Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 03 lincoln tc

Thread: 03 lincoln tc

ROLLIN55 is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003

03 lincoln tc

Remove this ad
    hello just joined an first town car bought couple weeks ago 146k drove great but recently noticed hesitation after 30 up to normal speed limit. ive read many post on here and other sites but it is overwhelming trying to figure some sort of direction, what i have done myself is motor craft plugs, 8 mid grade coils because motor craft brand are so expensive also a new egr valve. im going to replace fuel filter soon. any other ideas maybe sensors? thanks for the support.
    Last edited by ROLLIN55; 02-12-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your new car.

Just to confirm the hesitation is occurring momentarily any time you try to accelerate between 30 mph and 75 mph, or for a consistent acceleration the car will hesitate repeatedly? How does the car respond when in cruise control?

I would suspect the throttle position sensor is worn, perhaps due to predominantly being highway driven. The throttle position sensor can be tested by reading the resistance value as the throttle is opened from idle to full throttle and back to idle. The resistance in ohms should increase in one direction and decrease in the other. If there is a worn segment the resistance may drop to zero at that point, so you are looking for a consistent change in ohms.

I don't have a procedure for the 2003 model and the 2007 model is a different configuration. If you need help with identifying the throttle position sensor or how to test it I will get a 2001 procedure that is probably the same as your car.

Good luck.

dave42 is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 Town Car Signature Limited
    I've never done that test but expect that an analog test meter (with the needle that moves up and down) would be easier to read than a digital for this test.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
    I've never done that test but expect that an analog test meter (with the needle that moves up and down) would be easier to read than a digital for this test.
    It could be if you are used to analogue instruments. But the digital works well. You can see the numbers change and when the gap is encountered the display shows zero which is instantly recognised. An analogue display would also be easy to see.

hello its taking me sometime to reply back, you sure know your cars , yes its neat how you mention highway miles it was a preachers car i was told he would do long drives to pass the good word. i still feel the hesitation in driving, there is a difference in cruise control engaged seems to go away a bit. well after 2cans of fuel injector cleaner last 2weeks and replacing the fuel filter i thought it wouldve solved looked like the original an needed to be changed anyway. im not really sure of the testing sensors as you mention so i just bought a new one. i seen the location of the old one with 2 screws facing couple inches from the firewall. you have to remove part of the TB to access other side. when i had it apart noticed it was brownish on the ends from the plate i took off, then i looked into the TB seen 2 ports, one about the size of pencil the other size of a dime. only the areas around was dirty guess that is the problem or the injectors,would that cause a car to give problems like this? i thought it would really have to be gumped up. i didnt have time to clean it then but will monday or tuesday morning. i have to admit to my friends it most of surely rides better than my 05 cadillac dts. i couldn’t amagine what a new one is like. what else you think could it be? thank you again for any suggestions.

dave42 is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 Town Car Signature Limited
    I would suggest attaching a scanner (various auto parts stores will do this free) to see if the car is throwing any error codes. If you have a miss it can tell you what cylinder, then you can figure out if it is coil, plug, or injector. Swapping coil pack from a cylinder showing an error with another cylinder will narrow down whether it is the coil or not.

My car just had this problem a few days ago. It was fine at constant speed but missed during acceleration. Code thrown was P0305 which means miss on cylinder 5. Swapping coils between 5 and 6 actually made the problem go away, though that may be temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLIN55 View Post
    hello its taking me sometime to reply back, you sure know your cars , yes its neat how you mention highway miles it was a preachers car i was told he would do long drives to pass the good word. i still feel the hesitation in driving, there is a difference in cruise control engaged seems to go away a bit. well after 2cans of fuel injector cleaner last 2weeks and replacing the fuel filter i thought it wouldve solved looked like the original an needed to be changed anyway. im not really sure of the testing sensors as you mention so i just bought a new one. i seen the location of the old one with 2 screws facing couple inches from the firewall. you have to remove part of the TB to access other side. when i had it apart noticed it was brownish on the ends from the plate i took off, then i looked into the TB seen 2 ports, one about the size of pencil the other size of a dime. only the areas around was dirty guess that is the problem or the injectors,would that cause a car to give problems like this? i thought it would really have to be gumped up. i didnt have time to clean it then but will monday or tuesday morning. i have to admit to my friends it most of surely rides better than my 05 cadillac dts. i couldn’t amagine what a new one is like. what else you think could it be? thank you again for any suggestions.
    The process you describe for replacing the TPS does not sound right to me. The TPS is fastened to the throttle body with 2 screws and it fits over the throttle plate extension. Can you confirm the attached procedure for replacing the TPS from a 2001 model? Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Since your car has 146,000 miles and the spark plugs are scheduled to be changed at 150,000 miles then that would be my next step. You need to replace all 8 and not just the ones that may be misfiring if you check the DTC with an OBD2 reader or scanner. We have a Tech forum with articles on some common repairs which includes replacement of the spark plugs which you will find here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ug-replacement see post #2 for the pdf document.

The throttle body will not likely be the cause of any issues on your car. The brown stain is from fuel blowback and would only be a problem if there is a buildup of deposits around the throttle plate that may interfere. Ford say not to clean the throttle body due to a special coating used; some people reject this idea and clean it anyway. Unless you have noticeable deposits then it is not worth the risk, especially since your concern is at higher throttle opening.

Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

hello i wanted to say finally service engine light came on after 3weeks of not knowing, i know that sounds crazy for some kinda hoping for it to happen, i had a guy use scan tool to help figure the hesitation, it sent a p1406 code an i sorta figured it out. but at least i won’t have to do anymore tuning it up lol. i guess i should’ve describe it better, that link you sent of the tps is right its just mounted on the back side on one end of TB its very simple to remove. thank you for the guidance on this forum on how to do it the right way definitely helps.

Remove this ad
    That is great that you fixed your problem. For others the DTC P1406 is the "Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor downstream hose off or plugged".