2021 SYNC 3 NAV map update to be released.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

austin-tatious

austin tx
Well, wouldn't you know, my previously owned 2017 MKZ was delivered on 8/6 and I updated the maps on 8/8. The map update website says the current version is NA 2 20. Do you know where I can read the version I now have so I can confirm I need NA 2 20? Thanks.

bbf2530

Well, wouldn't you know, my previously owned 2017 MKZ was delivered on 8/6 and I updated the maps on 8/8. The map update website says the current version is NA 2 20. Do you know where I can read the version I now have so I can confirm I need NA 2 20? Thanks.

Hi austin. Well, usually...Go to/click "General" (Or "Settings", I forget at the moment) on your SYNC screen (the little gear icon). Then click "About SYNC". Then scroll if necessary to find the NAV maps version.

If you updated on 8/8, the version now loaded on your car is probably NA 1 19, since NA 2 20 was not yet available for SYNC 3.0 vehicles at that time.
Additionally, if you input your VIN, the SYNC 3 NAV map update website should tell you what version you are eligible for, and thus infers by default what is now installed.

But check your vehicle's SYNC settings for yourself.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

austin-tatious

austin tx
Hi austin. Well, usually...Go to/click "General" (Or "Settings", I forget at the moment) on your SYNC screen (the little gear icon). Then click "About SYNC". Then scroll if necessary to find the NAV maps version.

If you updated on 8/8, the version now loaded on your car is probably NA 1 19, since NA 2 20 was not yet available for SYNC 3.0 vehicles at that time.
Additionally, if you input your VIN, the SYNC 3 NAV map update website should tell you what version you are eligible for, and thus infers by default what is now installed.

But check your vehicle's SYNC settings for yourself.

Yup, it's NA 1 19. Looks like their version numbers are NA = North America, 1 = January, 19 = 2019.

bbf2530

Yup, it's NA 1 19. Looks like their version numbers are NA = North America, 1 = January, 19 = 2019.

Hi austin. Well, not exactly. You are correct that "NA" signifies the North American map update version.

However, in the example you use, "NA 1 19" includes available updates through end of first quarter 2020. So neither "January" or "2019" are applicable.

And the new version "NA 2 20", includes available updates through end of first quarter 2021. The "2" has nothing to do with February, and the 20 is not relevant to the actual updates (end of first quarter 2021).

So "1" and "19", or "2" and "20" are only internal identifiers. They may as well be named "NA Horse Elephant".

Just don't want innocently mistaken information to begin to circulate around and take on a life of its own...lol.

Good luck.

bbf2530

At any rate, maps tend to be about 2-3 years out of date. So 2-20 might be maps that they completed (or are allowing) as of 2018 (or so)
more of an FYI, than anything else.... 8)

Hi Multitask. As Lincoln clearly states on the SYNC 3 map update website, and as has been mentioned here multiple times, the correct information is that NA 2 20 includes all available map, road, POI etc., updates through the end of 1st quarter 2021.

Good luck.

bbf2530

Hi gang. To verify the most up to date and correct information, I just re-checked the Lincoln SYNC 3 NAV map update site for the most up to date, opinion free information (something a few others should give a shot once in a while). Since Lincoln has now updated the SYNC 3 update website, I will make one correction:

As stated earlier, previous NAV map updates included all available updates through the end of 1st quarter of the year they were offered.

So normally, NA 2 20 would include available updates through 1st quarter 2021.
NA 1 19 and NA 2 19 included available updates though end of first quarter 2020, etc.

However, possibly/probably due to the pandemic, Lincoln has now updated the SYNC 3 NAV maps website to state that NA 2 20 includes available updates only through the end of 2nd quarter 2020.

So ~1 1/4 years old at this point.

Good luck all.

jay52

Hello. I dread going through the map update again as it was slow going to get to NA 1 19; however, i'm going to tackle it soon. My quesions: 1) before, it seemed that the type usb had to be 32G. does that still hold true? i think i read that someone said that only 16G will work now. 2) do you click on "order now" to get the instructions for the complimentary download? i don't recall exactly how that worked before, and 3) are there any particular glitches/surprises with this update that i need to prepare for? Ty for help.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hello. I dread going through the map update again as it was slow going to get to NA 1 19; however, i'm going to tackle it soon. My quesions: 1) before, it seemed that the type usb had to be 32G. does that still hold true? i think i read that someone said that only 16G will work now. 2) do you click on "order now" to get the instructions for the complimentary download? i don't recall exactly how that worked before, and 3) are there any particular glitches/surprises with this update that i need to prepare for? Ty for help.
My USB is 32 GB. I think the main thing is to make sure the USB is 3.0, not 2.0. I can't understand why having more space on the USB would affect the download. I read that as well. It didn't affect mine.

Yes, you click Order Now. I don't recall any other glitches.

bbf2530

Hi jay52. The website states the minimum required flash drive size. I believe it is 16GB, but go by the website, not what I say.

Yes, you click on "order now". Once you do that, simply follow the instructions.
There are no particular new glitches/surprises. Simply follow the instructions on the website. And follow the advice and warnings we have all offered in the past:
-Follow the instructions precisely.
-Plan for a 1 hour drive to allow the update to complete .
-Be patient.
-Expect a few premature "Your update is complete" messages.
-Be patient.
-Wait a few minutes and the system will reboot and continue the installation.
-Do not remove the USB until you have a "Your update is complete" message" that stays on your SYNC screen for at least 10 minutes.
-Be patient (hint...hint). ;)

I am sure others will have more good advice to offer.

Last edited:

jay52

My USB is 32 GB. I think the main thing is to make sure the USB is 3.0, not 2.0. I can't understand why having more space on the USB would affect the download. I read that as well. It didn't affect mine.

Yes, you click Order Now. I don't recall any other glitches.
Ty!

bbf2530

I believe it will actually say when it is safe to remove the USB.

Hi BL. Yes, but the issue is: The system will often give a few premature "Safe to remove your USB"/ Your update is complete" messages. Ask me how I know. ;)

However, the update is not really complete, so if the owner is not patient and quickly removes the USB, it will abort the installation before completion. This has happened to more than a few owners.
Leaving the USB in a few extra minutes after these premature messages will result in the system rebooting and continuing the installation.

Therefore, being patient and waiting 10 minutes after any such message is a good plan to go with, since it will give the system time to reboot again, if necessary.

Hope that makes my explanation and warnings clearer.

Good luck.

jay52

Hi jay52. The website states the minimum required flash drive size. I believe it is 16GB, but go by the website, not what I say.

Yes, you click on "order now". Once you do that, simply follow the instructions.
There are no particular new glitches.surprises. Simply follow the instructions on the website. And follow the advice and warnings we have all offered in the past:
-Follow the instructions precisely.
-Plan for a 1 hour drive to allow the update to complete .
-Be patient.
-Expect a few premature "Your update is complete" messages.
-Wait a few minutes and the system will reboot and continue the installation.
-Do not remove the USB until you have a "Your update is complete" message" that stays on your SYNC screen for at least 10 minutes.

I am sure others will have good advice to offer.

yes, i now recall all of the intracacies u mention! Ty.

Multitask

Los Angeles, Calif

as I have learned, a USB 3.0 drive will go a bit faster than a USB2.0, but when you format it, make sure it's exFAT or Fat32, and MBR

the OS takes less space than the MAPS, being that most of the recent USB 3.0 drives tend to be 16 or more, and are cheap, 32 or 16 is fine.
8 might be pushing it.... you also have to remember that the system is unpacking some of it, and the extra space is welcome. 8)