lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Steering Wheel Memory

Steering Wheel Memory

Remove this ad
    My Steering Wheel forgets its memory position. Every time I drive the car, the Steering Wheel positions itself just a little bit lower then the last time I drove it. (Also does other strange things I won't mention here). Every two or three days, I have to reset it higher. Decided to have my Servicing Dealer take a look at it last Monday. They said that Lincoln knows about the problem. Although there is no TSB out on it (yet), there is a General Service Message on it. For some reason, they could not fix it at that time. Something to do with connecting with Lincolns computers to the Dealer Service Department Computer. (Not being a Tech Guy, I don't fully understand it).

Spoke with Service Dept today, and they checked, and they now can flash the computer. Have an appointment for next Monday morning.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I have the "easy in/out" feature disabled on my car and the wheel is locked in a very low position close to the dash, so I have not noticed the problem that you have. Good luck with your service appointment. Hope you will update us on the results and any official documentation that would allow me to get that problem fixed.

Dealer did the re-flash today. So far, so good, but only time will tell. I'll post again in a week or so to report on it.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Thanks for the update.

So far, so good. Working like it should since the reflash. Will see if the fix lasts.

Did not last. Steering wheel STILL creeps lower. Just for the heck of it, last Tuesday, I set the memory for myself to Driver 1, and to Driver 3. I always use Driver 1 position. Today, when I saw that it had creeped lower in Driver 1, I pushed button for Driver 3. Went right to the position I had set. Now, as an experiment, I'm going to start driving with Driver 3 set. Will see what happens.

Perhaps reset driver 1 memory while it is in the right position. Then you can toggle 1 and 3 to keep the setting correct. You could also use driver 2 memory for extra insurance.

Good luck with your dealer for the actual fix.

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    This just happened to my husband . He doesn't drive the Conti but he uses setting 2. He noticed the steering wheel setting was not correct. He reset it . We stopped and when we returned to the car the wheel setting was gone. At first he thought he bumped it but he rest it again.. next time he gets in we will see if it maintains

GomezAddams is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    I have a 2014 MKZ Hybrid (until tomorrow when I get my Continental) and have the same issue with the steering column and more. I even had the column replaced twice under warranty. I have saved settings that have the colmn fully extended but the extention was not part of the exit memory so the column never wentback in. it is designed that way on a MKZ. so I made another saved setting that fully moves the column up and in. after doing that several times a day for a year and a half the column kept getting stuck and did not work through the full range of motion. after replacing the column t happened again with the new column a year later. It was replaced again and so far so good.. But it still does not return to the correct position after a while. I stopped worrying about it since I ordered my Continental..

Remove this ad
    I've been using the number 3 position for the past week. Same problem. With each use, the wheel goes to a very slightly lower position. After a few days, it is very noticeable. Now I know it has nothing to do with the number 1 or 3 positions. Will let dealer talk it over with Lincoln, perhaps to change memory unit.