Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Hello everybody! New member here

Hello everybody! New member here

Remove this ad
    Hi guys thanks for making this forum and allowing me to become a member. I currently drive a 2000 Lincoln Continental. I am currently a community college student in San Diego, California studying Electrical Engineering. I completed the technical training that E.C.C. provides in automotive technology. I managed to pass the ASE A6 Test. My Continental is one comfortable ride, and I believe it does provide a lot of protection but it is a gas guzzler. Current problems with it is that it keeps overheating, and bleeding the air out is a tedious process.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations on your academic success.

You may get some practical help for your Continental in this forum: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/for...ental-Town-Car which will have more experienced owners of the same car. Sounds like you may have an air lock causing the overheating in the first place. Do you have a coolant fill process that includes steps to eliminate air lock? Does your heater work properly?

Good luck.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Welcome aboard, glad to have you here.

In addition to Town's thoughts regarding your overheating issue, you may also want to make sure your cooling fan is operating properly, same with your thermostat. If those both check out fine, it may be a partially plugged radiator, or even as bad as a blown head gasket.

Remove this ad
    You have to remember your car is 18 years old.
    A lot of things like thermostats, fans, hoses, water pumps, and radiators may need attention.
    I haven’t had to touch the cooling system on my ‘02 Continental yet.
    But from what I’ve read, following the procedure in the service manual is the best and easiest way to get it purged.
    Another thought is to get one of those pressure/vacuum kits that force all the air out of the system.

Good luck with your Electrical Engineering studies. They might come in handy when you look at the hundreds of wiring schematics for one of these beasts.