Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Transmission Problems 2009 Navigator

Transmission Problems 2009 Navigator

Remove this ad
    Hello everybody,
    my Name is Rudi ( my first language is german, so please forgive some incorrect english and I am new to this Forum.
    I purchased my 2009 Navigator in 09/2016 ( traded in a VW Touareg ) and was happy with it until a few days ago.
    I really love this Nav - more does my wife -
    The check engine light and the wrench appeared, I read the codes - PO 731 /later PO 741
    sometimes the transmission get stuck at 2. gear ( around 3000rpm), sometimes it goes to limp mode -
    after restart the engine ( or erase the code with the code reader )- its gone and everything works well. I brought the Nav to a transmission shop -
    they told me I need a new tranny -I am not sure about that
    Does anybody had the same problem and can lead me to a solution?
    I would really appreciate that!
    Tks

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Hmmm, it's strange that the problem is intermittent like that.
    Town was able to decipher them in your other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    P0731 = Gear 1 incorrect ratio
    P0734 = Gear 4 incorrect ratio
    P0741 = Torque Converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off
    The first thing I would check is the wiring harness that goes to the transmission. See if it has been rubbing on anything, that may cause it to short out intermittently. Or if it possibly laid against the exhaust, which may have burned through the insulation, shorting the wires.

Thank you, I gonna check this -I looked up the codes - they give different solutions -
    check fluid - I did - was ok
    change fluid and filter - maybe this weekend
    check ( or change ) transmission solenoid - maybe next step.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Sounds good.
    Here's another possibility that Driller posted in your other thread, in case you haven't seen it...
    Quote Originally Posted by driller View Post
    I had very similar issues with an 2012 F150 which I am pretty sure has the same transmission.

The fix for me was a new valve body for the transmission.

Remove this ad
    Tks,
    I finally ended up to replace the transmission, but thank you for your support!