Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 1997 LINCOLN TOWN CAR- Front seat center map light.......................
    lromjue is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 1997 Lincoln TC Signature

1997 LINCOLN TOWN CAR- Front seat center map light.......................

Remove this ad
    On my 97TC, when I bought it it had the front map light pulled out of the front of the roof. It's just FWD of the moon-roof and the windshield edge. I've tinkered with it some but am reluctant to pull it out to far. The engine or transmission or the driveshaft may come out too.

To avoid a mishap such as that can NEbody tell me what to expect when i do remove the thing? Got NE pictures or diagrams for that part of the car?

Thanks and much obliged to ya'.

larry

1997 LINCOLN TOWN CAR- Front seat center map light.......................
    On my 97TC, when I bought it it had the front map light pulled out of the front of the roof. It's just FWD of the moon-roof and the windshield edge. I've tinkered with it some but am reluctant to pull it out to far. The engine or transmission or the driveshaft may come out too.

To avoid a mishap such as that can NEbody tell me what to expect when i do remove the thing? Got NE pictures or diagrams for that part of the car?

Thanks and much obliged to ya'.

larry

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Hi Larry,

I presume that the light does not work and you are wondering what to do to fix it. I presume you have checked the switch and the bulb and the fuse and you are wondering if there may be a connection in the roof area that you can check for power and ground?

I can pull the electrical diagrams for that interior light and perhaps see if there is a connection in the roof panel. Your owner manual will identify the fuse in the emergency and road assistance section in the central fuse box in passenger compartment or the battery junction box in engine compartment. Are any other circuits not working?

Good luck.

Hi Town,

No. The electrical functions are all normal and proper as far as I can tell. The entire rectangular light lower edge housing is down below the ceiling surface. When pulled on a little bit it seems to be only be being held by a fight fit. I do believe that it will just slide out. I'd like to kinda know what to expect when I do pull it all the way out.
    larry

Hello Town

No. All electrical function seem to be working OK. It's just that the lower edge of the rectangular housing containing the lights themselves is hanging down below the surface of the headliner. I'm just trying to prepare myself for what it may take to get it back to the normal position.

Thanks, larry

larry

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Hi Larry,

Why are there double posts that are almost the same?

OK, the light surround typically is a friction fit in the headliner if it is not part of a larger plastic housing. I would not pull it down further, just increase the friction by inserting something thin like cardboard between the headliner and the plastic housing for the light. Typically the light will have an overlapping wider outer edge than the headliner so you need a short piece of cardboard that sits on the plastic edge and goes up beside the headliner edge. You may need more than one side fitted with the cardboard to hold it firmly. Try to avoid pulling it down more than needed for access.

Above the light fixture there will be wires going up into the headliner so no big deal if the light does come out. It should not come out far unless you tug on it.

Good luck.

"Why are there double posts that are almost the same?"

Town,

That's mostly because I don't know what I'm doing. As a matter of fact I have been mostly considered in my profession, to be un-trainable.

Although I can't totally agree with that, I will admit to being a lot dumber than I look.....................

Thanks,larry

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by lromjue View Post
    Although I can't totally agree with that, I will admit to being a lot dumber than I look.....................
    Yeah, I'll buy into that self deprecating realization.

Good grief. (grumble, grumble)

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Remove this ad
    I owned my 1996 TC Signature Touring Model from new until 2008, I've had that assembly out countless times to replace the moonroof switch or plastic button. I operated the moonroof very often, weather permitting in NJ. From what I remember, there are plastic clips that lock it into the headliner. Depending upon who and how many times that assembly was removed, it could be damaged by now. To install you just push up as it clicks in. To remove you just pull down equally on all sides. Back in 1996, the Dealership had to order a new one as service personnel damaged it. The order took 3 or 4 months as I wanted the correct plastic color--not one color which is then painted/dyed at the Dealership. The moonroof plastic button is very weak and breaks often. Just try pushing your present assembly up, if it doesn't lock in, the clips are damaged.