99 LTC overheating

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
Extended idle waiting for prom kids. As I began to leave, was greeted by clouds of smoke, temp gauge is buried. Coolant is puking from the pressure cap. Thinking the thermostat was stuck, pulled it & refilled system. Thinking I had resolved the issue resumed drive to watch temp gauge climb again.

Pulled into a service station, allowed to cool, refilled, drove about 5 miles, temp gauge remained normal. Stopped, checked coolant level, added 4-5 quarts. Resumed drive, temp gauge climbing, stopped again, allowed to cool, added 6-8 quarts. Resumed drive, temp gauge normal until stopped at destination 20 minutes later.

Radiator fan was not operating when I arrived at destination and didn't come on after 5 minutes of idling.

When should the fan come on?

JackCisco

No idea when the fan should come on unfortunately, but that sounds like your head gasket has blown now :( thermostat was probably fully open trying to cool the engine down.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
Not making oil, no mis-fires, head gaskets not an issue...unless you know something I don't. Intake manifold is leaking @ #1 but that was a minor issue before this started, but may have become a major issue. Believe there was an air block preventing complete refilling.

Extended idle will create overheating, but air flow keeps it cool. Fan is definite problem.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
Faulty fan had blown the 50 amp fuse in the power box & created some heat in the relay as well. This also created an issue with the OEM (old style plastic) intake manifold. $850 later, it's all good. No other engine issues. Fresh plugs & reused the coilpaks.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
The real irritation was my not noticing the car still had the original all plastic manifold, having experienced a melt-down of an OEM intake on a 98 Marquis & coming to the realization the PO didn't bother to get the factory warranty replacement.

Last edited:

HTML