Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Nautilus | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Mirror problem on 1st car and glass problem on 2nd car

Mirror problem on 1st car and glass problem on 2nd car

Remove this ad
    some background.
    I have a 2001 Executive L(without memory) and a 2002 Cartier L(with memory).

Cartier's problem is the side mirror will move to the wrong direction given a switch input. For example: you intend to move the mirror down, the mirror will go left.
    Exective's problem is the window glass switch will switch up and down the wrong glass, or sometimes switch up and down 2 glass at a time by only touching 1 switch.

So , I did a comprehensive examination by switching parts of the 2 cars, exhausting all scenarios and here's what I got:

Let
    C mirror = Cartier's side mirror
    C ddm = Cartier's driver door module
    C control = Cartier's windows/mirror switch
    E mirror = Executive's side mirror
    E ddm = Executive's driver door module
    E control = Executive's windows/mirror switch

so, if on Cartier, I installed E mirror & C ddm & E control , I'll say: " On Cartier : E mirror C ddm E control = BAD. "

This means, for this combination of installation, the mirror will have a problem described above.

so here we go.

------------------------------BELOW IS FOR MIRROR--------------------------------------
    On Cartier : C mirror C ddm C control BAD
    On Cartier : C mirror C ddm E control BAD
    On Cartier : C mirror E ddm C control GOOD
    On Cartier : C mirror E ddm E control GOOD
    On Cartier : E mirror C ddm E control BAD
    On Cartier : E mirror C ddm C control BAD
    On Cartier : E mirror E ddm E control GOOD
    On Cartier : E mirror E ddm C control GOOD

On executive: C mirror E ddm E control GOOD
    On executive: C mirror E ddm C control GOOD
    On executive: C mirror C ddm E control GOOD
    On executive: C mirror C ddm C control GOOD
    On executive: E mirror E ddm E control GOOD
    On executive: E mirror E ddm C control GOOD
    On executive: E mirror C ddm E control GOOD
    On executive: E mirror C ddm C control GOOD

----------------------------------BELOW IS FOR WINDOWS GLASS---------------
    WINDOWS GLASS
    On Cartier: C ddm C control GOOD
    On Cartier: C ddm E control GOOD
    On Cartier: E ddm C control GOOD
    On Cartier: E ddm E control GOOD
    On executive: E ddm E control BAD
    On executive: E ddm C control BAD
    On executive: C ddm E control BAD
    On executive: C ddm C contro l BAD

From these data, I cannot conclude anything wrong, nor can I conclude that anything good.
    Is there any OTHER FACTOR that will make the mirror or glass go bad?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    That is a lot of work to setup those combinations with the two cars and the individual components. I am impressed. It appears that you can get a working combination for the mirrors on both cars using:
    Cartier: C mirror E DDM and C control
    Executive: E mirror C DDM and E control

But I don't understand the window glass table. I would have thought you would use the appropriate DDM (as above) with the window switch but you repeat the mirror test with different results.

Good luck.

the glass table has one less variable, the "mirror". Because the mirror, I suppose , will not affect how the glass operates.
    so basically i thought only the DDM and the Control switch will affect glass operation

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 24000rpm View Post
    the glass table has one less variable, the "mirror". Because the mirror, I suppose , will not affect how the glass operates.
    so basically i thought only the DDM and the Control switch will affect glass operation
    Yes, I agree your logic, but I did not see that you used the same identifier for the glass switch as the mirror switch. So now you don't have a set of components that work the mirrors and windows for either car. All the components work under some circumstances but not all circumstances. Perhaps a different approach is needed.

Perhaps you need the electrical charts for the two models since the DDM programming for them may be quite different or the wiring is different. That could amount to a lot of diagrams. Do you have any? I can probably get them in pdf form.

Good luck.