2021 Corsair Grand Touring

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

PaddyH01

Illinois
I agree. Also, I believe there is some circuitry in the cord that cuts off the charging as you unplug. Could be a problem in the cord itself.
Which cord? The one with the J1777 you plug in the car? BTW here are a couple of items that might be of interest.

Attachments

• nema Plug Guide.pdf
    550 KB · Views: 6
  • J1772 Connector.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 7

PaddyH01

Illinois
From what I understand, the charging module is built into the Lincoln and the charging cord is basically an extension cord. It could be that faulty wiring damaged the charging module or it failed for some other reason. Hopefully your dealer figures it out.

We are at the beginning stages of Ford's EV venture so I think many of the technicians at the Ford dealership don't have the experience yet to work on repairing the EVs but I imagine they will learn over time.

Btw, I was thinking how a power surge could possibly fry the charging board in the car so now I'm installing a whole-house surge protector.
Electric vehicle (EV) chargers are actually a bit of a misnomer. That’s because your EV charger is actually onboard the vehicle (as you have said above), taking the AC source from your “wall charger” and converting it to DC, so your car’s battery pack can be recharged. It’s also the reason why they’re officially called Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE), although they’re widely known as a charger since it just makes more sense.

G-214409

My wife has a 2020 CR-V non hybrid with a CVT. It is very smooth. The key to a good CVT, other than reliability, is having an engine with a torque curve with high torque at low rpms. The 1.5T in the CR-V hits max torque (or close to it) at between 1,800 -2,000 rpm rather than 4,000 or 5,000 rpm like many previous "economy" car engines.
I have a CRV and agree the cvt is very smooth. 1.5T has a lot of get up and go. Hard to go back to an automatic and feel shifts again.

Un-decided

I believe there is some circuitry in the cord. As you unplug from the car, the power is turned off at the car plug so there is no danger of shock. A relay of some sort in the cord turns off the power to the car plug.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
I don't have a 6-20R 220VAC outlet, I have a 14-50R 220VAC outlet. The Lincoln Webasto charger is two parts; the 110VAC body and a plug on 220VAC adapter module. I plug the 110VAC part into a normal 110VAC GFCI protected socket. Since I do not have a 6-20R 220VAC socket to plug in the Lincoln Webasto with the 220VAC module, I purchased a 14-50P to 6-20R adapter cable. Not confusing at all. Extension cords do not change voltage or amperage.

Per published Lincoln specs, the 2021 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV has a 14.4kW battery that can charge at a maximum 7.7 kWh. The car always displays the time to charge on the dash when using either 110VAC or 220VAC. The Webasto charger is not rated for using outdoors as it is rated as NEMA 6P (waterproof) not NEMA 4 (outdoor use - extra protection against moisture, snow, ice or wind driven rain) which can be mounted outdoors or in an unheated carport (I live in Chicago). It's J1772 is not waterproof. Before my problems, I found the level 2 public charger in front of my Kohls store charged from my car from 15% to 100% in less than 2 hours.

BTW; per Lincoln engineering, their 220VAC charger provides just 3.8 kWh to charge the 14.4 kW cars' battery. A 32A rated third party EV Stage 2 220VAC charger can provide 7.7 kWh to charge the battery. This requires a dual pole 40A breaker.
Here is a link to the owner's manual. The charging information starts on page 226.

Thank you all for this great info. I am having an electrician come this week to install two 240 outlets for my Corsair and aviator GTs. What exactly should I tell him that I need to get installed to charge the cars? Thank you!

PaddyH01

Illinois
The manual, according to Lincoln service, is talking about a two-wire extension cord, a three wire extension cord with a two prong adapter, etc. The are not talking about a 220VAC 14-50P (plug) to 220VAC 6-20R (socket) adapter cable that is 12" long and rated at 50A suggested by Lincoln service.

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
What exactly should I tell him that I need to get installed to charge the cars?
Here is a link to the Webasto charger that comes with the Corsair GT. It specifies receptacle, see page 6. RedHoncho tried to post a page back, but I get an error when trying to access.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Aviator.

Last edited:

PaddyH01

Illinois
Thank you all for this great info. I am having an electrician come this week to install two 240 outlets for my Corsair and aviator GTs. What exactly should I tell him that I need to get installed to charge the cars? Thank you!
If you just want to use the Lincoln supplied charger have him put in a 220VAC 6-20R (outlet). The Lincoln charger will plug right into that. Both cars are supplied with the same charger. Each 6-20R outlet will require its own double pole 20A breaker. I had my electrician put in a small service panel in my garage for them. I also had him install a GFCI protected 110VAC outlet with it's own breaker for power tools or to use the Lincoln charger on 110VAC. If you are going with a third party higher amp EVSE charger, the unit's typically come with a NEMA 14-50P (plug) so you would need 14-50R outlets and potentially bigger double pole breakers. The Corsair can charge fastest with a 7.7kW input, that takes a 32A charger with 40A dual pole breakers. Make sure everything is well grounded. Use a certified electrician.

Green2021

Hi new to the forum and new to the PHEV world! If this has been answered feel free to direct me to the right place, but I can't seem to find it anywhere and the Lincoln concierge service didn't know either.
Regarding maximizing the life of the battery, what are your charging habits?
1) Plug in every opportunity you can, regardless of current range
2) Plug in only when battery reaches 0-X%

Battery tech is constantly changing and the recommendation for certain types of batteries was to drain them down completely before recharging, whereas others are meant to be charged all the time or have software components to prevent overcharging and damaging the life of the battery.

Thanks!

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Hi new to the forum and new to the PHEV world! If this has been answered feel free to direct me to the right place, but I can't seem to find it anywhere and the Lincoln concierge service didn't know either.
Regarding maximizing the life of the battery, what are your charging habits?
1) Plug in every opportunity you can, regardless of current range
2) Plug in only when battery reaches 0-X%

Battery tech is constantly changing and the recommendation for certain types of batteries was to drain them down completely before recharging, whereas others are meant to be charged all the time or have software components to prevent overcharging and damaging the life of the battery.

Thanks!
The owners manual doesn't address this directly but it does state the batteries are designed to "last the life of the vehicle".

I have been mostly allowing mine to discharge down to almost zero, usually around 2 miles of EV driving left, before I charge. If I have a longer trip coming up I make certain it is fully charged.

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
I recall NiCad batteries in consumer products suffered "memory charge" issues and to extend life they needed to be periodically fully discharged. These batteries are Lithium-Ion and more likely to lose capacity/range as a result of temp extremes - both enviornmental and from excessive charging. Most EV cars don't allow "full" charge but limit charge to some safe % just under full. Here is advice from Motortrend to extend the life and presumably range on a full charge. When fully charged, mine displays 32+ miles range rather than EPA 28, but I've not been able to test "pure EV" range. Despite selecting Pure EV, my ICE has been igniting because it knows something better than me (I think my 12V battery needs charged).

Green2021

Awesome! Thank you both for the input. I've been able to use pure EV in the city pretty regularly. ICE will kick-on only infrequently and temporarily - usually related to an additional amp draw (heated/cooled seats or something else).

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Awesome! Thank you both for the input. I've been able to use pure EV in the city pretty regularly. ICE will kick-on only infrequently and temporarily - usually related to an additional amp draw (heated/cooled seats or something else).
If you want to avoid the dreaded "Your vehicle is in deep sleep mode" message you need to drive where the ICE engages at least once per week. This has to do with keeping the 12V battery charged. Driving in EV mode all the time is great and it is fun to see the outrageous MPG reports but the 12V battery needs some love too and that means engaging the ICE to charge it up.

kingdre

Great morning and Happy thanksgiving. Im new to the Corsair, as replacement for my 2019 MKZ Reserve II. Lemon law repair (stop and go cruise) didnt work, so I now have an UPGRADED '22 Corsair GT in blue coming.

I have to get a charger station or at LEAST the 110 outlet done. Thank you all for sharing so much. I'm learning.

Great morning and Happy thanksgiving. Im new to the Corsair, as replacement for my 2019 MKZ Reserve II. Lemon law repair (stop and go cruise) didnt work, so I now have an UPGRADED '22 Corsair GT in blue coming.

I have to get a charger station or at LEAST the 110 outlet done. Thank you all for sharing so much. I'm learning.
Don’t waste your time with the 110 or waste your money with a charging station. Just get a 240 and you’ll be fine