2021 SYNC 3 NAV map update to be released.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

jay52

as I have learned, a USB 3.0 drive will go a bit faster than a USB2.0, but when you format it, make sure it's exFAT or Fat32, and MBR

the OS takes less space than the MAPS, being that most of the recent USB 3.0 drives tend to be 16 or more, and are cheap, 32 or 16 is fine.
8 might be pushing it.... you also have to remember that the system is unpacking some of it, and the extra space is welcome. 8)
I have a 3.0 32 to use. it is exfat formatted. I hope it will work out again, and those false completions are what u really have to be on top of. Ty for the info!

calabashkid

Hi gang. According to the Lincoln SYNC 3 NAV map update website, the latest SYNC 3 NAV map update will be released September 1st: Lincoln Sync 3 - Home

Good luck.
I downloaded the update files, created the USB, and installed the software apparently successfully, or at least that was the message on the vehicle's screen. However, I now have no voice commands for my navigation system. I have to input manually any searches. Previously I could activate voice navigation commands by saying "Destination", and proceed from there. Now, I cannot. Any thoughts, recommendations, solutions? Thanks much.

bbf2530

I downloaded the update files, created the USB, and installed the software apparently successfully, or at least that was the message on the vehicle's screen. However, I now have no voice commands for my navigation system. I have to input manually any searches. Previously I could activate voice navigation commands by saying "Destination", and proceed from there. Now, I cannot. Any thoughts, recommendations, solutions? Thanks much.

Hi calabashkikd. The usual reason for this is removing the USB too soon and therefore having an incomplete installation

As often mentioned, there are often premature/false, "Your installation is complete...go ahead and remove the USB... etc. etc." (I am paraphrasing). If we are impatient and quickly remove the USB too quickly, the installtion will be incomplete.

Therefore, I always recommend waiting at least 10 minutes after any "Installation complete" messages before removing the USB/shutting off the vehicle etc., in order to allow the system time to continue the installation, reboot etc.

At this point, I would recommend performing the installation again. But do it with fresh installation files. Follow the original instructions to reformat the USB and copy the files over to it again from your computer. Then repeat the installation in your vehicle. But this time, wait at least 10 minutes after any "Installation complete" messages before removing the USB, to allow the system time to continue, reboot etc.

In the past, that has fixed the issue. If it does not fix it for you, then contact the NAV update customer service number or Lincoln Concierge.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

calabashkid

Hi calabashkikd. The usual reason for this is removing the USB too soon and therefore having an incomplete installation

As often mentioned, there are often premature/false, "Your installation is complete...go ahead and remove the USB... etc. etc." (I am paraphrasing). If we are impatient and quickly remove the USB too quickly, the installtion will be incomplete.

Therefore, I always recommend waiting at least 10 minutes after any "Installation complete" messages before removing the USB/shutting off the vehicle etc., in order to allow the system time to continue the installation, reboot etc.

At this point, I would recommend performing the installation again. But do it with fresh installation files. Follow the original instructions to reformat the USB and copy the files over to it again from your computer. Then repeat the installation in your vehicle. But this time, wait at least 10 minutes after any "Installation complete" messages before removing the USB, to allow the system time to continue, reboot etc.

In the past, that has fixed the issue. If it does not fix it for you, then contact the NAV update customer service number or Lincoln Concierge.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
I appreciate your quick response and followed your suggestions, including making a fresh install drive. When I inserted the new drive, I got an Installation Complete message. I was not allowed to reinstall the software. For the record, I do have Sync 3.4, and map version NA 2 22, which are the latest software packages. What happened, however, is that I lost voice commands for my on board navigation. Looking through the forum I haven't found anyone with similar issues so I guess I would have to contact Lincoln service for some help. Thanks, again, and If you know of anyone who experienced similar issues I'd appreciate hearing about it. By the way, I have a '19 MKZ.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Have you tried this, from the Owners Manual:

"The system has a System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC 3 feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any information previously stored in the system (such as paired devices, phonebook, call history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold the Seek Up (>>|) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. After approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black. Allow 1-2 minutes for the system reset to complete. You may then resume using the SYNC 3 system."

bbf2530

I appreciate your quick response and followed your suggestions, including making a fresh install drive. When I inserted the new drive, I got an Installation Complete message. I was not allowed to reinstall the software. For the record, I do have Sync 3.4, and map version NA 2 22, which are the latest software packages. What happened, however, is that I lost voice commands for my on board navigation. Looking through the forum I haven't found anyone with similar issues so I guess I would have to contact Lincoln service for some help. Thanks, again, and If you know of anyone who experienced similar issues I'd appreciate hearing about it. By the way, I have a '19 MKZ.

Hi calabashkid. Sorry to hear a fresh installation did not help. In the past, losing voice commands after a SYNC or NAV map update was usually due to an incomplete installation.

Just two questions:
1) What SYNC version (the full version)is now showing in your SYNC settings?
2) Did you wait at least 10 minutes after getting the "Installation complete" message before removing the USB/restarting the vehicle etc.?

Otherwise, as you said, hopefully another member will jump in with another solution.

Keep us updated and good luck.

EDIT- Or as BL stated above, you can try a SYNC system reset.

calabashkid

Hi calabashkid. Sorry to hear a fresh installation did not help. In the past, losing voice commands after a SYNC or NAV map update was usually due to an incomplete installation.

Just two questions:
1) What SYNC version (the full version)is now showing in your SYNC settings?
2) Did you wait at least 10 minutes after getting the "Installation complete" message before removing the USB/restarting the vehicle etc.?

Otherwise, as you said, hopefully another member will jump in with another solution.

EDIT- Or as BL stated above, you can try a SYNC system reset.
I have Sync version 3.4, which I believe is the latest version, and I did wait for 10 minutes before removing the USB drive. I still have voice commands for everything else, just not for navigation. Is there anywhere on the forum where a sync reset is discussed? Thanks.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
You can use the search function, but this recent thread says it worked for screens going black.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I temporarily lost the voice control function after the map update install. You have to perform a "key cycle" (off and on). I found that it must be off long enough for accessory power to go off.

bbf2530

I have Sync version 3.4, which I believe is the latest version, and I did wait for 10 minutes before removing the USB drive. I still have voice commands for everything else, just not for navigation. Is there anywhere on the forum where a sync reset is discussed? Thanks.

Hi calabashkid. SYNC v3.4.21194 is the latest version (or SYNC 3.4 Build 21194). "SYNC 3.4" is simply the base version. Go into your SYNC settings on your SYNC screen to find your full version.

If you have the latest SYNC version (SYNC v3.4.21194) and a NAV map update reinstall and/or SYNC reset do not help, you will probably need to contact Lincoln Concierge or your Lincoln Dealer for assistance.

Last edited:

calabashkid

I temporarily lost the voice control function after the map update install. You have to perform a "key cycle" (off and on). I found that it must be off long enough for accessory power to go off.
Thanks for the input. I made sure to do a complete key cycle by shutting the engine down, opening the door, waiting for 10 seconds, closing the door and then re-starting. I did a reboot of sync. I have not lost all voice commands, just the commands for navigation. The option doesn't even appear in the list of available commands. This is getting frustrating. Thanks again for pitching in.

Multitask

Los Angeles, Calif
Waiting for much more than 30 seconds is what I believe he meant. like hours....

The Factory Reset tends to be in the 'about' menus
Factory reset just means all settings are purged, nothing is taken back to 'Factory' a misnomer

beyond that I agree, time to have the dealer look at it.

calabashkid

Waiting for much more than 30 seconds is what I believe he meant. like hours....

Factory reset just means all settings are purged, nothing is taken back to 'Factory' a misnomer

I have done the sync reset in the past. It really doesn’t do much but it is a useful tool. At this point I guess I’ll contact Lincoln and see what they have to offer. My system is “mostly” functional. All that is missing are the voice commands for navigation. Thanks all for your input.

calabashkid

I heard back from Ford/Lincoln tech support today via email. They recommended doing a master reset, and then try to reinstall the map update. I asked, again via email, what a master reset actually does. If it resets sync’s version back to something not the current version, then I cannot do the map updates because they require sync 3.4 at the least. I’m waiting for a return email. In the meantime I thought I’d ask here if anyone has done a master reset and can tell me what it will do to the system. Thanks!

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
From the owner site on master resets:

"If you experience problems with SYNC®, you can perform a master reset. This process erases all stored data, such as call history, text message information, and previously paired phones, and restores your system to factory settings"

So, I don't think it reverts Sync back to a previous version. If so, all the bad Sync updates could have been corrected by having everyone do a master reset and go back to factory settings. It just does what it says above.

calabashkid

Thanks, that's what I thought. But this whole update thing has been such a pain for me that I wanted to see if anyone had experience with it. Also, it looks like I'm alone with the issue I'm experiencing. I haven't seen any other postings about map update issues.

bbf2530

I heard back from Ford/Lincoln tech support today via email. They recommended doing a master reset, and then try to reinstall the map update. I asked, again via email, what a master reset actually does. If it resets sync’s version back to something not the current version, then I cannot do the map updates because they require sync 3.4 at the least. I’m waiting for a return email. In the meantime I thought I’d ask here if anyone has done a master reset and can tell me what it will do to the system. Thanks!

Hi calabashkid. As BL stated, a Master Reset does not erase the current SYNC version/revert back to a previous SYNC version. Think of it as analogous to rebooting your PC.

EDIT- However, you will normally need to reset the SYNC settings BL listed.

Last edited:

calabashkid

Hi calabashkid. As BL stated, a Master Reset does not erase the current SYNC version/revert back to a previous SYNC version. Think of it as analogous to rebooting your PC.

EDIT- However, you will normally need to reset the SYNC settings BL listed.

I did the master reset and that fixed the issue. Voice commands for navigation are working again. I did have to reconnect my phone, re-do pre-sets on all radio bands, and reconfigure my wi-fi hot spot. No big deal but things are back to normal, and the sync and map updates held. The current latest versions of each is installed. A big thanks to all in the group who pitched in to help. Each response helped me to understand my issue a little better.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I did the master reset and that fixed the issue. Voice commands for navigation are working again. I did have to reconnect my phone, re-do pre-sets on all radio bands, and reconfigure my wi-fi hot spot. No big deal but things are back to normal, and the sync and map updates held. The current latest versions of each is installed. A big thanks to all in the group who pitched in to help. Each response helped me to understand my issue a little better.
Hey, that's great news! Glad to hear that worked!