lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Continental wheel nut torque requirement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD

Continental wheel nut torque requirement

The Owner's Manual for the 2017 Lincoln Continental lists the wheel stud as M14x1.5 and the torque setting as 162 ft/lbs. That is a lot higher torque than I was expecting since my Town Car only requires 100 ft/lbs. It turns out to be a common torque for M14 studs which are 0.55" in diameter and compares to 9/16" studs which are 0.56" in diameter. So many of the larger US vehicles have torque settings of 150 ft/lbs and for work trucks where 5/8" is a common size the torque setting can be over 200 ft/lbs.

I think the 162 ft/lbs of torque will need a long wrench in the trunk for emergencies and a large torque wrench at home. Some anti-seize on the threads might be a good idea too so that corrosion does not increase the torque requirement. The extract from my Owner's Manual is as follows:

"TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Wheel Lug Nut Torque Specifications

WARNING
    When installing a wheel, always remove any corrosion, dirt or foreign materials present on the mounting surfaces of the wheel or the
    surface of the wheel hub, brake drum or brake disc that contacts the wheel. Make sure that any fasteners that attach the rotor to the
    hub are secured so they do not interfere with the mounting surfaces of the wheel. Installing wheels without correct metal-to-metal contact at
    the wheel mounting surfaces can cause the wheel nuts to loosen and the wheel to come off while your vehicle is in motion, resulting in loss
    of control.

* Bolt size M14 x 1.5 * Torque in Ib-ft (Nm)162 lb.ft (220 Nm)

Torque specifications are for nut and bolt threads free of dirt and rust. Use only Ford recommended replacement fasteners.
    Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque within 100 miles (160 kilometers) after any wheel disturbance (such as tire rotation, changing a
    flat tire, wheel removal).

Page 367"

Good luck.