2022 MDX vs Lincoln Aviator

wheeling

Not a fair comparison. The Aviator is way better than the MDX. The only thing the Aviator is worse than the MDX is the wired Carplay.

Corsart

Sam, how are you defining "Luxury"?

SamCarLegion

So, you're using the manufacturers determination?
You can use whatever you want, i follow the guidelines and what the manufacturer claims. You can argue both do not fit the description of luxury like Mercedes, but there’s luxury and there’s luxury. There’s Acura luxury and then there is Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach etc.

Corsart

It's not so much what I want, it's what you've chosen as the criteria for comparison and how you arrived at that definition, You're using a manufacturer's claim..hardly objective or universal.....to compare two products. Without clarifying what the criteria are, how can you evaluate the two products objectively and offer a conclusion that approaches anything near objectivity or usefulness?

SamCarLegion

It's not so much what I want, it's what you've chosen as the criteria for comparison and how you arrived at that definition, You're using a manufacturer's claim..hardly objective or universal.....to compare two products. Without clarifying what the criteria are, how can you evaluate the two products objectively and offer a conclusion that approaches anything near objectivity or usefulness?
I use the industry standard for luxury which mostly categorizes the Acura brand as luxury, as they do for Lincoln. I know journalists that don’t consider Lincoln a luxury brand, but it is generally accepted to be a luxury brand. The criteria is what the brand defines it self and the premium price they charge their customers, the quality and technology they use to differentiate their luxury model to the standard model. It’s what separates a Honda to an Acura. Like what separates a Ford to Lincoln.

Corsart

But there is no "industry standard", that's my point. That Acura considers itself a luxury brand is a marketing and pricing decision..and even the Wiki hyper link in your description would disqualify Acura as a "True" luxury car. That you use a false equivalence to compare 2 products of differing prices, without further defining the actual test criteria for inclusion ("Luxury") makes your comparison an exercise in blatant subjectivity and, excuse me, self importance.

Luxury isn't defined by utility...your glowing over the cargo management system of the Acura, for instance...yet incomprehensibly (and paradoxically) dismissing the Lincoln dash as "Luxurious", or the auto latch doors as useful "for seniors". You can like one car better that's fine. But to base that on false criteria that are ill defined makes this an exercise is absurdity.

What kinds of cars did you grow up with, what were the family cars? Lacking a clear definition of "Luxury", it might be helpful to understand your own frame of reference for it.

SamCarLegion

But there is no "industry standard", that's my point. That Acura considers itself a luxury brand is a marketing and pricing decision..and even the Wiki hyper link in your description would disqualify Acura as a "True" luxury car. That you use a false equivalence to compare 2 products of differing prices, without further defining the actual test criteria for inclusion ("Luxury") makes your comparison an exercise in blatant subjectivity and, excuse me, self importance.

Luxury isn't defined by utility...your glowing over the cargo management system of the Acura, for instance...yet incomprehensibly (and paradoxically) dismissing the Lincoln dash as "Luxurious", or the auto latch doors as useful "for seniors". You can like one car better that's fine. But to base that on false criteria that are ill defined makes this an exercise is absurdity.

What kinds of cars did you grow up with, what were the family cars? Lacking a clear definition of "Luxury", it might be helpful to understand your own frame of reference for
My opinion is that these two brands are luxury brands. The entire automobile industry, journalists consider these two competitors and luxury brand. Buyers cross shop these two. The rest are just opinions of different individuals. If you disagree that they aren’t luxury brands or Acura isn’t, that’s your standard as a buyer. I see it differently!

Corsart

My opinion is that these two brands are luxury brands. The entire automobile industry, journalists consider these two competitors and luxury brand. Buyers cross shop these two. The rest are just opinions of different individuals. If you disagree that they aren’t luxury brands or Acura isn’t, that’s your standard as a buyer. I see it differently!

Sam, I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but it's your review and your criteria. The entire auto industry does not consider Acura a "Luxury" car, typically they refer to it as "Premium". That they compete is based on price. That they are cross shopped is based on price. But, you'd find the buyers of each have different expectations and needs, and you are not defining those adequately, nor have you spent the time to figure those out. It might have been a better exercise for you to use this place to better understand how others with such a different opinion of the product than yourself came to those conclusions, rather than come here to promote yourself and your channel, especially since the basis of your conclusion is faulty given the vastly different nature of both products and their customers.

LincolnFanFl

They are both luxury 3 Row SUV it is a fair comparison.

Well, it's not that simple because the previous poster has a valid point in asking how you define luxury. In my opinion, there are several levels of 'luxury' as well.

My BMW X7 M50i would then be a fair comparison just by being a 'luxury 3 Row SUV' as well but the fact that it is $30K more than the Lincoln should matter as well so you still need to compare apples to apples.;)

Corsart

Well, it's not that simple because the previous poster has a valid point in asking how you define luxury. In my opinion, there are several levels of 'luxury' as well.

My BMW X7 M50i would then be a fair comparison just by being a 'luxury 3 Row SUV' as well but the fact that it is $30K more than the Lincoln should matter as well so you still need to compare apples to apples.;)
I recall a time long ago and far away before the interweb was invented, when people commanded attention and respect not so much out of their own bloated ego but actual qualifications. You know, some attainment of fairly universally accepted criteria. Now, all one seems to need is too much time, some personal interest and a camera.

I suppose this particular reviewer would have a touch more cred if his own observations, opinions and conclusions were at the very least consistent across reviews of the same car over time. He reviewed the Aviator in a comparo with the Genesis just last month (
)and gushed over the Lincoln, only to reverse himself in a schizophrenic moment and conclude the Genesis was the better car, even with less of everything he appreciated in the Lincoln except "Quietness" Fine. One man's opinion, but not a shining moment of credibility.

died4me

MDX and Aviator are not in the same class. It is nonsense to use "Luxury 3 row" as the reason to compare these two vehicles as an apple to apple comparison.

GrumpyOleMan

With the current proliferation of self produced YouTube Journalists there are many reviews online that can be very informative and even entertaining. There also are far too many that do not do their homework and merely drive the vehicle around the block a couple of times while parroting marketing bullets, sometimes bizarre claims and even outright falsehoods. As long as we carefully identify the biases and shortcomings, even these can shed some kind of light. It does appear though that this particular reviewer showed up merely to click bait his YouTube channel and then exit.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
With the current proliferation of self produced YouTube Journalists there are many reviews online that can be very informative and even entertaining. There also are far too many that do not do their homework and merely drive the vehicle around the block a couple of times while parroting marketing bullets, sometimes bizarre claims and even outright falsehoods. As long as we carefully identify the biases and shortcomings, even these can shed some kind of light. It does appear though that this particular reviewer showed up merely to click bait his YouTube channel and then exit.
Maybe so, but you're just grumpy. :ROFLMAO:

Kidding. Yes, it's like asking people about restaurants. It's so subjective.