lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Road noise issues

Unhappy Road noise issues

Remove this ad
    I'm wondering if I am the only owner who has the problem of terrible road noise with my 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires. My son has a Mazda 3 that drives quieter than my new Continent.

Gempos

Town is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Welcome to the forum. We have a forum for the new Continental so perhaps your thread could be moved there for you so more eyes can help.

I drove a Continental demonstrator, a Reserve with all the bells and whistles that had the 20" wheels and Goodyear 245/40R20 tires. I did not find the tires noisy and the whole cabin was as quiet as a mouse at all speeds and road conditions. My son has had 2 Mazda 3 models and they were not quiet cars. There must be a problem somewhere causing the noise. I have the 255/45R19 Michelin tires and I cannot hear them at all, I can feel them though on broken pavement and potholes after our winter.

Have you talked with your dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    Welcome to the forum. We have a forum for the new Continental so perhaps your thread could be moved there for you so more eyes can help.

I drove a Continental demonstrator, a Reserve with all the bells and whistles that had the 20" wheels and Goodyear 245/40R20 tires. I did not find the tires noisy and the whole cabin was as quiet as a mouse at all speeds and road conditions. My son has had 2 Mazda 3 models and they were not quiet cars. There must be a problem somewhere causing the noise. I have the 255/45R19 Michelin tires and I cannot hear them at all, I can feel them though on broken pavement and potholes after our winter.

Have you talked with your dealer?
    I don't have a Continental, but I do have 255/45R19s on my Lincoln. I had to replace one a few days ago because of a road hazard. Discount Tire had trouble finding one. They're not a common size, and are on 4 week backorder from Michelin. Luckily, they found one for me at an "alternate supplier".

Town is online now Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
    I don't have a Continental, but I do have 255/45R19s on my Lincoln. I had to replace one a few days ago because of a road hazard. Discount Tire had trouble finding one. They're not a common size, and are on 4 week backorder from Michelin. Luckily, they found one for me at an "alternate supplier".
    I find the Michelins to be quiet and very good traction, but you probably have a lot more time with those tires than me, do you find them noisy? Can you compare these tires with other similar sized tires of a different make? I have never found Goodyear tires noisy but they were in a much higher profile size, last were 235/60R17 Goodyear Assurance Touring and were quiet as a mouse.

One aspect of noise that might affect Gempos' Continental is tire pressure, the 255/45R19 Michelins are spec'd with 33 psi for my Continental and the 245/40R20 Goodyear on Gempos Continental are spec'd with 39 psi. Perhaps that makes a difference to the noise level. The tire pressure monitor in the Continental gives the actual tire pressure reading for all 4 tires when selecting Disp mode and choosing "fuel... etc" and then selecting "Tire Pressure monitor". The right side of the screen shows all 4 tire pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Town View Post
    I find the Michelins to be quiet and very good traction, but you probably have a lot more time with those tires than me, do you find them noisy? Can you compare these tires with other similar sized tires of a different make? I have never found Goodyear tires noisy but they were in a much higher profile size, last were 235/60R17 Goodyear Assurance Touring and were quiet as a mouse.

One aspect of noise that might affect Gempos' Continental is tire pressure, the 255/45R19 Michelins are spec'd with 33 psi for my Continental and the 245/40R20 Goodyear on Gempos Continental are spec'd with 39 psi. Perhaps that makes a difference to the noise level. The tire pressure monitor in the Continental gives the actual tire pressure reading for all 4 tires when selecting Disp mode and choosing "fuel... etc" and then selecting "Tire Pressure monitor". The right side of the screen shows all 4 tire pressures.
    I've only driven my MKS 6000 miles since I bought it, but the Michelins
    are indeed quiet and perform well (keep in mind, I drive it like a luxury sedan; I have another car for spirited driving). Lincoln recommends 34 psi. I had the Assurance tires on my previous MKZ, and they were quiet too.

Great to hear that both tires have performed well for you too.

Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Remove this ad
    I have the 20" wheels with the Eagle F1 tires. I have not noticed any road noise. Friends who have driven my car also remarked how quiet it rides. It could be the roads that you are driving on ( concrete is noisier) or the tire inflation. I specifically ordered the 20" wheels for the ride and I am very satisfied