Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Horn chirp warning
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)

Horn chirp warning

Remove this ad
    Last Saturday it was -18 C and I left my car to pay for parking which was about 10 steps away. The horn chirped many times (single horn sound repeated every 2 seconds or so - not like a panic alarm sound) so I turned it off with the panic button and it just started up chirping again. My wife and grand daughter were buckled in the car. So is this a warning about forgetting passengers (young kids in booster seats) when leaving a car unlocked and unattended?

I could not find anything in my owner manual to explain the chirp. Any ideas?

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    I forget, if the car does that when it is running and you exit the car with the keys still in the car. Mine did it once when I opened the door and stepped out and closed the car door. It is a reminder to take your keys.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    I forget, if the car does that when it is running and you exit the car with the keys still in the car. Mine did it once when I opened the door and stepped out and closed the car door. It is a reminder to take your keys.
    Yes, i understand those warnings; but my car was not running and doors were closed and unlocked and my key was in my pocket. My wife also has a key and that was in her purse in the car.

The only aspect different from me leaving my wife in the car to get gas was my grand daughter in her booster seat strapped into the back seat. Hence my thought it was a warning about kids left in cars. But I don't know.

jhartz is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental Select 2.7 AWD
    "My wife also has a key and that was in her purse in the car." It thinks you left your key in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartz View Post
    "My wife also has a key and that was in her purse in the car." It thinks you left your key in the car.
    Thanks, but that happens many times when I get gas and my wife is in the car, no chirping then.

MKXMark is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 MKZ Reserve 2.0 FWD/2017 MKX Select AWD
    Our '17s don't do that either when my wife has her fob in the car and I get out.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    If I have my '17 Taurus running, then close the door after exiting the car, it gives me two horn chirps. Then two more horn chirps each time any door is closed, as I am loading items in the car. Drives me nuts.

Town, I'm not sure why your Continental would have done that...I guess I'm just posting to vent a little. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Fan View Post
    If I have my '17 Taurus running, then close the door after exiting the car, it gives me two horn chirps. Then two more horn chirps each time any door is closed, as I am loading items in the car. Drives me nuts.

Town, I'm not sure why your Continental would have done that...I guess I'm just posting to vent a little. LOL
    Hi Slick Fan, be glad you don't have a 2016 Mitsubishi since a guy put his groceries in the car and started it and then closed the door to clean off the snow. But all the doors are locked (autolock engaged) and he cannot get back in and the engine is still running. He called his neighbour to get a spare key and come and get him.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Hi Slick Fan, be glad you don't have a 2016 Mitsubishi since a guy put his groceries in the car and started it and then closed the door to clean off the snow. But all the doors are locked (autolock engaged) and he cannot get back in and the engine is still running. He called his neighbour to get a spare key and come and get him.
    Good grief! Yep, that would be worse than having to put up with a chirping horn, for sure. On the bright side, I bet the car was nice-n-toasty when he finally got back in.

Cold weather story:

I had a 1983 Buick LeSabre in my driveway overnight when the temperature went down around -10F. While shaving in the morning getting ready for work, I heard someone blowing his horn. Looked out the front window and saw it was MY CAR. Went outside, got in car but could not get horn to stop. Lifted hood, reached down and disconnected horn wires. Later that day, after work, when temperatures warmed up, reconnected the horn wires. No problem. (Happened around 1985, Rochester NY).

With modern cars, I have no idea where the horns are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrcbob View Post
    Cold weather story:

I had a 1983 Buick LeSabre in my driveway overnight when the temperature went down around -10F. While shaving in the morning getting ready for work, I heard someone blowing his horn. Looked out the front window and saw it was MY CAR. Went outside, got in car but could not get horn to stop. Lifted hood, reached down and disconnected horn wires. Later that day, after work, when temperatures warmed up, reconnected the horn wires. No problem. (Happened around 1985, Rochester NY).

With modern cars, I have no idea where the horns are located.
    The horns on my car are located in front of rad on right side (from driver's perspective), same as normal. Perhaps the cold weather is a factor since I have experienced the battery being guarded against unnecessary use when weather is cold. Today its only -12 C so I will fasten rear seat belt as if a passenger were seated and drive a bit and leave the car with my wife in it to see if the horn chirps.

The Owner's Manual says that only the front seats are monitored. We will see.

Good test. Leave her key (your second key) at home. I contend the car security and locking module thinks you have left the car with the key inside (her key in her purse in the car, not the one in your pocket). Jaguar and Range Rovers do the same thing: the SLCMs are Ford and Denso design, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    The horns on my car are located in front of rad on right side (from driver's perspective), same as normal. Perhaps the cold weather is a factor since I have experienced the battery being guarded against unnecessary use when weather is cold. Today its only -12 C so I will fasten rear seat belt as if a passenger were seated and drive a bit and leave the car with my wife in it to see if the horn chirps.

The Owner's Manual says that only the front seats are monitored. We will see.
    While I thought I had seen the horns in front of the rad, I am mistaken (sorry Ctrcbob), I cannot see them at all anywhere in the frontal area because it is all sealed off.

I tried the test and the horn (just one) did not chirp. No person in back buckled seat, my wife buckled in with her key in her purse and I walked a distance away with the doors unlocked. So the differences are: 6 C warmer and missing my grand daughter's 43 lb weight and her booster seat.

Good to know; thanks

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jhartz View Post
    Good test. Leave her key (your second key) at home. I contend the car security and locking module thinks you have left the car with the key inside (her key in her purse in the car, not the one in your pocket). Jaguar and Range Rovers do the same thing: the SLCMs are Ford and Denso design, too.
    From my test in another post that does not seem to be the case. So I tried another test, leaving my key fob in my empty car and locking the doors manually. The doors locked (red indicator lights) and the door closed and showed the lock icon on the window side panel. Then there were two beeps (not the horn) and the doors unlocked. I tried the fob near the dash and in the back seat with the same result. The Continental is obviously a super smart car.

My Town Car would not let me leave the keys in the ignition and lock the doors, it just unlocked the doors before/after closing and made a noise. I think it would lock the doors if the key was out of the ignition and sitting on a seat however.

Lincoln rules.