Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2006 Town Car owner
    Vincent Williams is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2006 Town Car

2006 Town Car owner

Remove this ad
    Greetings! I have a 2006 Town Car Signature, ex-livery vehicle, approaching 480,000 miles. The engine and transmission have been rebuilt once each, about 100,000 miles ago. I replaced the radiator only a month ago; it was the original. Not bad. I had the paint restored and coated in a ceramic coating, so it looks like a million bucks. Certainly not like it has nearly half a million miles. This pic is on a trip out to Vegas earlier this year.

Obviously with a car with this much ground under it, there will be issues now and then. I'm in the process of replacing things as I go, or whenever a problem pops up. The radiator, water pump, head temperature sensor, and alternator are all new.

I am having an overheating problem, and a P1299 code appeared. This prompted the head temp sensor replacement. It is still overheating, at least the display says so. I'm planning on having the radiator/thermostat checked (installed by Pep Boys).

If anyone has thoughts about this issue, I'm all ears. They're a little red because I bought a Haynes manual and there's no mention of this code or this problem. They've been emailed.

Thank you!

Vince, Anaheim CA

Vincent Williams is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2006 Town Car

New to the forum -- 2006 Town Car Signature

Not sure why, but my initial post went wacky and won't show.

So, new here. I have a 2006 Town Car Signature, ex-livery, 480,000 miles. Engine and transmission rebuilt 100,000 miles ago. Generally, everything runs well and the car looks great. (Photo from a trip to Vegas earlier this year, visiting the Red Rock Canyon area. It was about to start snowing).

The paint is original, recently 'restored' (swirls removed) and coated with a ceramic coating (CS-II Titanium).

I am having an overheating problem, started two days ago. I get a P1299 code, suggesting the head temperature sensor. I replaced it, and it is still overheating. The radiator is new, a month old, and coolant levels are fine.

If anyone has a thought on this, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Williams! And thank you for signing up. Sorry about that post issue. I'm not sure why but your original message got stuck in moderation and wouldn't come out. I think all is well now. Please let me know if you have any further issues... Thank you very much! And again - welcome!
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your next Lincoln for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Welcome to the Forum.

The 1299 code is "cylinder head overtemperature protection active" which is a strategy implemented to reduce further heat buildup in the engine. While it could mean the cylinder head temperature sensor has failed and reported a high temperature to the PCM, it is more likely your cooling system has an actual fault. The most likely problem since you replaced the coolant pump and radiator is that you have an air lock. The air lock would be caused by filling the cooling system and not eliminating air in the cylinder head. Your engine is low mounted compared to the cooling reservoir (bottle just behind rad) and the heater core rad and access tubes and there is no air bleed high up.

An air lock is most usually detected by a lack of temperature in the two heater hoses. The coolant outlet to the heater core comes from the left side back of engine when looking from the front of car from the rad forward to back of engine. You will see the nipple on top of cylinder head intake manifold. The coolant flow from the engine nipple to heater core is direct. The coolant flow from the heater core outlet is directed by a hose to a metal fitting at back of intake manifold to the underside of the intake manifold and attaches to the coolant pump rear face.

If the coolant is low then an over heating situation will arise also. The only thermostat that you should use in your car is a Motorcraft because it works so much better than any other thermostat. I would replace your thermostat since a failing unit will cause the engine to overheat. The procedure to replace the thermostat is included in the cooling system service procedure listed below.

We have the procedures to service your cooling system in our Tech forum here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...system-service This procedure includes draining the coolant, filling the engine with coolant and the bleeding of air from the system.

Good luck.