Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Another Air Spring Problem

Another Air Spring Problem

Remove this ad
    Hi All:

Right side hanging low. Would pump up in a few seconds. Hmmm? Replaced air spring. Old one didn't seem to have any leaks. Did the jacking and blocking as suggested in the Sticky and various posts. Air suspension light is on but compressor will not start up. Jacked it up again and did a deflate. Same results. Everything was working before I replaced the bag which didn't need replacing anyway. Help!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Welcome to the Forum. What year is your car?

I presume the suspension switch in the trunk is turned on. Did you connect the wiring for the solenoid valve at the top of the spring? If damaged or dirty or not fully pressed into its fitting that would cause the suspension module to have a DTC set and turn on the suspension light and prevent operation of the system. A faulty suspension module would also cause this.

In your original problem a leaky valve solenoid (failed O rings etc) would allow air to leak out of the air spring to atmosphere. Did you spray the suspected spring and solenoid valve with soapy water solution to confirm a leak? It is normally recommended to replace the spring solenoid valve when replacing the spring.

Good luck.

Hi: Thanks for replying. It's an '05 with 84000 kms. I changed out both springs last August. I used new O-rings this time and I didn't remove the solenoid. Is it possible I disconnected the solenoid power wire when I was wrestling with the spring? Could a faulty compressor be the problem?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    You have to remove the solenoid to replace the O rings in the solenoid valve. The compressor could fail, but I will try to find the procedure to test the compressor start-up.

Good luck.

Hi:
    Town, you were spot on with the wiring solution. As I was trying to connect the line to the spring the electrical fitting came apart. As the spring hadn't filled it was easy to pull it out and connect the fitting. Works good. Unfortunately I still don't know what caused the right side to hang. I'll have to check in the morning to see if I actually fixed anything. Thanks for your help. By the way my '05 has 94000 kms. Typo.

Is that your new grocery getter? Pretty fancy. The body style reminds me of those old fifties Mercury's. I had one back in the day.

Hope that connection fixed your problem. Is the dash light out?

Yes my new Continental is a beauty.

Good luck.

Remove this ad
    The light is out and the butt has been at the right height for the last two mornings. I hope changing out the O-rings solved the problem. Thanks again for your help.