'99 Navigator Low Beam Issues

spyderdyne

I have a 1999 Lincoln Navigator, and changed out the old headlight fixtures with Lincoln Blackwood type replacements, and added LED high/low beam bulbs. For some reason my low beam headlights no longer come on, and I have to drive around with the high beams on. I checked both fuse panels and replaced the couple of blown fuses I found, one of which was for headlamps, but no luck.

Any pointers? I'm pretty sure I am going to get a ticket at some point if I don't resolve this issue, I really don't like blinding people wherever I go, and not being able to count on DRL and auto-lamp functions is annoying as well. Im just not sure what else to check. I have a new set of LED lamps (9007) arriving tomorrow to see if a different bulb option has any effect, but even the stock incandescent bulbs aren't working so I doubt its an issue with the LEDs. I have done a full LED conversion to all the other lights in the vehicle (even the instrument panel and had to add the LED conversion resistors behind the tail lights to make the flasher relays work, but they flash at double speed now. I doubt this would have an effect, but all this crap seems to be interconnected in weird ways on this machine...

Thanks.

07navi

I have a 1999 Lincoln Navigator, and changed out the old headlight fixtures with Lincoln Blackwood type replacements, and added LED high/low beam bulbs. For some reason my low beam headlights no longer come on, and I have to drive around with the high beams on. I checked both fuse panels and replaced the couple of blown fuses I found, one of which was for headlamps, but no luck.

Any pointers? I'm pretty sure I am going to get a ticket at some point if I don't resolve this issue, I really don't like blinding people wherever I go, and not being able to count on DRL and auto-lamp functions is annoying as well. Im just not sure what else to check. I have a new set of LED lamps (9007) arriving tomorrow to see if a different bulb option has any effect, but even the stock incandescent bulbs aren't working so I doubt its an issue with the LEDs. I have done a full LED conversion to all the other lights in the vehicle (even the instrument panel and had to add the LED conversion resistors behind the tail lights to make the flasher relays work, but they flash at double speed now. I doubt this would have an effect, but all this crap seems to be interconnected in weird ways on this machine...

Thanks.
That's why I stick with stock usually.

spyderdyne

Wouldnt matter if it was stock. There is no voltage going to the low beam terminal of the headlamp connectors. Hit it with a meter today and its showing around 1.5V when it should be 12. The DRL circuits on both sides are good at 5 volts, and high beams are good at 12v. Just the low beams are out. Going to check the engine compartment and dash fuse panels for blown fuses again. If that comes up empty again I'll have to figure out which are low beams again and see if theres current to the fuses...

07navi

Wouldnt matter if it was stock. There is no voltage going to the low beam terminal of the headlamp connectors. Hit it with a meter today and its showing around 1.5V when it should be 12. The DRL circuits on both sides are good at 5 volts, and high beams are good at 12v. Just the low beams are out. Going to check the engine compartment and dash fuse panels for blown fuses again. If that comes up empty again I'll have to figure out which are low beams again and see if theres current to the fuses...
But you wouldn't have all these problems if you left it stock.

spyderdyne

Did the low beams work before switching everything out?
No.

I had 1 high and 1 low working when I bought the vehicle. After finding a blown high beam fuse that solved my right high beam item, but somewhere in the course of adding a battery isolator, 2nd battery, 2 new fuseblocks, etc.

My lows are completely dead at the connectors now.

spyderdyne

But you wouldn't have all these problems if you left it stock.
Stock lights perform worse, cost more, dont last as long, and aren't as fun to look at. It was also easier to find LED bulbs than the specific automotive bulbs for this vehicle.

I got your point that stock would be expected to just work without having to put this diagnostic work in. For that matter I could left this pretty monster in the field it had been sitting in for the last 13 years instead of rescuing it and saved all the trouble. ;)