79 Collectors Edition question

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

michaelt62

PA
Did all 1979 Mark V Collectors Edition come with "Locking Rear Ends" as standard equipment?
Traction-Loc was optional on all Continental Mark V's, except on ones that had the SureTrack Brake Control System option. ID Code for the standard 2.75 to 1, (K). Optional 2.50 to 1, (J). Optional 3.00 to 1, (O).

Cadee

Ok thank you for the information Michael. I'll have to crawl underneath the car to see of any tags are on the rear end, for what my gear ratio is and also get the rear end lifted off the ground and spin the wheels to see if it's a Traction-Loc or not.
How do I tell if i have the SureTrack Brake Control System?

michaelt62

PA
Ok thank you for the information Michael. I'll have to crawl underneath the car to see of any tags are on the rear end, for what my gear ratio is and also get the rear end lifted off the ground and spin the wheels to see if it's a Traction-Loc or not.
How do I tell if i have the SureTrack Brake Control System?
No need to get under the car, open the driver's door and look for the vehicle certification label (above the striker bolt on the door jamb). The above listed codes were for Traction-lock, if you don't have Traction-lock the codes are:
Standard 2.75 to 1 (2), Optional 2.50 to 1 (1), Optional 3.00 to 1 (6). Note: 3.00 to to 1 was only offered on the 77 & 78 Continental Mark V with the 460 engine option. Sure Track System had Sure Track imprinted on the brake pedal. The control module would be located behind the passenger side dash panel to the right of the ATC sensor (black box, same size as the cruise control module), the Mark V was pre wired for the module, so you will see 3 connector plugs even if you car doesn't have the option. There is also the actuator unit in the engine compartment and the sensor assembly at the front of the differential where the drive shaft bolts up.

Last edited: