Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 97 town car amplifier wiring diagram?
    Kit Sullivan Guest

\'No Brakes\' question...

Remove this ad
    Today, my brakes started not working. Both the red \'BRAKE\' light and the orange \'ANTI-LOCK\' light are illuminated continuosly. Of course, there is a hard pedal and no brakes.

I replaced the brown brake system relay with a known-good unit...no difference.

I disconnected the pump motor and hot-wired it directly to 12V...it works fine, so the pump is OK.

I tried to check for juice at the pos and neg connectors of the pump-motor harness, but I didn\'t see any evidence of any.

Any suggestions?

coffeepot/hrlmk7 Guest

sounds like the master unit might have some gunk in it.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'coffeepot/hrlmk7\']sounds like the master unit might have some gunk in it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the brake fluid is flushed completely once a year. It\'s clean.

Clearly, no power is making it to the pump motor, so the accumulator can\'t charge...hence, no brakes.

Disney Lincoln Guest

When you hot wired the pump, and it ran, did you have brakes?

If to then the pressure switch is probably bad.

markedman90 Guest

Is this on the \'88 or \'90. I have wiring diag\'s for the \'90 and \'91. I can look there or try to get you copies.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'Disney Lincoln\']When you hot wired the pump and it ran, did you have brakes?
    If so then the pressure switch is probably bad.[/QUOTE]

I don\'t know if it actually had brakes, I was only trying to determine if the pump was operative.

How would I accurately test the pressure switch. (Thats\' the switch located on the extreme upper front end of the master, right?)

Kit Sullivan Guest

It\'s on the \'90.

Disney Lincoln Guest

It\'s on/off. If the cicuit is closed, it\'s going to fire the motor. If the circuit is open when pressure is low, it won\'t fire the motor.

chestnut101 Guest

who has the pressure switch\'s ? i have the same problem on the red car.

Kit Sullivan Guest

I don\'t think its\' the pressure switch: I took the connector off and jumped the both teminals together on the harness while the engine was on and the pump did not actuate.

Is there another relay, fuse or fusible link somewhere that I can check?

Bluegrass7 Guest

The pressure switch is a differencial type.
    On low pressure it operates the power relay in turn running the pump.
    The pressure switch detecting no pressure has extra contacts that signals the controller to light the warning lamps.
    Take cover off power relay and push up the contacts or operate the relay from it\'s contacts same as the pressure switch would..
    If the pump runs, the pump is ok and there is a control circuit fault.
    Either the pressure switch or it\'s wiring or power relay winding is open.
    Check page 12-32-63 in your manuel.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'Bluegrass7\']
    Take cover off power relay and push up the contacts or operate the relay from it\'s contacts same as the pressure switch would.[/QUOTE]

How does the cover come off the relay without destroying the relay?

And why wouldn\'t jumping the two pins together on the pressure switch harness confirm or deny the pressure switches operation?

Kit Sullivan Guest

After some more \'figgerin\', I am of the opinion that Bluegrass has hit the problem: bad pressure switch. When I previously thought I was testing the pressure switch wiring, I was checking the wrong harness.
    Are the switches available aftermarket, and if so...where ?

Bluegrass7 Guest

I was reluctant to reply to your post as there was no good answer to the question I thought would have been satisfactory.
    However, try this website and tell them \' by phone\' what you need.
    www.priorreman.com.
    Good luck.

Kit Sullivan Guest

I was thinking along the same lines and I already contacted \'Prior\'. I used them for a new master-cylinder assembly in my 90 Super Coupe. Expensive! But hey, at least it works!
    I\'m not sure if they just sell parts though, so I \'ll have to wait and see.

Kit Sullivan Guest

I jumpered the #1 and #4 connectors together in the harness side of the pressure switch harness, and with the key on the pump works fine and both lights go out.
    So, I think this is a definitive test that the pressure switch is indeed faulty.

The cheapest I have found one is $114 from a parts house in Texas. Does anyone know of any place that sells them cheaper?
    I called Prior, and they have them for much more than that, around $175 each.

Bluegrass7 Guest

$114 is a good a price as they go, for these limited type parts. I would get it just to solve your problem and have it over with.
    This won\'t make you feel any better, but cut the old switch apart and see the quality.
    I doubt there are $15 worth of parts inside and so simple a construction it makes you wonder how it can be sold for such prices.
    Something under cover like that can get away with about any cost when no one else makes them and few are sold.
    Good luck.

chestnut101 Guest

please post a link and the part number for this as i need one too.
    thankyou
    chestnut

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'Bluegrass7\']$114 is a good a price as they go, for these limited type parts.
    I doubt there are $15 worth of parts inside and so simple a construction it makes you wonder how it can be sold for such prices.
    Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its aggravating having to pay such outrageous prices from Ford for such a basically simple part. The most aggravating part is that nearly every other component is available aftermarket, even the computer \'brain\' of the whole system. I wonder why such a simple part is not made available.

Kit Sullivan Guest

I have another question: The Ford shop manual claims a \'special socket\' is required to remove the pressure switch?
    Is this so, and if so where do I get it? Or, will a regular socket work?

Disney Lincoln Guest

You need a pressure switch socket. I have one that I originally got for oil pressure senders.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'Disney Lincoln\']You need a pressure switch socket. I have one that I originally got for oil pressure senders.[/QUOTE]

Can I just get one of these at any parts store?

Disney Lincoln Guest

Yes. But if creative yuo can get it off without.

KY Jim Guest

That\'s EXACTLY what mine did! I, of course, tore the unsightly whole assembly out and replaced it all with a hydroboost unit from Summit for a T-bird, used stock 84 MC and lines, put a T in the power steering return line, installed a adj. prop valve, and can now haul coal with my car, cause it stops like an F1 car.
    KY Jim

Speed Racer is offline Thanks My Lincoln(s): 1997 Town Car Jack Nicklaus Edition Signature
    Remove this ad
    Would anyone have the plug color codes for a JBL head unit in a 97 TC?
    1997 Jack Nicklaus Edition Signature Town Car 142k
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A 42k
    1979 Pontiac Trans Am 400 4spd Restored