99 Continental dash/lights/suspension problems.

Teeshka

Hi, I have a 99 Continental with 50,000 miles on it. I don't use it a lot but start it regularly. Recently when I started it, the digital dash didn't light up. Also none of the interior lights work and the air compressor isn't working to pump up the air suspension. Fuse #31 is burned out and a new fuse burns out instantly when installed. All other fuses look okay. Are these problems possibly connected in some way or is it coincidental that everything happened at once? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi, I have a 99 Continental with 50,000 miles on it. I don't use it a lot but start it regularly. Recently when I started it, the digital dash didn't light up. Also none of the interior lights work and the air compressor isn't working to pump up the air suspension. Fuse #31 is burned out and a new fuse burns out instantly when installed. All other fuses look okay. Are these problems possibly connected in some way or is it coincidental that everything happened at once? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Fuse 31 (15A) in the passenger compartment fuse box is for the FCU (don't know the acronym) part of the LCM (Lighting Control Module) for dash lights and interior lights, etc. While that may explain the dash and interior lights it does not seem to explain the air suspension problem. There are several fuses protecting the LCM so the LCM may have developed an internal short circuit or there is a short in the wiring between the fuse and the LCM. In some cases a FCU is the radio head unit and may be referred to as the Forward Control Unit. Does your radio work?

The Air Suspension module communicates with the LCM to post messages and to let the air suspension know that the door(s) are ajar which prevents suspension lowering when car is turned off. The easiest test of suspension not raising the car (because it is already at ride height) is to load the trunk and see if suspension compressor starts up to raise the rear. Ignition on or car running of course.

Teeshka

Fuse 31 (15A) in the passenger compartment fuse box is for the FCU (don't know the acronym) part of the LCM (Lighting Control Module) for dash lights and interior lights, etc. While that may explain the dash and interior lights it does not seem to explain the air suspension problem. There are several fuses protecting the LCM so the LCM may have developed an internal short circuit or there is a short in the wiring between the fuse and the LCM. In some cases a FCU is the radio head unit and may be referred to as the Forward Control Unit. Does your radio work?

The Air Suspension module communicates with the LCM to post messages and to let the air suspension know that the door(s) are ajar which prevents suspension lowering when car is turned off. The easiest test of suspension not raising the car (because it is already at ride height) is to load the trunk and see if suspension compressor starts up to raise the rear. Ignition on or car running of course.
The radio still works.
My suspension has a slow leak. Back is down all the way but compressor still not cutting in.

Teeshka

The radio still works.
My suspension has a slow leak. Back is down all the way but compressor still not cutting in.
Also, my headlights, taillights still work.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Also, my headlights, taillights still work.
Yes there are several fuses feeding the LCM: 1,12,13,18,19,25,31 in the passenger compartment fuse box and fuse 10 in the BJB. The air suspension is fuse 4 in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) under the hood. There are three locations to consider: on one side of the BJB there are 14 maxi fuses numbered 1 to 14; in the middle are 8 mini fuses numbered 1 to 8 where 4 is the air suspension fuse (30A); on the other side there are 8 relays and 2 diodes for PCM diode and Generator diode.

For the suspension check that BJB fuse #4 first. There are a lot of threads dealing with the air suspension problems. The Continental and the Town Car have similar systems so do a search. You will get a lot of helpful responses.

Teeshka

Thanks for yor help. I checked all other fuses, under dash and hood, only #31 is gone.
My first concern is getting the instrument panel to work as it. Difficult to drive with no speedo, gas gauge, etc. But on the other hand, I need suspension also.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My first concern is getting the instrument panel to work as it. Difficult to drive with no speedo, gas gauge, etc. But on the other hand, I need suspension also.
I feel your pain having two main systems disabled. Both are required, so you have two options: have a mechanic diagnose the two problems and fix them; or for the LCM, trace the wiring from fuse 31 to the LCM and check for a power wire shorting to ground (that may be in the fuse box); search the earlier model Continental forum (and the Town Car forum) for air suspension issues and work your way through the symptoms that are consistent with your problem.

If the LCM has a problem short circuit then replacement usually requires a dealer to program the new LCM which may have a code set to prevent DIY repair with a new unit. The LCM is expensive. There may be some flexibility in the 1999 Continental to allow DIY replacement of a used LCM (based on Town Car experience with some modules).

Good luck.

HTML