Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: just bought 2nd Town car, 2001 Executive L, major electrical problems.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 24000rpm View Post
    ok great!
    is it possible to see what the causes of the following DTCs ?

DDM: b1322 b1402 b1318 u1199
    LCM: b1334 b1340
    HEC: B1318 B1201 U2013
    RCM(airbag) : B2295, B1869, B2292
    RASM(air suspension): B1318 B1318
    another module, not sure what it is: p0200, c1394, u35A0
    DTC B1322 is Door ajar LF short to ground so see attached document 2 that has the pinpoint tests D to diagnose the problem and fix it.

DTC B1402 is driver power window down circuit failure. See attached document 3 that has the pinpoint tests B to diagnose and fix the problem. However, I think you described this problem in your earlier post where 2 switches will operate the function, one switch in one direction and the other switch to reverse. I think I gave you the driver side switch panel electrical charts to see if the wiring was correctly positioned.

DTC B1318 is the low battery problem that is common problem on your car, but this time I cannot see any specific tests with the DDM module for this condition, and I imagine the main car battery and its charging are fine.

DTC U1199 is SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol communication network using twisted pair wiring) invalid or missing data for external access (doors). The correction is to carry out a DDM self test.

Attached as document 1 is the procedure to access the DDM for the electrical connections.

As noted in previous post the DDM electrical charts are in this thread in our Tech forum: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ontrol-modules

Good luck.

great, Town, owe you a lot.

What is this red arrow component ? with green connector/protectors stuff.

I have a coupling clip inside of one of the hoses broken down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD; 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (sold)
    What is this red arrow component ? with green connector/protectors stuff.

I have a coupling clip inside of one of the hoses broken down
    It is the emission control vent. Opened by the PCM to draw fuel vapours from fuel tank and carbon loaded box system and into the intake manifold. Often the hose rips open from fuel vapors and vacuum.

Good luck.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    Looking at that last photo, you may want to replace your upper radiator hose soon, that thing is looking pretty mushy near the clamp.

thank you for the tip. Do you have a 98-02 town car?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Fan View Post
    Looking at that last photo, you may want to replace your upper radiator hose soon, that thing is looking pretty mushy near the clamp.

so I had my 4 wheel caps off the car, and what surprised me is that they are different.

2 of them has blank lincoln sign, the other 2 has black filling on them.

Which ones are original for the 2001 executive L? or both are original due to options but only 1 type should be on the car?

I also noted that the blank lincoln sign covers are yellowish in color, is that because of age degrading it or did it come with that color when new?

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Attached is the electrical diagrams schematic for the 2001 Town Cars. This will help you figure out the switch and motor wiring for item 10.
    do you have a 2005 rear lights diagram and any idea where trailer hitch light plug is thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    do you have a 2005 rear lights diagram and any idea where trailer hitch light plug is thankyou
    I probably have that info for the 2007 model which should be the same. I cannot currently access the wiring diagrams on Windows 10 so I will try to install on another system. I doubt there would be a trailer hitch plug as typically that is done for a factory trailer towing package. We will see anyway.

Good luck to you and me.

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC, 2003 Aviator
    I probably have that info for the 2007 model which should be the same. I cannot currently access the wiring diagrams on Windows 10 so I will try to install on another system. I doubt there would be a trailer hitch plug as typically that is done for a factory trailer towing package. We will see anyway.

Good luck to you and me.
    Grrr...Windows 10

I have an old Toshiba laptop running XP and tried the "double sided" disc on that but the drive is not compatible with the disc. Sorry.

On Windows 10 I can see the diagrams (Cell 92) you want but it will not load them. When my Virtual XP environment worked on Windows 10 I did save 4 files (Cell 90) for the turn signals, so perhaps they would help you. They are attached.

Good luck.

does anyone has a guide or something that's educational on our 4.6 v8 rebuild? With pictures preferably.
    And does any one know how the harnesses, especially on the passenger side of the engine bay are routed. I am not looking for how they are "connected", i am looking for how there are positioned under the hood.

does anyone has a guide or something that's educational on our 4.6 v8 rebuild? With pictures preferably.
    And does any one know how the harnesses, especially on the passenger side of the engine bay are routed. I am not looking for how they are "connected", i am looking for how there are positioned under the hood.
    I have put the procedures that will help you in our Tech forum here: https://lincolnforums.com/forums/thr...ld-and-install You will see in the first post the engine under hood component views that include the wiring looms that may help you with routing.

Good luck.

1. My engine was spewing out blue smoke even when idling, so I decided to take the engine off for a full build.
    2. good time to put new seals on the transmission as well, its leaking oil everywhere
    3. look at the 4th photograph(IMG_2720), you'll see a ground wire that seems to be broken, I checked the other car I have and it is broken as well. Should it be connected to somewhere?
    4. interestingly, there's no crash bracket on the back of the engine, so its time to get one. (5th photograph, IMG_2766.jpg)

this is a photo I took from the passenger wheel well towards front of car (battery removed)
    You'll see a rubber pad that goes between the frame and the front bumper support. Does anyone know what part # it is? I can't find it on fordparts.com

the firewall heat-protection materials are falling off, what's the solution to this?

updates

obviously, due to heat and age, the tabs at the fuel injector connector are all gone, and that's how it gave me missing cylinders from time to time. Funny I used to have to pop the hood and manually press in the connector on public highways before this rebuild, i know i know, that's dangerous. anyway, I bought ford focus connectors and cut it somehow to fit our town car. cost $1 each.

air intakes off
    valve cover off
    timing cover off
    oil pan off

cracked timing chain guide
    non-retractable tensioner

ironically, it didn't give any noise before the build

heads off
    piston off
    crankshaft off
    bare block time
    and measurement time

1. My engine was spewing out blue smoke even when idling, so I decided to take the engine off for a full build.
    2. good time to put new seals on the transmission as well, its leaking oil everywhere
    3. look at the 4th photograph(IMG_2720), you'll see a ground wire that seems to be broken, I checked the other car I have and it is broken as well. Should it be connected to somewhere?
    4. interestingly, there's no crash bracket on the back of the engine, so its time to get one. (5th photograph, IMG_2766.jpg)
    The braided wire looks like an engine ground, so there should be a connector to an engine or transmission bolt. The is usually another ground from the battery to the body and the alternator area of the engine. I would get both your car's grounds fixed.

Good luck

this is a photo I took from the passenger wheel well towards front of car (battery removed)
    You'll see a rubber pad that goes between the frame and the front bumper support. Does anyone know what part # it is? I can't find it on fordparts.com
    That is the body mount to connect body to frame. There are about 11 of them connecting body and frame. There is a chart that shows their locations.

Good luck.

the firewall heat-protection materials are falling off, what's the solution to this?
    Other than replacing the insulation you could cover the open end with some plastic or tin foil and tape or glue it back into place.

Good luck.

heads off
    piston off
    crankshaft off
    bare block time
    and measurement time
    I don't see any identification for the con rods or the main bearing caps so they go back to the same locations. Perhaps you have another method.

Good luck.

Remove this ad
    yes, Town, I have marks on each of the rods and caps so they won't mix up. Just can't be seen from the pics I posted.

I don't see any identification for the con rods or the main bearing caps so they go back to the same locations. Perhaps you have another method.

Good luck.