Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: MAF sensor? 2001 Town Car

MAF sensor? 2001 Town Car

Remove this ad
    MAF sensor? 2001 Town Car
    I'm getting a "howling" noise from MAF housing when idling or when decelerating. I can feel the vibration on the MAF housing when it is acting up. Air cleaner just replaced, still howls and surges when idling, give it a little gas and it smoothes out. I've read it can be cleaned with MAF cleaner, also read that it should not be cleaned. Any advice would be appreciated.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    I have never heard of the MAF making a howling noise, it is just an opening with a wire mesh screen that is electically charged (heated) to sense the air flow through it by temperature drop. Problems are often caused by K&N filter types with an oil film that deposits on the wires and takes away their sensitivity. Replacement is usually the better and safer approach although people do clean them.

A hooting noise is often from the IAC (Idle Air Control) especially if not a Motorcraft version and that fits your other drive-ability issues; or the throttle body cover. Since the air cleaner was recently replaced is the cover in place properly?

Good luck.