2021 Corsair Grand Touring

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

SimpleSimon

Hey guys, I just learned that the 2021 Corsair GT I ordered at the beginning of June has been assigned a VIN and should arrive at my local dealership within the next month. So I thought it would be good to have a thread about the GT trim. This will be my second Lincoln ever, my first being a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. I test drove the Corsair back in June and loved the quietness and looks of it. I was looking at a Reserve trim but when I heard the GT would be an electric hybrid I ordered one the next day. I almost went with a Mach-E but I don't think I'm ready for a fully electric car yet (because of work travel).

Let's see who else has one on order or maybe already has one parked in their garage...

Torch Wayne

Hey guys, I just learned that the 2021 Corsair GT I ordered at the beginning of June has been assigned a VIN and should arrive at my local dealership within the next month. So I thought it would be good to have a thread about the GT trim. This will be my second Lincoln ever, my first being a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. I test drove the Corsair back in June and loved the quietness and looks of it. I was looking at a Reserve trim but when I heard the GT would be an electric hybrid I ordered one the next day. I almost went with a Mach-E but I don't think I'm ready for a fully electric car yet (because of work travel).

Let's see who else has one on order or maybe already has one parked in their garage...
I find my 2020 Corsair a little tight on the right leg distance. I'm 6' 1'' My last car ws a 2016 MKX(natulis) I should of stayed with the larger car. I do like the 30 mpg I'm averaging however.

LinkedMe

I have a 2016 totally loaded MKX Reserve and love it. Looking to change to the 2021 (or 2022) Corsair GT but reluctant to place an order without first driving it. Since the Powertrain is different than the other models ( with a 2.5L & Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), a test drive is paramount. I've heard so many negatives over the years regarding CVT's by most manufacturers I'm a little skittish. I believe I read only Toyota had a decent CVT. I must say, I've never driven a CVT and have a mental block that I may not like it. 🚙

JB IN AZ

Ford/Lincoln hybrid system is a "derivative" of Toyota's system. Ford originally was licensed from Toyota to use it. They both use a planetary gear set type of CVT...CVT is actually not a good description, but....there are no belts or chains. It works really well, and has virtually no reliability issues. The only common thing with "other" CVTs is there are no obvious gear changes. To get an idea how it ( the CVT) feels, you could drive an Escape Hybrid if you could find one....OR any Toyota Hybrid.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
I test drove a Dodge Caliber many years ago with the CVT. Honestly, being old school like I am, it felt like driving a standard with a slipping clutch, weird. I’m sure they’ve come a long way since then, but I just can’t get that feeling out of my head.

JB IN AZ

My wife has a 2020 CR-V non hybrid with a CVT. It is very smooth. The key to a good CVT, other than reliability, is having an engine with a torque curve with high torque at low rpms. The 1.5T in the CR-V hits max torque (or close to it) at between 1,800 -2,000 rpm rather than 4,000 or 5,000 rpm like many previous "economy" car engines.

Voidoid

I just called my dealer to inquire about the Grand Touring - he told me they don't expect shipments until the first quarter of 2022. The wait is going to be the death of me...

Voidoid

That makes me wonder if there is a build issue, other than the "Chip Fiasco"???
I also asked about the Ford Escape PHEV and they did not know when they might receive any. Since both are being assembled at the same plant it sounds like there could be delays on both. He also said (which was particularly frustrating) that Lincoln was prioritizing production of the gas models over the PHEVs.

LinkedMe

I'm just surmising, but it makes sense that PHEV's would require many more Chips than an ICE model??? This guess bears out that theory from the statement below "Even before it gets to its silicon-heavy electric F-150". Here are some excerpts from a recent article I read on the subject;
"...the pandemic shocked the global semiconductor supply chain, leading to shortages in surprising places—and pulling the U.S. semiconductor industry to center stage. The car industry has been hardest hit of all. When the initial lockdowns caused car sales to collapse, automakers cut their orders for parts, including semiconductors. (A typical new car can contain more than a thousand chips.) Chip manufacturers saw the slack and shifted their output to serve the surging demand for consumer electronics, like webcams and laptops."
"But when car sales snapped back last fall, a dramatic misstep became apparent: the automakers couldn’t get enough chips. They still can’t. Missing chips are now expected to lower global output by 3.9 million vehicles in 2021, or 4.6%. Ford alone expects to produce 1.1 million fewer vehicles, leading to a $2.5 billion earnings hit. (Even before it gets to its silicon-heavy electric F-150.). Chips powered the pandemic response—webcams, laptops, COVID-19 testing machines. In New York City alone, the department of education purchased 350,000 iPads."

WChips-web1.png

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
I’d been holding out to test drive the GT (the reserve 2.3 was terrific) and confirm any GT’s would ship in 2021. My local dealer finally returned my many calls asking what they knew about delivery and offered to place my order, but said they would require $6900 above MSRP. I passed and placed an order for a GT (Artisan blue with Cashew and every option but 20” tires) with a different dealer. No promise date there either, (I joined this forum hoping for some info?!) but I’ve concluded I’m willing to wait vs what I saw and felt testing the Audi Q5e and BMW X3. I’m ready for a ride offering luxury and quiet.

SimpleSimon

The retail customer orders go through first, followed by dealer orders. My dealer had a limit of one GT for customer order. My production date is set for week of 08/16/2021. The Kentucky factory was shut down for parts of May, June, and July so things got a bit delayed but production restarted already.

Voidoid

The retail customer orders go through first, followed by dealer orders. My dealer had a limit of one GT for customer order. My production date is set for week of 08/16/2021. The Kentucky factory was shut down for parts of May, June, and July so things got a bit delayed but production restarted already.
Thanks Simon, that's great info (and counter to what my dealer told me.) I don't have a ton of trust in my dealer; when I test drove a Reserve last fall I knew more about the color options, packages and various add-ons than the sales guy... If I can outsmart you after 30 minutes of using the online configurator you're not doing your job very well...

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
Same issue here with dealers, surprisingly being less than eager to pursue an order. I assumed they’d be eager to sell something but with dwindling inventory, I guess it’s a sellers market. I’ve watched hours of YouTube reviews and played with the configurator, even catching it the very day the GT made its initial debut. I asked for a quote and got an automated email reply (featuring the wrong trim) then nothing. I tweaked who was my dealer and tried again. Repeated for five dealers in a 100 mile range. Only one replied and knew the details showing me he knew what he was doing. He got the order. I’ve never ordered a new car before, always dickered over on-the-lot inventory. Paying full MSRP raises my expectations for perfection and eagerness to get into my hands.

JB IN AZ

@Pabaldeagle If this small input helps any, I have put over 9,000 miles on my '21 Reserve, with absolutely ZERO issues.

I know other here do not feel this way, but sadly, that is the nature of online forums.

I would have liked the plug in Hybrid, but I was forced into needing a car quickly, so I lucked out, and my dealer just happened to have one in my color combo and darn near how I would have ordered one in late April 21.

syl

For what it's worth, I have a 2020 Standard, with probably around 3000 miles on it (5K-ish kilometers), with absolutely zero issues, and my dealer experience was excellent. I should perhaps have bought a lottery ticket that day, but it *can* happen.

Voidoid

Did an inventory search on the Lincoln website today, and a pair of GTs have popped up as "dealer ordered" in New Jersey (I searched a 100-mile radius from NYC.) So my dealer is either completely ill-informed about 2022 deliveries or they aren't interested in selling me one... In any event, these two vehicles are the first ones I've seen on the inventory search, which is a great sign!

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
Hope springs eternal! I saw nearly a dozen on cars.com searching for corsair grand touring, all at the same few dealers, even with vins (but no window stickers), but my dealer claims they are “inaccurate” listings (looking for people to “check availability“ and become a prospect.