2023 Corsair Production

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Arteest

Apr 17, 2022
Silver Spring, Maryland
My Lincoln
Now: 2016 Lincoln MKC | Delivered (refused): 2022 Lincoln Corsair GT | Ordered: 2023 Lincoln Corsair GT
For those that haven't seen this.......Interesting story. I currently have a '22 GT on order since Feb and just added a '23 GT. Wonder if my '22 will be built or flipped to a '23? Exactly as the story indicates, I'm trying a PHEV before going full EV. Strange times in the automotive world. https://fordauthority.com/2022/09/lincoln-corsair-grand-touring-production-cannot-satisfy-demand/
Hi @LinkedMe

I'm in a similar situation inasmuch as I ordered a '22 GT in April, it was just built on September 9, and is scheduled to be delivered to the dealership by the end of this week. The similarity is that I'm also in the process of ordering a '23 GT... the dealership accepted my order this past Friday (September 16) and I expect the email acknowledgement from Lincoln Corporate today or tomorrow. I plan to decline the delivery of the '22 GT when it arrives.

I cannot imagine that any outstanding '22 GT orders would be automatically "flipped" to a '23 GT since the colors (interior/exterior), options, and prices are so different.

BTW, thanks for sharing the link. I had seen the article and, based on the comments in this forum, I'm not surprised to read demand for the GT exceeds Lincoln's production capacity. As it is, I don't expect to see my '23 GT until the end of January... at the earliest.

LinkedMe

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
My Lincoln
2016 MKX Reserve
This may not be the most fiscally responsible thing to do but whenever the '22 comes in I plan on taking it and hopefully the '23 will be built early 2nd quarter, like maybe April. I'll do a trade in or outright sale and hope to "break even" based on used car demand. Also plan on taking advantage of the $7500 tax incentive for both years.

5DH

Sep 15, 2022
This may not be the most fiscally responsible thing to do but whenever the '22 comes in I plan on taking it and hopefully the '23 will be built early 2nd quarter, like maybe April. I'll do a trade in or outright sale and hope to "break even" based on used car demand. Also plan on taking advantage of the $7500 tax incentive for both years.
I have a lot of concern for you with this strategy.

1) The used car market is softening significantly because there is a lot of concern about the economy. You should monitor it yourself, but if it were me I would decline delivery of the '22 and wait for the '23 if you want the '23.

2) You will only get a tax credit for a Corsair delivered in calendar year 2022. Beginning January 1, 2023, two new requirements take effect related to battery components and manufacturing... you get $3,750 if half of the value of the battery is assembled in North America, and $3,750 if 40% of the critical minerals in the battery are mined or processed in the US or Free Trade Act countries - or recycled in North America. Ford/Lincoln has said "stay tuned" as to whether their batteries will meet any criteria in 2023 but personally I am not planning on it qualifying for any tax break. I hope they will figure it out.

LinkedMe

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
My Lincoln
2016 MKX Reserve
I will have to decide as things get closer. Thery just notified me that the '22 was moved back another two weeks. I hope they just flip it to a '23 as the article said but not sure how that will ever work out. Would they flip it but charge the '22 prices? There's a lot that is unclear right now.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
I will have to decide as things get closer. Thery just notified me that the '22 was moved back another two weeks. I hope they just flip it to a '23 as the article said but not sure how that will ever work out. Would they flip it but charge the '22 prices? There's a lot that is unclear right now.

Hi LinkedMe. It is more complicated than my short story answer, but orders for 2022 vehicles are not/can not simply be "flipped" to 2023 orders.
Among the various reasons it can not be automatically "flipped', is that a Purchase Order is a legal contract, so the 2022 Purchase Order (a contract) would need to be rewritten for a new 2023 (and a new contract), with the 2023 Lincoln pricing structure, features, options, option packages etc. And whatever the 2022 Incentives were, if any, would likely no longer be available on the 2023.

Among the buyers options:
- If a 2022 order is not built in time, the order is automatically cancelled by Lincoln and the buyer can reorder a 2023 or do nothing.
- If the 2022 is built, the buyer can accept it.
- If the 2022 is built, the buyer can refuse the 2022 and reorder a 2023.

But as mentioned above, it can not automatically be "flipped" to a 2023. And any reorder of a 2023 will be rewritten with the 2023 Lincoln pricing, options, option packages, changes in Incentives etc.
Of course, what is negotiated as far as final pricing from the Dealership is another story, but that is up to the buyer and Dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind, would be contacting Lincoln Concierge, telling our sad story, and politely asking what type of compensation can be offered to make up for the long wait, cancelled order, and/or whatever other inconveniences may apply. I know of buyers who were compensated with ESP Plans, Maintenance Plans, additional cash Incentives etc.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited:

LinkedMe

Jun 12, 2019
Illinois
My Lincoln
2016 MKX Reserve
Hi LinkedMe. It is more complicated than my short story answer, but orders for 2022 vehicles are not/can not simply be "flipped" to 2023 orders.
Among the various reasons it can not be automatically "flipped', is that a Purchase Order is a legal contract, so the 2022 Purchase Order (a contract) would need to be rewritten for a new 2023 (and a new contract), with the 2023 Lincoln pricing structure, features, options, option packages etc. And whatever the 2022 Incentives were, if any, would likely no longer be available on the 2023.

Among the buyers options:
- If a 2022 order is not built in time, the order is automatically cancelled by Lincoln and the buyer can reorder a 2023 or do nothing.
- If the 2022 is built, the buyer can accept it.
- If the 2022 is built, the buyer can refuse the 2022 and reorder a 2023.

But as mentioned above, it can not automatically be "flipped" to a 2023. And any reorder of a 2023 will be rewritten with the 2023 Lincoln pricing, options, option packages, changes in Incentives etc.
Of course, what is negotiated as far as final pricing from the Dealership is another story, but that is up to the buyer and Dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind, would be contacting Lincoln Concierge, telling our sad story, and politely asking what type of compensation can be offered to make up for the long wait, cancelled order, and/or whatever other inconveniences may apply. I know of buyers who were compensated with ESP Plans, Maintenance Plans, additional cash Incentives etc.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Thanks for your insight on how this may work, to not work for that matter. Yes, as things progress I'll update on how it went and what I decided.