2021 Corsair Grand Touring

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

SimpleSimon

Today I reached the first 1000 miles in my GT. I've been doing a lot of out of town driving and this vehicle is for both work and personal use. I'm trying to charge at public stations when I'm out of town and usually when I'm choosing the hotel I will stay at I look for a charging station nearby. Charging has been free everywhere I've gone so far. I think that will change once EVs become more abundant.

Right now I'm averaging roughly 60mpg with mostly highway driving and charging at least 40% every day.

My other daily driver is a 2016 VW GTI which is a zippy little hatchback. The Corsair's performance is nowhere near the GTI's but that's comparing a luxury comfort vehicle to a performance hatchback.

Steering in the Corsair is a bit too light for my tastes but I can adapt. The cornering is good, but there is considerable feeling of body roll when driving on a highway ramp, for example. Bumps in the road are absorbed well. On the highway the vehicle does tend to wander a bit, I think because of the light steering feel. I was usually driving 75 mph on highways and acceleration more than sufficient when entering from a highway ramp.

The ride is overall much quieter than I'm used to. With the panoramic roof window headliner retracted the noise gets a bit louder. Otherwise I haven't experienced any rattles or strange noises. The 2.5L Atkinson sort of sounds like a diesel engine I had in a VW a while back, much less refined than I expected. The pedestrian warning system when running on battery is kind of tacky and I wish it was a bit quieter. But these are trivial things and don't distract me much. The Revel sound system is good, and let's you select soundstages (audience or stage). Bass performance in the 80Hz range is strong but not much below that. I wouldn't consider it an audiophile system but it's an improvement over most car stereos. Speaking of the infotainment system, the Sync 3 system has worked pretty flawlessly. I use Android Auto on my Note 20 5G phone and all navigation is done through Google maps. I play music through Spotify and XM and haven't run into any issues.

Overall I am happy with the car and hope it serves well for the next couple of years. Comfort and interior finish is top notch. No regrets so far!

bbf2530

My 2021 Corsair Grand Touring has a turbo 2.5 in-line 4.

Hi paddy. Just as an FYI: The 2.5 I-4 engine in your Corsair GT is not a turbocharged engine.

It is a "2.5L i-VCT Atkinson I-4 Hybrid" engine.

Good luck.

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
My current open question: Is the only mode to charge the main battery "Preserve EV"? I understand dynamic braking charges, but is this in all modes or just PEV? Does it charge while driving or only braking?
Drove into the City today. With this added saddle time I've concluded "Normal" will run ones EV battery down to nothing. Switching to "Preserve" when I hit range = 0 and while on the highway (minimal braking) it did charge the high voltage battery, at a rate of about 1 mile range for every ten driven. Enough to stealthily cruise back into my neighborhood from the highway.

Delighted with the Corsair GT so far with two minor irritants. The drive seat squeaks when going over bumps. I hope to isolate and suppress with a shot of silicone spray, or see if it wears quiet after a while (music seemed to cure it for now). The second is the seat sides feel tight even when fully "relaxed/open". I am enjoying the seat lengthening under my quads so the 24way were a good choice, but I guess have to get used to the "hug".

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
Can anyone explain/confirm that 1) the GT has two electric motors as it says here and 2) does that mean one powers the front wheels (in addition to Atkinson ICE) and one the rear?

I THINK that is correct since when in pure EV mode, I see on the “power distribution“ graphic a periodic split between power coming from the front wheels and the rear (I understand the ICE could be turning on even in Pure EV mode, but don’t believe the ICE is running when this “front and rear” graphic is showing.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Can anyone explain/confirm that 1) the GT has two electric motors as it says here and 2) does that mean one powers the front wheels (in addition to Atkinson ICE) and one the rear?

I THINK that is correct since when in pure EV mode, I see on the “power distribution“ graphic a periodic split between power coming from the front wheels and the rear (I understand the ICE could be turning on even in Pure EV mode, but don’t believe the ICE is running when this “front and rear” graphic is showing.
There are actually three electric motors in addition to the ICE Atkinson. Two power the front wheels and one powers the rear wheels. If you pop open your hood you will see 3 bright orange cables. These provide the power to the electric motors.

I also played around with various drive modes this weekend as we attended a Columbus Symphony performance Saturday night. I drove to the venue in normal mode. By the time we arrived, we had 2 miles left of electric power. The parking garage across from the venue has several free charging stations so I plugged into one of those so it could charge during our performance. By the time we left, the vehicle was fully charged. Half the way home, I put the drive mode into preserve mode and noticed that it was charging at a rate of 1 mile electric per 10 miles travelled as well.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Off to a good start! Glad to hear.

I’ve put in my 250 outlet in my garage (son is an electrician) in anticipation of plugging in the portable charger which I assume comes with the Corsair. Can you confirm it does and is it the Lincoln branded Webasto shown here?
I also had a 250V outlet installed in my garage but I had to pay $1 per volt. :) That's not bad considering some of the quotes I received from other companies.

I'm certain you have found out the Webasto charging cable comes with the vehicle along with a cover plate to keep the cord locked into place.

I did purchase a cable management holder that I will install later this week. That way my cord isn't piled on the floor when not in use.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
There are actually three electric motors in addition to the ICE Atkinson. Two power the front wheels and one powers the rear wheels. If you pop open your hood you will see 3 bright orange cables. These provide the power to the electric motors.

I also played around with various drive modes this weekend as we attended a Columbus Symphony performance Saturday night. I drove to the venue in normal mode. By the time we arrived, we had 2 miles left of electric power. The parking garage across from the venue has several free charging stations so I plugged into one of those so it could charge during our performance. By the time we left, the vehicle was fully charged. Half the way home, I put the drive mode into preserve mode and noticed that it was charging at a rate of 1 mile electric per 10 miles travelled as well.
I stand corrected. There are only 2 electric motors plus the ICE Atkinson.

The fact sheet you posted was the one I was searching for regarding the atributes of the drive modes. Thanks for posting that.

Voidoid

Question for you all: how long after you placed your order did you receive your VIN? I ordered my 2022 GT on Saturday 10/9. I reached out to the dealer this week to check but they haven't responded to the email.

Just curious if I am jumping the gun, or if I generally should have received the VIN after three weeks. Thanks!

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
Ordered 8/2, VIN 9/15 (after I pestered them), visited this order tracking site 10 times a day until the window sticker was posted showing "blend" date of 9/22 then checked 30 times a day. Finally showed "built" 9/28 and ultimately delivered (to the west coast) 10/13. Just surpassed 300 miles....

bbf2530

Question for you all: how long after you placed your order did you receive your VIN? I ordered my 2022 GT on Saturday 10/9. I reached out to the dealer this week to check but they haven't responded to the email.

Just curious if I am jumping the gun, or if I generally should have received the VIN after three weeks. Thanks!

Hi Voidoid. When a VIN is generated depends on scheduling and other manufacturing factors. And with the pandemic induced material and commodity shortages, production (and therefore scheduling) is far slower than in the past.

I know you are excited and anxious to get your new Corsair, so while I would not accuse you of "jumping the gun", it is not unusual for it to take longer (or even far longer) than 3 weeks.

Hope everything runs as smoothly as possible and you have it soon. Good luck.

ICBruin

My 2022 GT order was placed on 9/9 and I have heard nothing since then other than an immediate generic email confirming that the order was placed. My understanding is that I have low order priority (Priority Code 19).

PaddyH01

Illinois
Well, we have reached only 500 miles in one month on our new Corsair GT PHEV. The PHEV portion of the car has been nothing but trouble and has caused two shop trips already. A third is to be scheduled soon. Here's the story:
1. The supplied Lincoln charger had to be used on 110VAC (8-10hr charge) because my 220VAC garage socket is a 14-50R and the 220VAC Lincoln charger (2-3hr charge) has a 6-20P plug. I had paid a certified electrician to install my 220VAC service and that socket was his recommendation because it is used on RVs, welders, etc. A 6-20R socket is OK for 30A but not for 40A and above.
2. The engine trouble LED lighted and an error code was reported when I went to use the car after about a week. The dealer took the car in, returning it the next day saying they has reset the car and had no idea what the error code meant.
3. I had a United Chargers Grizzl-e 220VAC charger installed by the same certified electrician. It worked for a short while but then had to be plugged in over and over to start the charging (car charging ring didn't flash blue but stayed solid white). United Chargers engineering said they believed the car was not communicating with the charger but agreed to RMA the charger for a replacement.
4. I switched over to the Lincoln supplied 110VAC charger while waiting for the replacement. My 110VAC has a GFCI socket. As soon as I plugged in the charger into the car, the GFCI popped. I reset it and this time a puff of smoke accompanied the GFCI popping. Apparently the Lincoln charger had gone bad. The CFCI socket had carbon burn in the socket and had to be replaced ($26).
5. I took the car to service the next day. The agreed that the charger was bad and replaced it. They could only test the 110VAC side because the dealer had no 6-20R socket for the 220VAC. It worked. I told the technician I had a 14-50R 220VAC socket at home and had no way to plug it in either. He suggested I purchase an adapter cable from Amazon ($30). I did later.
6. I used the replacement Lincoln charger on 110VAC until I received the replacement Grizzl-e charger. The Grizzl-e worked off and on for a week until it seemed to fail as well. The Grizzl-e engineer stated again that it was the car at fault as no Grizzl-e faults were reported. The dealer insisted that it wasn't the car but the certified electrician's wiring job. I paid him to check it and all was well. Another $100 investment. I returned the second Grizzi-e saying it just wouldn't work with the car. Since United Chargers had no Corsair GT PHEV to test on, they returned my money.
7. I purchased the 14-50P to 6-50R adapter cable from Amazon ($30) and attached it to the Lincoln 220VAC charger. It did the same thing as the Grizzl-e, no car charge ring flashing blue just stayed solid white. Either the second Lincoln 220VAC charger was bad or the car was.
8. I took the car to a public charger and saw the same: no car charge ring flashing blue just stayed solid white.
9. This morning the car showed 100% charge, 30 miles estimated. I backed the car down our driveway and a city block later it displayed 8 miles used!! A multi-block run for groceries brought it to 12 miles used. The 110VAC side of operation is now degrading. I contacted service and got the bad wiring in your house, bad electrician, bad 3rd party charger, etc., story. I told them everything I reported above and they finally agreed that something was wrong. They insisted that I send the Lincoln charger with the car when they pick it up, "so we can test it as we now have a 6-20R socket installed. They cannot look at it until Nov. 4th but will pick it up and leave a loaner. I agreed.

I do not know what they will find but I have learned how stuck-in-the-past the area's second biggest Ford/Lincoln dealer's service department is. This car is only a hybrid, what will Mach-e and e-F150 find when they need service? Outcome later.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Well, we have reached only 500 miles in one month on our new Corsair GT PHEV. The PHEV portion of the car has been nothing but trouble and has caused two shop trips already. A third is to be scheduled soon. Here's the story:
1. The supplied Lincoln charger had to be used on 110VAC (8-10hr charge) because my 220VAC garage socket is a 14-50R and the 220VAC Lincoln charger (2-3hr charge) has a 6-20P plug. I had paid a certified electrician to install my 220VAC service and that socket was his recommendation because it is used on RVs, welders, etc. A 6-20R socket is OK for 30A but not for 40A and above.
2. The engine trouble LED lighted and an error code was reported when I went to use the car after about a week. The dealer took the car in, returning it the next day saying they has reset the car and had no idea what the error code meant.
3. I had a United Chargers Grizzl-e 220VAC charger installed by the same certified electrician. It worked for a short while but then had to be plugged in over and over to start the charging (car charging ring didn't flash blue but stayed solid white). United Chargers engineering said they believed the car was not communicating with the charger but agreed to RMA the charger for a replacement.
4. I switched over to the Lincoln supplied 110VAC charger while waiting for the replacement. My 110VAC has a GFCI socket. As soon as I plugged in the charger into the car, the GFCI popped. I reset it and this time a puff of smoke accompanied the GFCI popping. Apparently the Lincoln charger had gone bad. The CFCI socket had carbon burn in the socket and had to be replaced ($26).
5. I took the car to service the next day. The agreed that the charger was bad and replaced it. They could only test the 110VAC side because the dealer had no 6-20R socket for the 220VAC. It worked. I told the technician I had a 14-50R 220VAC socket at home and had no way to plug it in either. He suggested I purchase an adapter cable from Amazon ($30). I did later.
6. I used the replacement Lincoln charger on 110VAC until I received the replacement Grizzl-e charger. The Grizzl-e worked off and on for a week until it seemed to fail as well. The Grizzl-e engineer stated again that it was the car at fault as no Grizzl-e faults were reported. The dealer insisted that it wasn't the car but the certified electrician's wiring job. I paid him to check it and all was well. Another $100 investment. I returned the second Grizzi-e saying it just wouldn't work with the car. Since United Chargers had no Corsair GT PHEV to test on, they returned my money.
7. I purchased the 14-50P to 6-50R adapter cable from Amazon ($30) and attached it to the Lincoln 220VAC charger. It did the same thing as the Grizzl-e, no car charge ring flashing blue just stayed solid white. Either the second Lincoln 220VAC charger was bad or the car was.
8. I took the car to a public charger and saw the same: no car charge ring flashing blue just stayed solid white.
9. This morning the car showed 100% charge, 30 miles estimated. I backed the car down our driveway and a city block later it displayed 8 miles used!! A multi-block run for groceries brought it to 12 miles used. The 110VAC side of operation is now degrading. I contacted service and got the bad wiring in your house, bad electrician, bad 3rd party charger, etc., story. I told them everything I reported above and they finally agreed that something was wrong. They insisted that I send the Lincoln charger with the car when they pick it up, "so we can test it as we now have a 6-20R socket installed. They cannot look at it until Nov. 4th but will pick it up and leave a loaner. I agreed.

I do not know what they will find but I have learned how stuck-in-the-past the area's second biggest Ford/Lincoln dealer's service department is. This car is only a hybrid, what will Mach-e and e-F150 find when they need service? Outcome later.
I'm a little confused as I also have a Corsair GT. The supplied charging cord comes with a 120V plug and 240V adapter that fits over it. You shouldn't use any other adapter or outlet other than what Lincoln recommends. The vehicle only draws 16A so anything above 20A is overkill.

I have a 120V 20A GFCI in my garage that I can use as well as the 240V NEMA 6-20R outlet too. with a dual pole 20A breaker on that circuit.

You should be plugging the 240V adapter into a NEMA 6-20R as pictured in this document. Webasto dual-voltage charging cord.pdf

The Corsair GT only draws 16A. The breaker should be a dual pole 20A breaker.

You do not need a high priced Level 2 charging station in your garage. It will not charge your vehicle any faster than the supplied Webasto charging cord when you have it plugged into a 240V NEMA 6-20R outlet. I have used a public Level 2 charging station and it still takes 3 - 4 hours to charge my car if the battery is completely depleted.

It is possible by using the Amazon adapter you've fried the charging cord.

PaddyH01

Illinois
I'm a little confused as I also have a Corsair GT. The supplied charging cord comes with a 120V plug and 240V adapter that fits over it. You shouldn't use any other adapter or outlet other than what Lincoln recommends. The vehicle only draws 16A so anything above 20A is overkill.

I have a 120V 20A GFCI in my garage that I can use as well as the 240V NEMA 6-20R outlet too. with a dual pole 20A breaker on that circuit.

You should be plugging the 240V adapter into a NEMA 6-20R as pictured in this document. Webasto dual-voltage charging cord.pdf

The Corsair GT only draws 16A. The breaker should be a dual pole 20A breaker.

You do not need a high priced Level 2 charging station in your garage. It will not charge your vehicle any faster than the supplied Webasto charging cord when you have it plugged into a 240V NEMA 6-20R outlet. I have used a public Level 2 charging station and it still takes 3 - 4 hours to charge my car if the battery is completely depleted.

It is possible by using the Amazon adapter you've fried the charging cord.
I don't have a 6-20R 220VAC outlet, I have a 14-50R 220VAC outlet. The Lincoln Webasto charger is two parts; the 110VAC body and a plug on 220VAC adapter module. I plug the 110VAC part into a normal 110VAC GFCI protected socket. Since I do not have a 6-20R 220VAC socket to plug in the Lincoln Webasto with the 220VAC module, I purchased a 14-50P to 6-20R adapter cable. Not confusing at all. Extension cords do not change voltage or amperage.

Per published Lincoln specs, the 2021 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV has a 14.4kW battery that can charge at a maximum 7.7 kWh. The car always displays the time to charge on the dash when using either 110VAC or 220VAC. The Webasto charger is not rated for using outdoors as it is rated as NEMA 6P (waterproof) not NEMA 4 (outdoor use - extra protection against moisture, snow, ice or wind driven rain) which can be mounted outdoors or in an unheated carport (I live in Chicago). It's J1772 is not waterproof. Before my problems, I found the level 2 public charger in front of my Kohls store charged from my car from 15% to 100% in less than 2 hours.

BTW; per Lincoln engineering, their 220VAC charger provides just 3.8 kWh to charge the 14.4 kW cars' battery. A 32A rated third party EV Stage 2 220VAC charger can provide 7.7 kWh to charge the battery. This requires a dual pole 40A breaker.

Last edited:

SimpleSimon

From what I understand, the charging module is built into the Lincoln and the charging cord is basically an extension cord. It could be that faulty wiring damaged the charging module or it failed for some other reason. Hopefully your dealer figures it out.

We are at the beginning stages of Ford's EV venture so I think many of the technicians at the Ford dealership don't have the experience yet to work on repairing the EVs but I imagine they will learn over time.

Btw, I was thinking how a power surge could possibly fry the charging board in the car so now I'm installing a whole-house surge protector.

Un-decided

From what I understand, the charging module is built into the Lincoln and the charging cord is basically an extension cord. It could be that faulty wiring damaged the charging module or it failed for some other reason. Hopefully your dealer figures it out.

We are at the beginning stages of Ford's EV venture so I think many of the technicians at the Ford dealership don't have the experience yet to work on repairing the EVs but I imagine they will learn over time.

Btw, I was thinking how a power surge could possibly fry the charging board in the car so now I'm installing a whole-house surge protector.
I agree. Also, I believe there is some circuitry in the cord that cuts off the charging as you unplug. Could be a problem in the cord itself.