Lincoln Forums Navigation:

A/C not engaging correctly

eviltemp

I have a 2001 Lincoln Town car.

When I turn on the AC it doesn't engage quick.
It usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes to engage and starts blowing cold air.

I have checked for loose or corroded connections. And already checked the freon level and it's fine.

Any other suggestions?

Slick Fan

Utah
Is the compressor clutch not engaging when you turn the AC on? If not, unplug the plug from the clutch & see if you're getting power to the plug. If you are getting power, then the clutch may be the culprit.

mark0101

Check the relay for the A/c clutch. It should be with all the fuses in your engine bay. Swap it for your horn relay. That should take care of your problem. look in the owners manual which relay it is.

Good luck

Slowpoker

Also, with engine running and A/C demand button and blower fan on high, carefully tap the clutch plate with a long stick to help it engage the compressor. Watch out for the spinning belt and pulleys.
If the clutch plate engages when tapping it, it must be that the air gap between them has become too large and distant.
The way to adjust that gap is engine off, remove the bolt at center of that plate and pry the plate off, there will be a washer spacer around that bolt under the plate, needs to have a thinner one for the magnetic force to be closer to that plate to pull it against the compressor itself. If that's all that tests bad, it's a simple fix. Good luck.

eviltemp

The AC compressor does not engage as soon as I turn the cold AC on. It takes about 10 or more minutes for it to start working. Already checked the air gap. Removed the last washer it had. Still having the same issue.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The AC compressor does not engage as soon as I turn the cold AC on. It takes about 10 or more minutes for it to start working. Already checked the air gap. Removed the last washer it had. Still having the same issue.
I remember this problem occurring to others many years ago. I don't remember exactly the solution, but it did not involve parts replacement. I think you need to remove the negative battery cable for a minute or two to reset the PCM and the EATC. The EATC tells the PCM that the A/C is required and the PCM engages the A/C compressor relay and the high speed fan relay but the notion is that EATC and PCM are not in sync. Theory is the battery reset allows the EATC and PCM to get synchronised and work correctly together. Unexplained electronic glitches are sometimes solved by resetting the battery.

Worth a try for the sake of resetting radio stations, clock and EATC settings.

Good luck.

Spooner

I am having a similar problem except that in my case with my 99 Town Car, I swapped out the eatc for a different used one...annnd...I still have the same problem where the AC starts out cold but as soon as I raise the desired temperature control to a higher than 60 degree reading, the AC will gradually quit blowing cold until it's blowing only hot air. If I can wait long enough with engine off, it'll start blowing cold again, but....errr, no. This is not good. What in the world is my remedy, remedy, remedy....

Spooner

Today, my AC decided to work, AFTER I changed the plugs and coils, although I think the timing is suspect (that it works, not the car's timing!). And I have a feeling that if I shut 'er down and restart, I'll be back to square one. Could the system need bleeding? I added freon a couple weeks ago but I can't imagine air getting into the system. Maybe I do need to add more because I stopped a bit on the light side.....ok, I'll do that first. Nevermind. :=)

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I am having a similar problem except that in my case with my 99 Town Car, I swapped out the eatc for a different used one...annnd...I still have the same problem where the AC starts out cold but as soon as I raise the desired temperature control to a higher than 60 degree reading, the AC will gradually quit blowing cold until it's blowing only hot air. If I can wait long enough with engine off, it'll start blowing cold again, but....errr, no. This is not good. What in the world is my remedy, remedy, remedy....
Welcome to the Forum.

We have a EATC self test procedure in our Tech forum here: Town Car EATC Self test it may help pinpoint your problem if it is not a low refrigerant level. In post #9 you will see the procedure for your 1999 model.

Good luck.

mark0101

Please create your own thread and explain your story there. But I will say, adding Freon and hoping that will fix your problem is not what you should be doing...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML