Lincoln Forums Navigation:

99 Conti No Start

kt3rr

Thread starter #1
I have a 1999 Lincoln Continental. The vehicle is rarely driven. 600 miles ago I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit with a factory replacement from the dealer. The car ran fine after the installation. The other day I had the vehicle transported by rollback to our house in PA. The car drove up on the rollback just fine. I had it transported because the tags had expired.

Anyway, when the driver went to pull it down the rollback ramp, large puffs of black smoke came out the pipes. Within a few seconds it was hesitating and finally died. I haven't been able to start it since. I checked the reset button on the driver door pillar post and that was fine, it did not need to be reset. When I turn the key I can not here the fuel pump run while sitting behind the wheel. Usually you can hear the pump, but now I'm not hearing it. I checked the wiring harness plug to the fuel pump and that was in tact. The roll back driver had to chain the car down to prevent it from moving and I thought maybe a plug under the chassis had been knocked loose, but so far I have found nothing.

So I'm looking for a little help in deciphering the problem of the no run situation. The vehicle does crank and the battery is good. I pulled the cap off the schrader valve on the front of the fuel line. I have no pressure or gas at that point. It appears that something is prohibiting the fuel pump from getting power. I am mechanically inclined, but unfamiliar with Lincoln's wiring runs or the different valves that may be in the system that could be causing the fuel pump not to get power to it.

Any help would be obliged.

99continental

Have you already checked the Fuel pump relay? Swapping it out for another in the main power distribution box. Or getting a jumper to attempt to power the fuel pump directly for test. This would tell you if the problem is between the relay and fuel pump or elsewhere in the vehicle to the relay trigger.

Something else to check: my continental would lock out the fuel pump when the security system was triggered, make sure that's not the case. It would run for a few seconds then die.

Last edited:

kt3rr

Thread starter #3
Now this is the strangest thing. The car has set with the battery unhooked for 3 days. I hooked up the battery, put the key in and turned it to the run position. I could hear the fuel pump running. I turned it off and back on again, Again I could hear the fuel pump running. I then turned the key to start it and it started right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Weird! Any ideas what could have caused this series of events? As for the relay, I was in the process of determining where such a relay was located prior to the above occurrence.

flaokie

I believe the ’99 has a returnless fuel system like my ’02.
The first and easiest thing to eliminate is the fuel filter.
Replacement (if you haven’t already done so) is not difficult, and the filter is cheap.
Check to see if any OBDII codes have been set.
If they have, then this will steer you in the right direction.

I would check the fuel pressure.
The ‘02 service manual calls for:
Key on –engine off – 35-55 psi
Engine running 35-45 psi

The returnless system has a fuel rail pressure sensor.
This sensor sends a variable signal to the computer.
The computer then regulates the output of the fuel pump to maintain the proper fuel pressure in the rails to the injectors.
I forget how much they cost, but I don’t believe they are overly expensive, and don’t appear hard to get at from under the hood.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML