Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: high miles ? 632,000

high miles ? 632,000

Remove this ad
    high miles ? 632,000
    a little survey on miles driven on our TC verified by mot or carfax
    i will start 632000
    still same engine same gearbox now of course had rotors pads etc replaced but oil every 3000 and fresh fluids yearly
    so what do others have ?

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Honest? Really?? Original engine & trans?? If so, that's great! I'd love to see photos of your car & that 6K odometer!

I bought my Townie in Jan 2014 with 194K on the clock LINK...by 205K, it was apparent the trans was on it's last legs. LINK So I stuffed it in storage when it was apparent it was dying & had the original trans rebuilt last May (I'm ashamed to say I farmed this one out...normally I do all my own wrenching, but I caved into the fact that I'm not getting any younger & the BS that goes with it), and since then, I've been enjoying driving this car immensely all summer!

My Townie, last week...(no, not at my residence YET)

My Townie will click 211K miles sometime next week...engine runs good as new, new trans rebuild is good as new. I will park it in late October for it's winter slumber (along with a few other cars), but WOW, this summer with the Townie has really been fun!

car and house most definitely go together must be a perfect match

linc2.jpg heres a pic

linc9.jpglinc10.jpg more pic not big am not sure why

linc9.jpglinc10.jpg more pic not big am not sure why

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    I think you right clicked on the small attachment image instead of bringing up the attachment as a picture and right clicking on that picture and selecting copy image address.

Good luck.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    No that is not the way to display the picture in your post. I copied the image address of your engine, and I did this:

[img]paste the image address here[/img] NOTE: there are no spaces just the image address, but you need a space after the last ]

and it turns out like this:

The all knowledgeable Slick Fan explains the details in post #12 here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...2748#post62748

Good luck.

like it thankyou

My Town Car is young by those standards - only 95.000 miles, most of them run in Sweden since 2007. But I feel it has plenty of wobbles and niggles, which I am about to take on now (just got the car three weeks ago). On my list of worries:

- a strange, constant whining sound seemingly linked to the throttle (will have it checked out next week by the village prodigy)
    - headlight covers full of water (thanks to user Town, this may soon be a thing of the past)
    - AC doesn't work (I assume it needs to be filled; the heater is working fine)
    - foot well fan not working (assuming a blown fuse)
    - monitor in front of me giving me "change oil!" warnings even though oil change has only been done 600 miles ago (the dealer says he doesn't have what it takes to reset the computer)
    - top of the steering wheel looks like someone put acid on it; may need to replace it
    - front tires are old and wobbly (will put on good, studded winter tires soon here though, so help is on the way)

Here some images:

IMG_6460.jpgIMG_6469.jpgIMG_6516.jpgIMG_6624.jpgIMG_6976.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tahini View Post
    My Town Car is young by those standards - only 95.000 miles, most of them run in Sweden since 2007. But I feel it has plenty of wobbles and niggles, which I am about to take on now (just got the car three weeks ago). On my list of worries:

0. a strange, constant whining sound seemingly linked to the throttle (will have it checked out next week by the village prodigy)
    - headlight covers full of water (thanks to user Town, this may soon be a thing of the past)
    1. AC doesn't work (I assume it needs to be filled; the heater is working fine)
    2. foot well fan not working (assuming a blown fuse)
    3. monitor in front of me giving me "change oil!" warnings even though oil change has only been done 600 miles ago (the dealer says he doesn't have what it takes to reset the computer)
    - top of the steering wheel looks like someone put acid on it; may need to replace it
    4. front tires are old and wobbly (will put on good, studded winter tires soon here though, so help is on the way)
    0. I thought the noise was a grinding, but a whining is the hypoy differential gears or possibly a broken belt as possible with item 4 however normally present at most speeds and throttle loading?
    1. Possible accumulator leaking problem. It is mounted low and just behind the radiator and subject to lots of salt build-up on the top and other areas. It rusts through in a short time. I put grease all over it and seems to have given it extra life. But could be other areas.
    2. The HVAC blower could be faulty but more often it is the BMSC (blower motor speed control) that varies the ground to change the speed. Check the two wires for the blower, one is powered by ign through a fuse and relay (see BMSC thread noted below at post #5) on and the other is a ground. If both work properly then you have a bad blower motor but if the ground is bad then you need to replace the BMSC. The procedure for your car is here in our Tech forum: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ol-replacement
    3. The oil minder has to be reset after each oil change. It is a user friendly task using the 4 buttons to the right of steering wheel. The left most button is "setup" so press that then press "Select" to show the list of features that include the oil minder feature first. It displays with the current % of oil life remaining. Press the far right button "Reset" and hold until the % is 100%. I think I then pressed setup and the system then times out and goes back to normal operation. The following is the 2006 Owner Manual instructions for various features:

Setup menu
    Press this control for the following displays:
    • System Check
    • Display (odometer/speedometer)
    • Font Size (normal/large)
    • Units (English/Metric)
    • Language
    • Compass Zone/Calibration
    • Oil Minder Start Value
    System check
    Selecting this function from the
    SETUP menu causes the message
    center to cycle through each of the
    systems being monitored. For each
    of the monitored systems, the
    message center will indicate either
    an OK message or a warning
    message for three seconds.
    Pressing the SELECT control cycles the message center through each of
    the systems being monitored.
    The sequence of the system check report and how it appears in the
    message center is as follows:
    1. OIL LIFE
    — PRESS RESET IF NEW OIL
    2. WASHER FLUID
    3. AIR SUSPENSION
    4. RECONFIGURABLE TELLTALES
    — OK
    — FAILED RED
    — FAILED AMBER

4. I did not know that your tires were in that bad a shape. Sounds like the belts have failed and that is a dangerous condition. You usually get vibrations (especially while braking) and unusual noises when the belts have failed. The tire could blow and deflate so rapidly that you lose control at speed. I would replace them sooner than later.

Good luck.

@Town, you are worth your weight in gold, man! Thanks again for these diagnostics. The strange noise reminds me of a ball bearing running low on lubrication, and I couldn't really say how that relates to classification as a whining or grinding noise; it is very audible between 20 and 50 mph, and then fades into the wind- and road noise. Hopefully, the mechanic here will find the root of it this coming week.

The front tires do seem to have some cracks in the side walls near the rims; I did show it to our mechanic here, who basically declared them OK - which is probably true then, given that the man makes a living selling tires, too. But I can feel vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed, and you can actually see the steering wheel vibrate. I am hoping that that will be all solved by putting on new and nicely balanced tires soon.

There is a bit of a brake wobble at low speed, which I have often had on American cars, sometimes brought on by people not using proper torqued wrenches to tighten the wheel nuts. I hope they didn't warp the discs, and am also hoping for the best once the new tires are on with this aspect.

I think the guy who had the car before me must have been a right Neanderthal; it's a miracle how the engine and transmission are still so smooth, given the neglect he seems to have subjected the poor thing to.

wow very good i will follow advice too thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Tahini View Post
    @Town, you are worth your weight in gold, man! Thanks again for these diagnostics. The strange noise reminds me of a ball bearing running low on lubrication, and I couldn't really say how that relates to classification as a whining or grinding noise; it is very audible between 20 and 50 mph, and then fades into the wind- and road noise. Hopefully, the mechanic here will find the root of it this coming week.

The front tires do seem to have some cracks in the side walls near the rims; I did show it to our mechanic here, who basically declared them OK - which is probably true then, given that the man makes a living selling tires, too. But I can feel vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed, and you can actually see the steering wheel vibrate. I am hoping that that will be all solved by putting on new and nicely balanced tires soon.

There is a bit of a brake wobble at low speed, which I have often had on American cars, sometimes brought on by people not using proper torqued wrenches to tighten the wheel nuts. I hope they didn't warp the discs, and am also hoping for the best once the new tires are on with this aspect.

I think the guy who had the car before me must have been a right Neanderthal; it's a miracle how the engine and transmission are still so smooth, given the neglect he seems to have subjected the poor thing to.
    its a towncar not a euro shoebox why it survived

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    its a towncar not a euro shoebox why it survived
    I would agree - that is why I bought it, I was tired of "rice piles" (that's how we call old cars that are falling apart here in Sweden). I wanted a car with a finite number of possible trouble spots, not like my Mercedes 300 SE or my Citroen CX or my Jaguar XJ used to be. Those were crazy - the list of things that worked was always shorter than the list of defects. And it would cost a fortune to get to these, because these cars were all so complicated in build. Like, my Mercedes had a fuel pump relay that tended to overheat; a ten Dollar part, but to get to it, they actually had to cut out the welded-in fuel tank and replace it, plus take out the rear axle (which, in a Mercedes, is a crazy ten-linkage thing that looks like an octopus from Mars). A few thousand dollars later, my ten dollar part was in. Makes you question the meaning of life.

I really believe once my Town Car is all clear regarding its current hiccups, it'll be great for a long time. I've been driving my trusty 1986 Pontiac Parisienne for 23 years now, no issues ever, and going super strong, too; the Town Car, I am sure, can do that, too (but with ABS and airbags, which you'll want where I live).