Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Aviator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: A/C not engaging correctly

A/C not engaging correctly

Remove this ad
    I have a 2001 Lincoln Town car.

When I turn on the AC it doesn't engage quick.
    It usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes to engage and starts blowing cold air.

I have checked for loose or corroded connections. And already checked the freon level and it's fine.

Any other suggestions?

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Is the compressor clutch not engaging when you turn the AC on? If not, unplug the plug from the clutch & see if you're getting power to the plug. If you are getting power, then the clutch may be the culprit.

Check the relay for the A/c clutch. It should be with all the fuses in your engine bay. Swap it for your horn relay. That should take care of your problem. look in the owners manual which relay it is.

Good luck

Remove this ad
    Also, with engine running and A/C demand button and blower fan on high, carefully tap the clutch plate with a long stick to help it engage the compressor. Watch out for the spinning belt and pulleys.
    If the clutch plate engages when tapping it, it must be that the air gap between them has become too large and distant.
    The way to adjust that gap is engine off, remove the bolt at center of that plate and pry the plate off, there will be a washer spacer around that bolt under the plate, needs to have a thinner one for the magnetic force to be closer to that plate to pull it against the compressor itself. If that's all that tests bad, it's a simple fix. Good luck.