22k mile 1997 Lincoln Town Car on Hemmings (NH)

Corsart

I just saw this on Hemmings. I'm personally not a fan of the carriage roof, but the interior is gorgeous.

I've never been a fan of these, and especially with all that lard...the roof, the chrome wheel openings....but I especially never understood the point of a "Reserve" auction, the idea that people will somehow engage in a guessing game and get so caught up in it that they'll just bid more than they would if the car was listed at the lowest bid the seller would accept.

mr4d

USA
IMO, "reserve" is a comfort level for the seller because you never really know which audience will show up, but I agree the guessing period is a pain.

Corsart

IMO, "reserve" is a comfort level for the seller because you never really know which audience will show up, but I agree the guessing period is a pain.
No, "Reserve" is a way of creating a situation that (supposedly) engages more bidders in a "Deceptive" attempt (here used correctly) at getting others to do what they otherwise wouldn't, bid more.

The easiest way to achieve the "Comfort" you're referencing is to simply put the opening bid at the minimum acceptable sale amount, no guess work required.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Corpus Christi, TX
In my experience, ultra-low mileage cars aren’t worth a premium price. Every one I’ve owned had an unusually large number of problems. Parts just die of “rigor mortis” - i.e. old age. Especially things like hoses, radiators, fuel pumps, power brake boosters, etc. In many ways, the car's age is more relevant than its mileage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier