Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Aviator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Brake light coming on

Brake light coming on

Remove this ad
    Howdy All,

I've noticed a few times in the last few weeks the brake light indicator comes on under hard braking. Once I let off it goes out. Could this be a low fluid indication?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselyeti View Post
    Howdy All,

I've noticed a few times in the last few weeks the brake light indicator comes on under hard braking. Once I let off it goes out. Could this be a low fluid indication?
    Have you checked the fluid level, I usually keep the level close to the full mark with DOT 3 fluid. What year is your car? There are other reasons for the brake light to come on since it is a brake failure warning.

If the brake fluid is low then better to know sooner than later when air gets into the system and you have a very low pedal and poor braking.

Good luck.

2008. I topped it with some DOT3 and the problem is fixed. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the front brakes this summer.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Great news. If the brake fluid has not been changed then it will be dark in the master cylinder and worse at the wheel cylinders due to moisture accumulation. You may need to replace the fluid.

wimpy is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 11, LTC Executive L,09 LTC Signature L, 05 & 03 LTC Exec L, 99 120 Krystal Limo, 01 100 Krystal Limo
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    You may need to replace the fluid.
    Find yourself some Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid ($5-$6) Low Moisture Absorption. Highly recommend.