76 continental idles rough.

DennisT

I have a 76 continental that idles rough, more so when warmed up, new plugs,wires,coil,ignition module, carb rebuilt twice, smoke tested. What am I missing? Anyone have some ideas for me? It seems to be vacuum leak but I’m not that familiar with this engine and car.
Thanks,
Dennis

baylensman

SUPPORTING MEMBER

G-987731

It definitely sounds as if you have a vacuum leak. Try and find a can of starting fluid with the red directional plastic straw on the end. Us this to spray every vacuum hose joint and curve, while the car is idling, if there is a leak the idle will go up when the leak is sprayed. Smoke test will to always find a vacuum leak. Also the Air cleaner on these are sealed very well so if the air filter is dirty it will also affect the idle. I out three filters a year in my MKIV when i lived out in the country.
Ok thanks Ian going to try the spray

DennisT

I’m still looking for the leak, when it warms up out there I will try a smoke test and see if maybe the vac hose going to the mod valve maybe cracked, however the car shifts great. My new question is about the exhaust system. I want to convert to dual exhausts, my muffler is bad and I thought this would be a good time to change over, is there an earlier model exhaust system or pipes I can obtain? It’s a 1976 coninenetal.
Thanks,
Dennis

lugnuts

check you valve train, worn rockers or valves not opening and closing correctly can often cause a miss. try some sea foam in the engine this stuff works great on cleaning the fuel system and freeing up sticky valves.

HTML