Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: '97 TC: C-Pillar Water Stains

Exclamation '97 TC: C-Pillar Water Stains

Remove this ad
    I recently purchased a '96 Town Car & hadn't noticed that there are water stains in the interior where the c-pillars meet the rear deck. Pictures are attached.

Could it be the drain holes?
    If so, is there a diagram that shows the location of the drain holes? Will someone please draw them on a piece of paper & share them? Maybe some pictures? How about describing their location?

Almost every shop I've contacted or visited isn't sure of the cause & doesn't know what I mean by drain holes. Information on the cause & how to resolve it will be greatly appreciated.

TC1.jpgTC2.jpg

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    Need more information on your 1996---does this vehicle have a Moon Roof? There are four drain tubes from the pan under and around the moon roof opening. The hoses drain and appear near each tire. If the drain tubes are plugged, it will not drain as designed.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    If your 1997 or 1996 model has a moon roof then any leaks usually show up through the headliner. It may be possible for the rubber hoses from the moon roof drains going back to have split from age and drain into that area by the window. That might explain why it appears there are a few white stain edge marks a distance away from the dark stain mark in the right pic and not nearly so evident in the left pic. Perhaps caused by greater volume of water occasionally.

An alternative is the leaks as shown in your pictures being caused by the rear window seals failing.

Good luck.

Yes, the car has moonroof.
    I considered the possibility of the drain hoses being plugged, but everything I've found online relates that cause to the effect of the headliner and/or carpet being wet. I haven't been able to find anything mentioning water (stains) in this location.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXTC View Post
    Yes, the car has moonroof.
    I considered the possibility of the drain hoses being plugged, but everything I've found online relates that cause to the effect of the headliner and/or carpet being wet. I haven't been able to find anything mentioning water (stains) in this location.
    If the moon roof drain lines are plugged you will get the overflow at the moon roof that drains down onto the headliner. I am suggesting that the 20 year old rubber hoses to the back of the car may be rotted and open and so allowing drain water into the area of the leak at rear window. If you carefully flow a small amount of water onto the moon roof then you should see water from the drains at each wheel location. You don't want to get a large flow since the water may flow all over the roof and cover the ground in water.

I think the leak is at the rear window seal and so I would flow small amount of water at each side of rear window and see if the leak area gets wet. That is an easier test since the excess water is of no concern.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    If the moon roof drain lines are plugged you will get the overflow at the moon roof that drains down onto the headliner. I am suggesting that the 20 year old rubber hoses to the back of the car may be rotted and open and so allowing drain water into the area of the leak at rear window. If you carefully flow a small amount of water onto the moon roof then you should see water from the drains at each wheel location. You don't want to get a large flow since the water may flow all over the roof and cover the ground in water.

I think the leak is at the rear window seal and so I would flow small amount of water at each side of rear window and see if the leak area gets wet. That is an easier test since the excess water is of no concern.

Good luck.
    OK I'll try them both.
    If it's the hose going to the back of the car, how is it replaced? Does removing the headliner provide access to where it's connected at the top?

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXTC View Post
    OK I'll try them both.
    If it's the hose going to the back of the car, how is it replaced? Does removing the headliner provide access to where it's connected at the top?
    There may be a procedure that I can get.

Good luck.