Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Aviator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: HELP! HELP! HELP! _ Leaky Sunroof!!

HELP! HELP! HELP! _ Leaky Sunroof!!

Remove this ad
    I have a 1987 Lincoln Town Car with a carriage roof and a factory sunroof. I took it in to an upholstery shop that specializes in sunroof repairs. They installed a correct replacement sunroof glass and all new seals. When the roof is closed, it leaks. The drains on both sides are clean and open and the water drains down the tubes when you test them. The glass is adjusted correctly. The place also installed a new headliner and recovered the sliding sunshade. However, when they put it all together, the plastic ring that goes up around the sunroof opening causes the glass and the sunshade to all bind and nothing can open. They left the plastic ring off and everything works fine. Does that plastic trim piece also have a function to help keep the water from raining down on everything? Or is it just a trim piece? Without it up in place, you would never know that it is missing.
    I need to answers. The repair shop doesnt seem to know why its leaking.

Jimr1354

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    I would tend to think that if the plastic ring was there in the first place, then it would need to go back in. Maybe it's an adjustment issue to get the ring to fit? I haven't had a sunroof apart yet, so I'm not much help unfortunately. Hopefully someone pops in who has some experience.

If the unit is leaking when fully closed it is not adjusted properly!!If the sunshade does not fit either they used the wrong material or again its not properly installed. I believe the sunshade material has no backing where as the headline does. if they used headliner material with 3/16th backing (standard) then there is 3/*' too much thickness ( material doubled).

The glass is adjusted correctly. The sunshade is in the correct track for the shade. BUT, I too agree with you that it should be covered with material and NO foam padding. The tech working on it thinks the glass is defective. After he got it adjusted, he checked it for leaks again and it STILL is leaking just as if it was open yet.

You need to have the plastic tray in place. You must.
    That tray catches and delivers the water to the drains on each side.
    Even when tray is in place, water can sneak under the rail tracks that guide the glass. Make sure those are sealing on each side.
    Test by pouring some water and see where and how it is getting past the tray or the rail guides. Lubricate tracks with white lithium grease in the pressure can with straw or silicone spray with the straw also.

Remove this ad
    Thats what I told the auto upholstery and glass shop. When they put it back in place, the roof glass and even the sliding sunshade all bind up and you cant open anything. Its funny because thats the way it was built. I dont think they know how to put it back together.