A/c problem

Mrmerc49

06 towncar when the a/c is on the air by itself comes out the face vents then out the defrost then out the feet constantly by itself. No matter where you push buttons it will come out for a minute then switch by itself. Any clue as to why.

YoungOldMan

Sounds like you may have a blend door issue. Motors are strong enough to move the blend doors into position but aren’t holding them there

Mrmerc49

What i dont get is if you push it to go to defrost it works then it switches like a ghost is pushing the buttons. And whats even more weird is if im slowing down it seems to go back to where its supposed to be for a minute then switches to wherever it wants. I did a self test and it showed code 42 and 63. How do you clear them to see if it goes away.

YoungOldMan

If you’ve got a scan tool it should have a built in way to clear the codes, you’ll just have to check the manual to see how yours does it. If not, disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes ought to be enough to reset any codes.

To clarify something, is this phantom behavior only when the A/C is running or does it happen when the air is blowing regardless of whether you’ve got the A/C engaged? I’m assuming the latter, which is why my mind goes to weak blend door actuators, and the fact that you say it moves back into position when you slow down reaffirms my theory a bit since the air pressure on the blend doors decreases as speed decreases.

G-82924

I disconnected the battery and so car its working how it should. Ill have to see what happens tomorrow. Its going to be in the mid 90's all week and 90% humidity do i hope that does it.

Mrmerc49

I disconnected the battery and it seems to be working ok now,ill see tomorrow. It's going to be in the mid 90's all week with 90%humidity, wrong time for this to be happening. Its like someone was switching the outlet functions while i was driving. I tried with the a/c, the heat, everything. The a/c was blowing cold and no other problems. If it happens again it can't be weak blend motors if its been working fine for 10 minutes straight on each function. Oh well time will tell, thanks for the help.

bbigman

06 towncar when the a/c is on the air by itself comes out the face vents then out the defrost then out the feet constantly by itself. No matter where you push buttons it will come out for a minute then switch by itself. Any clue as to why.
Sounds like your day unit could have issues.look online and see how to do a self test on the unit.
Sounds like your eatc
unit is having issues.look up self test for a/c there are several on youtube that will show you how to do the test