Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Hello everyone. I need some advice.

Hello everyone. I need some advice.

Remove this ad
    Hello everybody. I just owned the 2005 Lincoln Town car Signature. The car has 175000 miles original; however, I decided to change the spark plug due to the misfire. I got the broken spark plug and had the engine replaced. I put it to a Vietnamese shop, and when I received the car, I found one problem. When the car in the 1 gear and going to change to the 2nd gear, I apply more gas and hear a knocking metal noise and vibration from the engine bay through the driver seat. It is kinda 2 metal rods nump to each other. This does not happen when the car in 3rd and 4th gear. I already changed the transmission fluid/filter. I am not sure what is possibly wrong with the car. I am going to change the 2 u-joints and differential fluid next week.

P/S: sometimes when I accelerate from a level surface, I hear a grinding noise at the transmission area, after that noise, the car goes smoothly.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by phuphan View Post
    Hello everybody. I just owned the 2005 Lincoln Town car Signature. The car has 175000 miles original; however, I decided to change the spark plug due to the misfire. I got the broken spark plug and had the engine replaced. I put it to a Vietnamese shop, and when I received the car, I found one problem. When the car in the 1 gear and going to change to the 2nd gear, I apply more gas and hear a knocking metal noise and vibration from the engine bay through the driver seat. It is kinda 2 metal rods nump to each other. This does not happen when the car in 3rd and 4th gear. I already changed the transmission fluid/filter. I am not sure what is possibly wrong with the car. I am going to change the 2 u-joints and differential fluid next week.

P/S: sometimes when I accelerate from a level surface, I hear a grinding noise at the transmission area, after that noise, the car goes smoothly.
    Welcome to the Forum.

With the repair of the broken spark plug did your shop actually change the engine? Is it a re-manufactured or used engine? If so you have an engine in unknown condition, that may have a problem, so what does your shop say about this noise. Knocking noises do not usually come and go with an engine, it is serious and needs attention.

Transmissions do not usually make knocking noises either. I think an engine or transmission mount might be responsible since that is more likely in first gear when starting off under torque load the engine/trans twists and would likely touch something like an exhaust. There would likely be some vibration too. The engine and transmission mounts would be removed to change the engine.

The two u joints on the prop shaft between the trans and differential if worn will cause a noise and bump at take-off and a vibration as speed increases that is very noticeable. If worn you should be able to see movement at the joints quite easily when the trans is in neutral and you move the joints by hand. Play in the pinion bearing where the prop shaft connects to the differential may leak thru the seal if the bearing is worn, but not much if any noise and it would be consistent. A differential oil change by removing the back cover is good since it may reveal iron filings in the differential bottom and may show pits on the differential gears that are worn out. Noise from the rear axle is often a whail and not grinding unless the bearings are shot.

I would first talk to the shop to know exactly what was done and explain the problem you are encountering since the repairs.

Good luck.

Hello Mr.Town.
    Thanks a lot for the helpful information that you gave. This is quite the first time I go with Lincoln. Let me clarify my concern.
    I bought the used engine with 78k from LKQ. The engine itself sounds good when idling or revving up at Parking. Just no knocking or weird sounds. Also the engine mounts are good, I assumed. Because there is no such heavy vibration when I rev the car.
    The sound is not kind of knocking, it is more likely when you take two metal rods and bump them together. It is like big "snap on" sound. The sound just happens when it is at 2nd gear. So there is no sound when I park the car and rev up the gas. Somehow, when I stop at the traffic light, I feel light vibration underneath the car, so I assume it is from the drive shaft.
    By the way, I am thinking to drain the torque converter and check for the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. Could they be the cause?
    P/s: if I want to drain the torque converter, should I disable the top line of the two coming out of the tranny?

I have 2003 Lincoln Town Car, it's been good with me since I had it brand new but last month the AC had problem and I already try the best to fix it but the compressor is still not engaging, if I connect directly pin 1 and pin 5 of the relay then the compressor was engaging and AC cold but I can't stop the compressor until turn off the engine. I did drove 2 hours in the weather 100F in California to get home. I parked and open the hood OMG the AC line was frozen and cover by the ice so I have took out the wire then the compressor stop working.
    Here is all step I did try:

1. Replace 2 switch (low and high pressure)
    2. Replace AC relay 204
    3. Replace AC temperature sensor (at the firewall near by the last spark plug on bank 1)
    4. Full re-charged Freon
    5. Replace the climate control
    6. Replacement the heater actuator blend door
    7. Replacement the panel/defrost actuator blend door
    Any body experience with that issue. Please, help me out. Thanks all
    I don't know how to post my question but I really need help. It's very hot at my area.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by phuphan View Post
    Hello Mr.Town.
    Thanks a lot for the helpful information that you gave. This is quite the first time I go with Lincoln. Let me clarify my concern.
    I bought the used engine with 78k from LKQ. The engine itself sounds good when idling or revving up at Parking. Just no knocking or weird sounds. Also the engine mounts are good, I assumed. Because there is no such heavy vibration when I rev the car.
    The sound is not kind of knocking, it is more likely when you take two metal rods and bump them together. It is like big "snap on" sound. The sound just happens when it is at 2nd gear. So there is no sound when I park the car and rev up the gas. Somehow, when I stop at the traffic light, I feel light vibration underneath the car, so I assume it is from the drive shaft.
    By the way, I am thinking to drain the torque converter and check for the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. Could they be the cause?
    P/s: if I want to drain the torque converter, should I disable the top line of the two coming out of the tranny?
    Revving the car at rest does not load the engine and transmission mounts enough to check the mounts. The car must be under load, so check the mounts.

When in gear and stopped with your foot on the brake the driveshaft is not moving, any vibration is not coming from there. The engine is producing torque that goes thru the trans to the drivetrain to the brakes which are preventing car movement.

The torque converter on your car cannot be drained, there is not a drain plug as on models 2002 and earlier. Those two tubes at the trans are cooling lines, one goes to the oil cooler and the other returns the oil from the cooler to the trans. The trans needs a flush to change the trans oil in the torque converter and the rest of the system. Dropping the pan just removes a few quarts, a small part of trans oil capacity.

Good luck.