Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Where to buy engine rebuild kit?

Where to buy engine rebuild kit?

Remove this ad
    I don't know the quality of those ebay sellers.
    Where do you guys buy from?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by 24000rpm View Post
    I don't know the quality of those ebay sellers.
    Where do you guys buy from?
    Are you looking for a short block (cylinder block fitted with crank and pistons) or long block (addition of timing gear and heads) or something else so you do all the work yourself?

I'll do all works myself, so I need all gaskets, new pistons, new rings, new bearings, valve stem seals, oil pumps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Are you looking for a short block (cylinder block fitted with crank and pistons) or long block (addition of timing gear and heads) or something else so you do all the work yourself?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    I'll do all works myself, so I need all gaskets, new pistons, new rings, new bearings, valve stem seals, oil pumps, etc.
    I have no experience in rebuilding an engine; there is so much critical experience required. Measuring the major parts for wear and the need for machining to a standard spec is critical for block and crankshaft. There is a difference between rebuilding an engine compared to swapping parts, and the results will have a big difference in performance too.

I think you are assuming the crank, bore diameter and block to head surface are all to standard spec which is probably not true if the engine is worn enough to benefit from a rebuild. Usually the block will need boring to a standard over-size to accommodate wear and ovalising of the bore (but you cannot tell without accurate measurements). The heads need to be checked for warping.

It is unlikely the parts you need will come in a kit, you will need to buy several kits. For the head gaskets and seals I like Fel-Pro but Motorcraft are very good too. There are some parts like new head bolts, etc that are not obvious but necessary.

Good luck.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Summit or Jeg's are my two online stores I get rebuild "kits" from.
    But as Town alluded, there is critical experience needed. Do you have prior experience rebuilding engines? You need to have the block, crank, heads checked out & measured by a machine shop. For example, the cylinders & crank will likely need to be bored & turned to an oversize. Once those sizes are determined, THEN you order your rebuild parts, with the correct piston & bearing sizes, etc.

For example...my most recent rebuild was a 460 for my '77 TC. This car came to me with a grenaded engine...literally! Big 'ol BANG! Once I had the old engine hanging in the air, the oil pan & block looked like this...

Inside was worse. There's a severed rod (there were three, this is the worst), a chunk of crankshaft counterweight!! And other various bits...

When the rods broke, something went north & shoved the cam forward. As it went forward, the cam lobes split any lifters it could reach in half...

Remember the broken rod pictured above? Yeah, this is the piston that rod was previously attached to. LOL There's more, but you get the idea.

Continued due to funky forum photo limit...

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Anyway, I had to find another engine, obviously. I lucked out to find one from a van, made the same year, with the same casting numbers on the block...SWEET!
    So here's that block back from the machine shop, mounted on my stand, for assembly. Here I've just made sure my main bearing clearances are correct for the crank & have torqued the mains. The piston & rod assemblies are going in next...

Done!

Dial indicator on #1 piston, to help degree the cam. Here the cam has been degreed & the timing cover is on loose, to center the seal on the crank. The harmonic balancer shown there, I discovered that the outer ring had spun a bit & the timing marks were off by 40 degrees. Gotta love old parts!

Flipped upside down to install the pickup tube on the Melling hi-volume oil pump.

Fresh valve job & surfacing on the heads...

FelPro (Town is right, these are the best) head gaskets laid on for head #2...

BAM! Heads & intake (and other stuff) are on, flipped upside down to install the Milodon oil pan. I was really tempted to leave it gold...that's why I pre-painted the pan bolts.

But in the end, I decided it's not a race car engine, it's for a Lincoln, so I covered it in Ford Blue.

After the initial fire-up. Please ignore the red plug wires. The gauge in the photo is a mechanical oil pressure gauge...I needed to see what the real oil pressure was reading.

BTW, that pressure was (during cam break-in)...

The car loves it's new engine.

Slick Fan, that is great. Congratulations on your skill and experience.

slick fan, thank you for the photos, are you referring to summitracing? I have limited knowledge on rebuilding engine, but I have a master that is right by my side teaching me step by step on how to do it.

Remove this ad
    slick fan, thank you for the photos, are you referring to summitracing? I have limited knowledge on rebuilding engine, but I have a master that is right by my side teaching me step by step on how to do it.
    Yes, sorry, Summit Racing. They are very good to deal with.
    Good, if you have a master to help you, that would be very beneficial for you & help you avoid some of the pitfalls that could occur. Good luck with your rebuild!

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Slick Fan, that is great. Congratulations on your skill and experience.
    Thanks for the nice compliment Town, I appreciate that!