Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Aviator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Gas spits out when driving

Gas spits out when driving

Remove this ad
    I have an 88 lincoln town car. When i fill up at the gas station it spits the gas out after only puttin a dollar or two. After filling up i start drivin when i stop and park i can see gas comin from the gas door and then i see gas on the under the car....it seems that the gas is comin out of the gas cap has anyone had this problem before???

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    No not heard of this before. The fuel system is supposed to be a sealed unit where the venting is through the charcoal filter canister unit. There are solenoid valves to control the venting and the routing of vapours to the engine intake when required. The gas cap has to seal the gas inlet because there is a fuel system test that draws air out of the tank and system to ensure there are no leaks.

Probably best to check for a leak (hole) in the metal gas pipe due to corrosion before buying a new cap.

Good luck.

When you say metal has pipe do you mean the neck of the gas tank?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelflrs07@gmail.com View Post
    When you say metal has pipe do you mean the neck of the gas tank?
    There is usually a metal fill pipe from the gas door to the gas tank opening where a rubber hose joins the two. The metal pipe is necessary to ground the gas pipe opening to avoid static electricity from blowing up your car. That metal pipe can rust through and leak gas. So that pipe is important to check for a leak and the gas cap does not last forever since the rubber seals fail over time.