Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Mini Spare Tire Alert - Recall
    Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental

Unhappy Mini Spare Tire Alert - Recall

Remove this ad
    Just received a no charge Customer Satisfaction Program alert. Seems like driving with a mini spare tire installed can possibly overheat the power transfer unit (PTU) of the all-wheel drive system due to front and rear wheel speed differences. Could cause a strong odor, noise or oil leak if driven in this condition.
    Dealer will reprogram the power train control module at no charge.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Just received a no charge Customer Satisfaction Program alert. Seems like driving with a mini spare tire installed can possibly overheat the power transfer unit (PTU) of the all-wheel drive system due to front and rear wheel speed differences. Could cause a strong odor, noise or oil leak if driven in this condition.
    Dealer will reprogram the power train control module at no charge.
    That will apply to my car so thanks for the update. I have not received any notice.

I am scheduled for the recall on Thursday. The advisor was not sure about the time it would take but he thought 1 hour or less. I'll let you know how it goes. I will try to watch the show reprogramming.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    I am scheduled for the recall on Thursday. The advisor was not sure about the time it would take but he thought 1 hour or less. I'll let you know how it goes. I will try to watch the show reprogramming.
    So the recall also affects FWD as well as AWD? I am interested in what modules are updated. I Look forward to your update.

Good luck.

Watched the entire reprogram event. The tech showed everything from the plug in to my car, then the computer recognition of my car with VIN number to engine, etc. after contacting Ford/Lincoln. It then scanned through all of the computers in the car and located the one to update. The computer then eliminated the data and added the changes. It did another check to make sure that all was OK. It was done! The reprogramming took about 11 minutes. Interesting to see how many computers are in the Lincoln. Al that is on my sheet from the dealer is reprogram PCM campaign open 17B-21.

Thanks for the update and the campaign number.

By the way, the tech did tell me that it was possible that the car would not drive the same. I asked him what he meant. He said the car learns your driving ways and keeps them . After the reprogramming it may have to start all over. I did not find this to be true. My car still likes to go fast !

By the way, the tech did tell me that it was possible that the car would not drive the same. I asked him what he meant. He said the car learns your driving ways and keeps them . After the reprogramming it may have to start all over. I did not find this to be true. My car still likes to go fast !
    You two are a perfectly matched pair. Enjoy.

Remove this ad
    Since I only have about a year left to enjoy my Continental , I will love every minute while driving it. But I definitely prefer fast over slow and so does my Conti.