Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Misfire With 2.7L Engine
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    SouthernProducer is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    21

    Unhappy Misfire With 2.7L Engine

    Remove this ad
    My 2017 Continental with less than 3000 miles on the odometer has the 2.7L engine that recently experienced misfiring (on number 3 cylinder per my dealer). My dealer found nothing else wrong and no TSB's for service advisories were listed for this condition. He reset the service engine light and sent me on my way. I don't like it when a problem manifests and there is no resolution. Also, I know that the early versions of the 2.7L engine had problems, but Ford supposedly had that fixed...note, that is the reason I avoided the 2.7L when I purchased my F150 a couple years ago. When I ordered my Continental, my dealer assured me the 2.7L problems no longer plagued that engine and they were fine now.

    Now my question...anybody here have a similar experience with your 2.7L engine? I'd like to hear about your experience and any resolutions you found. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Town's Avatar
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Age
    73
    Posts
    3,055
    My 2017 Continental has the 2.7 liter engine. No problems of any sort with the engine or car except for a door interior e-latch needed to be replaced. It has about 6,700 kilometers (4,163 miles).

    A misfire is detected when a cylinder does not contribute to engine speed as much as calculated. The misfire info is stored and your dealer can see how prevalent it is. There is a formula for the PCM to calculate when to display a check engine light for misfire since misfires are common in all engines. If the light is flashing then the misfire is serious enough that you should stop, otherwise it is OK to keep driving.

    Your dealer has got all the info at hand and it probably does not point to a particular problem.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    SouthernProducer is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    My 2017 Continental has the 2.7 liter engine. No problems of any sort with the engine or car except for a door interior e-latch needed to be replaced. It has about 6,700 kilometers (4,163 miles).

    A misfire is detected when a cylinder does not contribute to engine speed as much as calculated. The misfire info is stored and your dealer can see how prevalent it is. There is a formula for the PCM to calculate when to display a check engine light for misfire since misfires are common in all engines. If the light is flashing then the misfire is serious enough that you should stop, otherwise it is OK to keep driving.

    Your dealer has got all the info at hand and it probably does not point to a particular problem.

    Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply, Town. I did take the car to the dealer for the misfire condition and you are correct about the flashing service light flashing as my car exhibited. The dealer found the code (I don't have it) which indicated that #3 cylinder was misfiring and he cleared the code from the ECM. He did not find a cause and told me he did the usual check for any TSB's or Advisories and decided non applied in my case. Of course, that does not give me any comfort at this point and given the history of the 2.7L, but I guess there is nothing I can do at this point except drive the car.

    Thanks again for your input.

  4. #4
    Town's Avatar
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Age
    73
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernProducer View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Town. I did take the car to the dealer for the misfire condition and you are correct about the flashing service light flashing as my car exhibited. The dealer found the code (I don't have it) which indicated that #3 cylinder was misfiring and he cleared the code from the ECM. He did not find a cause and told me he did the usual check for any TSB's or Advisories and decided non applied in my case. Of course, that does not give me any comfort at this point and given the history of the 2.7L, but I guess there is nothing I can do at this point except drive the car.

    Thanks again for your input.
    When the flashing check engine light occurred was the engine under load from hard acceleration or hill climbing, etc? Direct injection is more efficient at higher engine speeds so lower engine speeds and high throttle opening would perhaps be a factor.

    The flashing check engine light is more dangerous than a normal misfire, it means the cylinder is detonating i.e. ignition is occurring at the wrong time. The flame front is occurring before the piston is at the right place. The result of detonation is an engine knock from the shock waves that will remove metal from pistons and combustion chamber if left to continue.

    A major cause would be poor fuel quality but can be spark plug overheating or other hot spots in the combustion chamber. Direct injection into the cylinder head requires very precise fuel atomization and conversion to a gas so the injector is also a possible problem too.

    If you are using gas from a reputable source then I would expect your dealer to replace the spark plug and injector. The knock sensor should update the PCM to retard the ignition but is it working correctly? There is a device that can be powered through the OBD2 port to record engine info over a few days that is pertinent to the problem at hand to help find a resolution. My dealer attached that device many years back and it was helpful. You will always get pushback from the dealer when the problem has occurred only once.

    Good luck.

  5. #5
    SouthernProducer is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    When the flashing check engine light occurred was the engine under load from hard acceleration or hill climbing, etc? Direct injection is more efficient at higher engine speeds so lower engine speeds and high throttle opening would perhaps be a factor.

    The flashing check engine light is more dangerous than a normal misfire, it means the cylinder is detonating i.e. ignition is occurring at the wrong time. The flame front is occurring before the piston is at the right place. The result of detonation is an engine knock from the shock waves that will remove metal from pistons and combustion chamber if left to continue.

    A major cause would be poor fuel quality but can be spark plug overheating or other hot spots in the combustion chamber. Direct injection into the cylinder head requires very precise fuel atomization and conversion to a gas so the injector is also a possible problem too.

    If you are using gas from a reputable source then I would expect your dealer to replace the spark plug and injector. The knock sensor should update the PCM to retard the ignition but is it working correctly? There is a device that can be powered through the OBD2 port to record engine info over a few days that is pertinent to the problem at hand to help find a resolution. My dealer attached that device many years back and it was helpful. You will always get pushback from the dealer when the problem has occurred only once.

    Good luck.
    I understand the implications of the flashing service engine light and agree with your overview (I have a background in automotive and aircraft mechanics). To answer your questions, the misfire started immediately upon a cold start and continued through the early warm-up stage. Once the engine approached normal temp's, the misfiring stopped and the service engine light remained on. The car was not under heavy loads during the event.

    The dealer did not replace the plug or injector...this is one source of my irritation with the whole dealer experience...it certainly is not representative of the promises made by Lincoln with respect to providing an outstanding customer experience. To add insult to injury, the dealer where I purchased the car sold the dealership to an out-of-town (absentee) owner which has resulted in a total deterioration of the dealership with the best technicians and sales force leaving soon thereafter. The dealer ratings have dropped ever since. Lincoln tells me they are aware! My next closed dealer is 50 miles away. That is the dealer where I took my Continental with the problem misfire. As you can imagine...I am not happy with that dealer taking 2 days to diagnose the problem and only clearing the trouble code. I also have to add that this dealer was also sold 1 week prior to my visit to person that also owns a poorly rated Infinity dealership within 10 minutes of the Lincoln dealership. Of course, there was a bit of negative attitudes or extreme stress displayed by some of the employees...for example, there were NO service advisors present in the Lincoln service area. The Assistant Service Manager was handling all the customer facing issues by himself. I do not plan to try the next distant Lincoln as I view 100 miles from my home just too far away.

    With respect to fuel, I have a reliable source of gasoline (and diesel for my fleet of tractors) and only use non-ethanol 93 octane grade gasoline. I also use the same fuel in my Corvette and never experienced a fuel related issue.

    Overall, I am not optimistic that the problem will fade into the past. I do know that if I can't trust the Continental (another service engine light might do it), I will get rid of it. So, in synopsis I have a weak Lincoln dealer network in my area and my confidence in the car is seriously shaken at this point. Lastly, my wife will not drive the car if her trips are more than 25 miles from home...not a good sign!

  6. #6
    Town's Avatar
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Age
    73
    Posts
    3,055
    I have asked the question if other Continentals are experiencing your symptoms in the New Continental Forum here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...397#post687397

    Perhaps someone knows something about this problem.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    SouthernProducer is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    21
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    I have asked the question if other Continentals are experiencing your symptoms in the New Continental Forum here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...397#post687397

    Perhaps someone knows something about this problem.

    Good luck.
    Thanks...I appreciate your help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •