3G to 4G Modem Upgrade for Lincoln Way App

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
I think the concern is not so much what part numbers are needed as to who is paying for the change.

As an example, the free period for certain 2015 to 2017 model year Lincolns is 4 years. Which means most if not all of those Lincolns are beyond that free or complimentary period.

Action

tgara

Aug 31, 2021
Connecticut
My Lincoln
2021 Nautilus
I think the concern is not so much what part numbers are needed as to who is paying for the change.

As an example, the free period for certain 2015 to 2017 model year Lincolns is 4 years. Which means most if not all of those Lincolns are beyond that free or complimentary period.

Action
The document spells that out. The real question is whether owners who are outside the date ranges are willing to accept that Ford is not paying for the upgrade. Based on the psychotic and unhinged responses from some folks here in the many threads on this topic, few are.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
^^^That was a bit harsh. (tgara)

My post (#184) was a reply to daver75, who is a very new member. I will do my best in the future to post member names when I am responding to a specific post.

Action

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Hi all, new member here... this is a long post so apologies if previously posted, but I found this pdf on the NHTSA site that explains how to replace your modem according to model and includes the related part number(s).

Hi daver75 and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Thanks for the information and PDF file. I am sure it will help others in the future.

Good luck.

JohnPederson

May 30, 2022
My Lincoln
2017 Continental Black Label
Folks, do not let Lincoln bamboozle you! As a person that paid for reserve and black label to have this feature on two of my cars for life, you can imagine how upset I was to find out that I would incur an unexpected expense to MAINTAIN functionality of a feature I was granted for life at the time of purchase. I checked my paperwork for both cars and in no place does it state that functionality is subject to change. I called Lincoln concierge and they refused to provide any assistance in cost or compensation for the inconvenience stating that this is “the way of technology”. I would not take no for an answer, especially since these cars (combined) cost as much as a first time home buyers expense on their first house. While maintaining composure and respect for the representatives, I proceeded to call 4 times total and voice my concerns. Finally, I reached a representative that understood the situation and sided with me. Both of my vehicles are boing fully covered for this upgrade. Do not let them tell you it can’t be done. It certainly can. They should have recalled these vehicles as this was a change on their end that impacted your experience as customers, it was not something any of us did that lead to this issue arising. Even my service technician agrees that this whole situation was not handled with grace or common sense. Covering $75 in labor isn’t going to change my life. $400 per car to maintain functionality for a feature I had yesterday while not even adding new features to the car makes this parts cost significant in my opinion. Call, voice your concerns, be respectful, and be persistent. If enough people call, I am sure they will help you out too. Best of luck.
What number did you Call?

Lanyap

Jan 26, 2022
I received notification from Simplisafe that the 2G modem in my older base station needed to be upgraded because of the 2G/3G network shutdown. I called them and they are sending me a new 4G cell modem for FREE. So let's tally this up for me - Simplisafe is replacing my 2G cell modem for FREE, ADT sent a tech to replace the 3G cell modem in my older base unit for FREE and AT&T replaced a 3G iPhone 4S with a new iPhone Xr for FREE. All of these devices cost me less than $1k initially.

Poor Lincoln, I paid $40k+ for my new 2015 MKC and they cannot replace my 3G cell modem for free even though their cost for the new cell modem is only a few hundred dollars. They probably paid more for the IT project required to update the Lincoln Way app to remove functionality because of this issue than it would have cost to replace all of the cell modems for FREE.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 24, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
I received notification from Simplisafe that the 2G modem in my older base station needed to be upgraded because of the 2G/3G network shutdown. I called them and they are sending me a new 4G cell modem for FREE. So let's tally this up for me - Simplisafe is replacing my 2G cell modem for FREE, ADT sent a tech to replace the 3G cell modem in my older base unit for FREE and AT&T replaced a 3G iPhone 4S with a new iPhone Xr for FREE. All of these devices cost me less than $1k initially.

Poor Lincoln, I paid $40k+ for my new 2015 MKC and they cannot replace my 3G cell modem for free even though their cost for the new cell modem is only a few hundred dollars. They probably paid more for the IT project required to update the Lincoln Way app to remove functionality because of this issue than it would have cost to replace all of the cell modems for FREE.
Why do you drive a 7 year old car?

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011

Hi gang. I hate to drag this one up again, but sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out.

This is an invalid/incorrect comparison and a false equivalency. If someone/anyone can show that the majority of vehicle manufacturers are replacing obsolete 3G modems for free, then this argument would carry some weight.
However, the argument that since services like Simplisafe and ADT are replacing obsolete modems, or a phone carrier is replacing a phone for free (when most phone carriers are not), then also extrapolates out to meaning Lincoln and other automakers should replace obsolete modems for free...is a false equivalency.

The entire service and business models of Simplisafe, ADT, AT&T etc. depends on an operational modem. Their primary function depends on an operational modem. No working modem, no service. No service...and they don't get paid each month by the customer.
Cars/CUV's/ SUV's/trucks do not need an operational modem to perform their primary design functions. Our vehicles work just fine to perform all of their primary functions, as designed, without it.

Without an operational modem/phone etc., the services of Simplisafe, ADT and AT&T do not exist and are worthless. So if Simplisafe, ADT and AT&T do not replace your modems/phone "for free" (keeping in mind that nothing is free, we pay for it one way or another), their services will no longer work, and you will stop paying for it. They have to replace the modem, since their service depends on it, so you keep paying your monthly/annual fees.

On the other hand, a car/CUV/SUV/truck etc. will still perform every function that a vehicle is actually designed to do, even if the modem is inop. It will drive exactly as designed. The climate control and audio systems will work just fine. We simply will not be able to lock/unlock/check the oil life, etc. etc., from halfway around the world.

And again, this exact situation is specifically addressed in the Owners Warranty Guide we are all given when we purchase new. Vehicle manufacturers are not responsible for tech obsolescence due to the business decisions of other companies. In this case, the cell signal carriers who decided to eliminate 3G services.

Now once again, with all of that being said: Do I wish the auto manufacturers, including Lincoln, would replace the 3G modems for free on vehicles still within their original New Vehicle Bumper to Bumper Warranties? Yes, I do.
But what I want and wish is not necessarily what is reality or should be.
And when 4G service is eliminated at some point in the future, I will be in the same boat of having to pay for a new modem if I want to keep using LincolnWay features. However, although I not be thrilled, I will also realize that what I want and what I am entitled to are two different things.

And no amount of false equivalencies and invalid/incorrect comparisons to unrelated, non-automotive businesses will change that.

Of course, I completely understand this discussion will not change the mind of anyone who has to pay for a new modem, but it is reality.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ballscout1

Jul 22, 2022
My Lincoln
2015MKZ
Where is the embedded modem located and can it be replaced as a DIY project?

I am feeling rather ambitious since I just did my sync 2 to sync 3 upgrade

kccode1

May 30, 2019
It's right in front of the center console down by the floorboard. It's right to get to. Mine finally works after the Ford engineers came out and did a lot of reprogramming with one exception. When I start the car it doesn't send messages back to the app that it started. I gave up on the dealer and just accepted it since the car actually starts.

feobrien

Jul 10, 2019
I paid for the new Modem in January. I am still waiting for my dealer to receive the part. I check regularly. This has been a horrific customer experience, poorly executed by Lincoln

jkeaton

Aug 1, 2019
Winston Salem, NC
My Lincoln
2013 MKS
I paid for the new Modem in January. I am still waiting for my dealer to receive the part. I check regularly. This has been a horrific customer experience, poorly executed by Lincoln
They could be running into supply chain issues like everyone else. Hardly Lincoln's fault.

feobrien

Jul 10, 2019
They could be running into supply chain issues like everyone else. Hardly Lincoln's fault.
I get the supply chain issue, but it has been six months since I ordered the part which I prepaid. Also, i am told from Lincoln that it is not a supply chain issue, but the part just doesn't work so they are back to square one. This was apparently discovered after several insulations. That's a system engineering problem at Lincoln. The replacement part should have been fully tested well before the shutdown. Lincoln has also failed in the entire notification process. I was notified only a couple of weeks before the shutdown. My Lincoln dealership knew absolutely nothing about the shutdown and what part was needed until I reached out to them. That's an internal Lincoln communication problem. After three months my dealership received the part, took out the old modem, only to discover at the point it was the wrong part. So yes, Lincoln does share much of the responsibility here.

LindaJ2841

Jul 25, 2022
My Lincoln
2014 MKC
I have a 2014 MKC with low mileage and it’s just like new. I was told that there is no modem upgrade available at all because the car is too old. I am very disappointed.

edgardop73

Sep 24, 2020
The only thing I wish is standard pricing thru Lincoln. Why different dealers have different prices. I wouldn't had a problem replacing it if the price was standard.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
I have a 2014 MKC with low mileage and it’s just like new. I was told that there is no modem upgrade available at all because the car is too old. I am very disappointed.

Hi Linda and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Modem connectivity only began with the Introduction of SYNC 3 in some 2016 and then 2017 Lincoln/Ford models.

Your 2014 MKC had the older, SYNC or SYNC with MyLincolnTouch. It did not have a modem in the first place. That is why there is no modem "upgrade".

Good luck.