Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Lincoln Continental Rendition

How hard to remove front seat upholstery?

Remove this ad
    My car has about 275k on the clock and the driver seat is
    beyond trashed.

Awhile ago I picked up a pair of pretty decent front seats
    from an under-100k mile wreck very reasonably, but the
    outside edge of the driver seat back was bent backwards
    in the wreck.

Thinking of pulling the upholstery cover and foam off
    and seeing if I can\'t straighten the frame, then reinstall.
    Of if it can\'t be straightened, swap the cover and foam
    onto my existing seat frame.

Anybody ever do anything like this, any tips, even possible
    without experience & special tools other than the standard
    hog ring pliers? Or am I better off just taking it to an auto
    upholstery shop?

I built my own engine, trans, and rear, but am a total novice
    at body and interior work.

Thx!

mikeceli Guest

Great question! Anyone?

BGREVISITED Guest

it is a great question.....and here\'s what i would recommend.

not knowing all the circumstances, \'if\' you want your car to really great, they i would say take your existing seat out first and disassemble it. then put it back together. see how the cover/foam fits after you\'ve re-attached it and keep practicing on that one BEFORE you take the seat you bought apart. my guess is that the frame is either bent or broken on the one you purchased and therefore i my mind, JUNK. i would just swap the cover and foam from the one you bought to your original seat if that frame is still in good shape.

but the key is to PRACTICE on something first. i had a Dodge Challenger years ago and learned my lesson. once you\'ve done it a few times, it\'s actually pretty easy.

GOOD LUCK!

re-Markable LSC Guest

grammar Nazi??? Don\'t get me started!

BGREVISITED Guest

[quote name=\'re-Markable LSC\']grammar Nazi??? Don\'t get me started![/QUOTE]

Fingernipple Guest

Its not too bad of a job... just as long as you take it slow and have really tough skin on your hands. First get yourself a good set of pliers and a flat head screwdriver. Then i highly recommend letting the seats sit out in the sun for a good while to soften up. Seperate the seatback from the bottom by removing the bolts at the pivot point and unplug the air hoses from the back bolster bag.
    The seat back is by far the most difficult part so thats where you will spend the most time. There will be support bars inside the seat with hogrings supporting the leather. You will have to snake an arm in and bend every hog-ring open to get the leather off as you go. Some people say to roll the leather off, but i found that to be difficult so i just bunch it up as i go and when all the hog-rigs are removed it pulls right off.

BGREVISITED Guest

[quote name=\'Fingernipple\']Its not too bad of a job... just as long as you take it slow and have really tough skin on your hands. First get yourself a good set of pliers and a flat head screwdriver. Then i highly recommend letting the seats sit out in the sun for a good while to soften up. Seperate the seatback from the bottom by removing the bolts at the pivot point and unplug the air hoses from the back bolster bag.
    The seat back is by far the most difficult part so thats where you will spend the most time. There will be support bars inside the seat with hogrings supporting the leather. You will have to snake an arm in and bend every hog-ring open to get the leather off as you go. Some people say to roll the leather off, but i found that to be difficult so i just bunch it up as i go and when all the hog-rigs are removed it pulls right off.[/QUOTE]

yea, what he said.....

Eddie Guest

It\'s so easy. Get a set of hog ring pliers, swap the batting and all. Or get some batting at the fabric shop and replace/beef up the batting. Cheap and easy. BTDT.

[quote name=\'Fingernipple\']Seperate the seatback from the bottom by removing the bolts at the pivot point and unplug the air hoses from the back bolster bag.
    The seat back is by far the most difficult part so thats where you will spend the most time. There will be support bars inside the seat with hogrings supporting the leather. You will have to snake an arm in and bend every hog-ring open to get the leather off as you go. Some people say to roll the leather off, but i found that to be difficult so i just bunch it up as i go and when all the hog-rigs are removed it pulls right off.[/QUOTE]

THAT\'s what I was looking for - thanks!!

Yes, the outside frame on the seatback is bent backwards.
    However, both the cover and the foam on both the back and bottom on my existing
    seats is trash, so - -

I was also wondering how tough it would be to separate the back from the bottom,
    now I know!:hyper:

So, what I\'ll probly do is take the foam and cover off the bent one and put it
    on my existing seatback frame, then attach it to the \"new\" bottom that\'s good.

Trouble is, I don\'t have time to practice. I work out of state and will only be
    home Fri pm, all Sat & maybe just till Sun early afternoon, and have some work
    to do on my wife\'s car too. So I guess I\'ll try removing my existing seatback and
    use the foam/cover removal as my practice session, then take off the good foam
    and cover off the bent back, and just go from there.

Hey, BGREVISITED - Challenger, hey? Brings back memories.
    70 RT/SE 440 6 pack new in 70. Like a damned fool, all I have
    left is pictures (also like of my 67 SS Camaro 396 / 375hp and
    my 66 426 Hemi I owned in 66 & 67, and several others - all
    warmed up to some degree, enjoyed the heck out of em,
    then sold them all. :-/ )

Just put a couple of washers under the outer rear seat mount when you put the new seat in. Add washers until it looks even when you tighten the bolt down. I really don\'t think the seat frame is bending, just the mount. Seems to be a problem with these cars.

Actually, the car the seat came from had been T-boned on the driver side
    and the back of the seat is bent back on the outside probly at least 6\" to 8\"
    from the door and door post being pushed into it at a bit of an angle.

The coupe door could be longer, probably out to the 1/4 panel window.

Quote Originally Posted by dmvalente View Post
    This is the best looking Lincoln since VIII
    Boy, would I love it if that car every came to be... It would be a "must have"...

Cpkaszak is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2010 MKT 3.7 AWD Elite Package
    Love the second car.

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    To be honest, I've lost interest in Lincoln & Ford after their EPA MPG "error" announcement on the 2014 MKZ Hybrid.

No need to bring up a nearly year old thread to say that. We all know you're upset, but constant complaining on a forum is not going to help anything.
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 70,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 57,000 miles

newred87 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 1987 town car
    The roof line slope and rear flared fenders look a lot like my 2010 Camaro.

Town is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    A couple of years ago Lincoln proposed a concept of a new Continental that was quite stunning, but this thread has no information on it. I think it would be cool to see how that concept evolved into the 2017 Continental. Does anyone have pictures of the evolving Continental to share?

Yes! Here's the 2002 Continental Concept:

More images here:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/lincoln/2...ental_concept/
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

2015 Lincoln Continental Concept:

More pictures and information here:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/lincoln/2...ental_concept/
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.

Town is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Thanks Sal, that is great. That 2014/15 concept is so beautiful, yet practical, easily the nicest looking car.

Was there another concept before the 2014/15 Continental Concept and way after the 2002 Concept? My memory says there was a very imaginative Concept that was alluded to be the next Continental?

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Thanks Sal, that is great. That 2014/15 concept is so beautiful, yet practical, easily the nicest looking car.

Was there another concept before the 2014/15 Continental Concept and way after the 2002 Concept? My memory says there was a very imaginative Concept that was alluded to be the next Continental?
    You're welcome! I thought there was something in between as well - but I can't find it. Perhaps it wasn't official...