The Louisville Assembly Plant has been closed down since mid May and is said to resume the week of June 28.

I'm waiting to here what happens with the INVEST In America Act and Clean Energy for America ACT. If they put through it through. $7500 incentive cap on EV's would go up to $12500.

The bill passed the Senate Finance Committee on a 14-14 tie vote. The bill still needs the approval of the full Senate and the House, as well as President Biden's signature, before it would become law.

I'd save almost $14k off MSRP with government, state, and local incentives added up. Not counting employee pricing discount on a $60k MSRP Fully loaded COrsair.

Last edited: