Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2001 LTC Interior Fans are finicky
    Ecstatic is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2001 Town Car Cartier

Question 2001 LTC Interior Fans are finicky

Remove this ad
    I have a 2001 Town Car Cartier and my interior fans for A/c and heat seem to choose whether they want to work or not. Sometimes they work fine, then I turn off my car and go into the store, come back out and the fans just won't blow. The controls for the fans say they're on full blast and that the A/C is on, but no blowing at any speeds. I don't think it's anything with the A/C or heat as you can feel a slight bit of cold/warm air leak out from the vents, but not enough to heat/cool the car.

They also seem to stop working in either extreme cold or heat. This winter on the coldest days, it would stop working, and not begin working again until it got much warmer 2-3 weeks later. Same with this summer, on the hottest days it will stop working mid-way through the day when it's the hottest, then won't start working until several days of it being milder. But in the spring and fall, I never ever have this problem for months at a time. I've been dealing with this issue for the past year or so and temperature appears to be a consistent factor. Not sure if this would be a clue for anything.

I recently took it to my mechanic who gave it the once over. They said the fans, blower motor, and A/C+heat were fine and everything looked normal. They took out the parts they felt could be a culprit and put them back in and it worked for about 1 week (even on scorching hot days it worked perfectly) and now it's stopped again. I also checked the fuses and they're all good.

I'm no mechanic, so anyone who may know something I could check out would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

there's a small ecu like thing bolted to the firewall call blower motor speed resistor.
    next time your blower doesn't work, use any blunt thing to hit that ECU and if you got wind blowing, that resistor should be replaced.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    I think 24000rpm is probably right about the BMSC (Blower Motor Speed Control). It provides the blower fan with a full ground or a variable ground (through a resistor) which sets the blower speed. Your symptoms are not typical of the BMSC failure. You will want to confirm that the blower motor power (red) wire is 12 volts and the black wire from the BMSC is grounded to some degree. Since you are getting low blower speed at the high speed setting you may have a grounding problem in the wire to the BMSC, so I would provide a good ground to that wire to confirm. I will get the wiring diagrams for your car and post in this thread in our Tech forum: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ol-replacement

Good luck.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Here is the updated Tech Forum thread with the wiring diagrams: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ol-replacement Note that the wiring colours to the blower motor are not as I thought in my prior post.

Good luck.